Xfce on CD

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jask04
Level 1
Level 1

Xfce on CD

Post by jask04 »

Please make the next Xfce release available as a CD iso download.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Xfce on CD

Post by DrHu »

I thought that was the case already..
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725
  • An important thing to notice is the fact that rolling editions are in constant evolution but that a particular ISO image is a snapshot of this edition at a particular time. So, though rolling editions do not get outdated, ISO images do. For this reason we use a timestamp for our ISO images, such as “Linux Mint Xfce (201104)”.
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jeffreyC »

There was a poll on the Mint Blog and only 1% answered that they wanted or needed a CD sized ISO instead of a DVD size ISO.
So Clem decided not to make one.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jask04
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jask04 »

CDs are cheaper is the main reason I like that option.
absamide
Level 1
Level 1

Post by absamide »

I downloaded it before I realized it was DVD. I need it for an older bit of hardware with limited memory capabilities and with that means it doesn't support DVDs.

Sadly it means I am having to look at Xubuntu as my alternative. Maybe if there was an alternate install that was put on CD or something.
aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

You can also try CrunchBang Linux as the iso is made for CD.
senseiski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by senseiski »

Crunchbang is based on Debian Stable, so it is kind of a different deal. Probably you could install one of the weekly builds for Debian testing and then manually add the Linux Mint DE repository. :) I'd have to say it would make sense if at least the Xfce versio of LMDE was fitting on a CD, further implying that it is more lightweight than the Gnome edition.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

senseiski wrote:Probably you could install one of the weekly builds for Debian testing and then manually add the Linux Mint DE repository. :) .
hmm yes install but that is not live session where you can test it and as i found out debian live CD can be also over 1GB. i am still trying to find an actual live CD (i can't boot from DVD on that old maschine). so basically you could install see that the thing doens't work, try to troubleshoot, waste time.... in the end you need to reformat. not cool.
mikecz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikecz »

Get yourself a 2gig USB stick and use Unetbootin to load it (if the machine in question will boot from USB, of course).

I had a machine with just a CD-ROM, and I got a bit fancy with using the Partition Magic distro to make a small partition to hold the ISO, then loaded Ubuntu 10.10 (it was the only distro I had on a bootable CD) onto that little partition, then used unetbootin to set it up to boot from that small partition into the 'Live' mode, then install it ont a partition I made on the rest of the HD, then when all was done I expanded the other partition with the PM
distro.

I actually followed this howto:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/171

I just substituted the intermediate Ubuntu install for the Windows install in this step. You could use any Linux distro, even Mint 11 on CD.... ;-)

MikeC, it was a lot of fun, actually.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

yes, well the easiest way is just to get a floppy disk and add a boot manager to it. i did it like this and it wokred from USB but slow. i am guessing the computer has USB 1.0.

that's not the point. the point is that there should be CDs arround.

also my hard disk is only 20 GB "big". i guess i could modify the current ubuntu grub to be able to boot from usb (maybe). again since USB drive seems to be slow this is kind of pointless.
aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

The reason why we don't have an xfce on cd?

I think a few months back Clem did a survey and one of the questions was whether their system can read DVD 89% answered yes.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1686

BTW you can still use MINT 9 XFCE since support is good until 2013
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

aljoriz wrote:The reason why we don't have an xfce on cd?

I think a few months back Clem did a survey and one of the questions was whether their system can read DVD 89% answered yes.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1686

BTW you can still use MINT 9 XFCE since support is good until 2013

well as i said my computer can read DVD it just cant' boot from it :-P

Mint 9 is really not the same thing. For starters it is based on Ubuntu and more importantly it doesn't use only 100 MB to run. but much more. pointis it is not as light.

I really can't figure out what is with all these DVD editions i see in different distributions. I mean you can fit abotu 4.2GB on a DVD yet most of editions are like 1 Gb or 1.5 GB big. what is the use? why do they leave so much free space on DVD.

Why not fill the DVD completelly with programmes if they are already using a DVD? Why leave more than half of it empty? it's bad for the environement. :-) there could be more usefull programmes on DVD edition and also it might be a usefull thing if user that bought the DVD doesn't have a good internet connection.

