Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
titus
Level 1
Level 1

Root access Xfce Mint 201104

Post by titus »

Hello,
I've been using LMDE since the beginning with Xfce installed. I've just downloaded the new, "official" Xfce version and installed it for a test run. My problem is that on all other versions, and indeed Distros, during the installation process there is some provision for establishing a Root login and password. I don't see it with Mint Xfce 201104. Using the terminal, passwd will only let me change my users password and attempting to add a user "Root" from the application menu I'm told that a user of that name already exists. Does anyone know how to get iton the Root on Mint Xfce 201104?

I have one comment to make re the distro: I think that the Ubuntu style installation guide should have been retained if new users are to be encouraged, does anyone else agree?

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Root access Xfce Mint 201104

Post by kwevej »

root is there for sure.
If u want to change root's password do this in Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo su -
passwd

titus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by titus »

Thanks for the reply,
I've tried that and when trying to log in as root I always get "Authentication failure". I've re-installed with no change. What I can't understand is why there is apparently no provision to set a root password during installation, is this intentional or have I downloaded a corrupt image? Root is, I'm sure, there but I can't get into it.

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej »

it's not a good idea to use the system at daily basis as root.
The user privilege separation is very important for system and data security.

So, use the normal user, if u need 2be root, type

sudo -i
or

su -
or

sudo su -
You can also change the preferences of the login manager to allow root logins, but I would not recommend it at all.
Sooner or later you will bork your system.

here is some bubuntu discussion regarding that http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=842738

PS: The root password is usually randomly generated, coz you can change it easily after installation (my previous post)

titus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by titus »

Thanks again Kwevej I appreciate you time,
I'm aware of the Perils Of Root and needless to say I would not entertain using it for normal day to day operation. I wanted to transfer a large "root owned" folder from a back-up hard drive and previously I've simply logged on as root, done the job and logged out. To get round it I just changed the ownership to group and went that way.
My puzzlement was caused by the sudden removal of the ability to log in as root, all previous Mint versions (and most other distros I've used) have it. I'm just trying out this Xfce version to see if I like it better than my home-made version, I can log in as root with that but it's not a selling point.
Thanks again for your input.

How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

I would not recommend it at all.
Sooner or later you will bork your system.
Although this advice is well-meaning, as a general statement it is utter BS.
If someone 'borks' their system, it's entirely their own fault.
For a lone punter working in his garden shed to which no-one else has access, working behind the router firewall, working behind his OS firewall, working behind his ISP's firewall and not doing anything stupid like signing on for a 'Russian Bride', so-called risks are vanishingly small. For the extreme paranoid, press the OFF switch on the router (99% have one around the back or on the side). After that, make all the changes you desire - you can destroy your system just as easily without being root.
As an inveterate fiddler, one gets sick of hearing this risk mantra - Linux is NOT Windows! Surely that's the point? You're more likely to get scammed by a doorstep double-glazing salesman. All distros should boot to root by default, if necessary accompanied by a disclaimer. Folks doing dumb things deserve all they get. And in the final analysis, really excellent distros include a recovery mode in their GRUB or live CD/DVD.
Store personal stuff on a /home partition at very least, better a separate disc/USB stick or even a multisession CD/DVD. Everyone needs to think about what they commit to bytes; it was no different with paper or papyrus.

Return to “Xfce”