And secondly if i can download a DVD then you can just as easilly have some CD version which runs a script or something in the end asking you what things you want to download on install.
sdougs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdougs »

Perhaps Mint is missing a golden opportunity at this time. Linus has revealed he is using Xfce for his DE, a subtle endorsement of Mint for sure.

However, Mint does not offer a Linux Mint Debian Edition Xfce "CD", which would be tremendously useful for those with CD capable systems. It would also conform with Xfce hardware theory.

What a pitty at such an opportune time.

Doug
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Canna help it I must criticize, cause well ... I must criticize. :D

A subtle endorsement of Mint eh ? Yeah LM is the only nix distro in the world using xfce afterall. In one of their releases anyway. :lol: Jmo ... think it's more a not so subtle stab at the direction gnome is taking in his view.

A poll was taken ? And everyone in the world no doubt cast their vote for dvd only, lol. Personally think it's kinda silly. Yep I do have a dvd RW drive ... Though why 900mbs on a 4.7gb dvd would make sense or couldn't be reduced enough to fit on a 700mb cd I can't quite figure out. Esp when 4 million other distro's offer 1 cd install options. But that's for LM HQ to decide. So could, even though this old dinosaur doesn't support boot from usb. Don't feel like checking for bio's updates to flash. Other stuff ... could've found a work around no doubt. Even made a trip to wally world and bought friggin dvd R's that dinna work with my drive. So trip to wally world, trip to take nonworking dvd's back. Dinna leave me a happy camper even though it's my own fault. Sure I could've done a ton of stuff to install it but at that pt. Didn't want to anymore. When 4 million other distro's offer 1 cd install options. :D

Which I like Mint and am sure lmde is good nix. But judging from all the breakage people report in the forums with it. Darn sure didn't feel like jumping through hoops to test drive Mint Debian when it's apparently got a few rough edges and ... errrr, 4 million other distro's offer 1 cd installs.

For the record, crunchbang can be turned into rolling if someone feels like fiddling with it. I don't ... doesn't get more stable than Debian stable. Don't really feel a need to have the latest n greatest ( sometimes break stuff ) software and if I did would add a ppa, temporarily change repos or whatever else. I like good ole stable though. So am fine just leaving it alone.

Also for the record in #! defense. They have xfce, openbox or both openbox and xfce, can install both during the install. Given the choice between using anything buntu and CB. Well personally wouldn't even consider buntu. Then again ... way I feel about ubuntu in general. Would rather be poked in da eye with a stick than use their gnu/nix. :D Ever noticed how so many distro's shift away from ubuntu ? CB ... Debian ... LM ... putting out Debian based now too. Thinking there has to be reasons for why they end up nixing ubuntu along the way.

I'm sure the Magic Mint factory has their reasons though. Am ok with whatever they decide to do. They do all the work so I should zip it anyway.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

This problem frustrated me also. But, I managed to just do a debian net install; switched my software sources, and installed mint programs.

Not perfect, but at least it looks like mint. There's still a few things under the hood that I have to iron out.

It was a pain in the butt. Please, Mint devs, make a CD .iso for Xfce!!
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce on CD; try Unetbootin

Post by tlcmd »

I have 2 computers with the same problem. Both are older and have neither a dvd tray or a BIOS that can be set to boot from USB.
My solution was to download Unetbootin. I downloaded the Xfce iso and then copied it to a "stick" and used Unetbootin to install it.
robfinley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robfinley »

I also need a CD sized image. I really want a rolling distribution but have old hardware. No DVD drive no BIOS network boot. A CD sized image would bring me back to Linux Mint, the distro I learned with :)
thatsallurspaceships
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatsallurspaceships »

So will USB pendrive Boot/install with every system? If not in my opinion there should be CD version.
THATS ALL YOUR SPACESHIPS?
robfinley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robfinley »

thatsallurspaceships wrote:So will USB pendrive Boot/install with every system?
My computer is an older Dell. It is pre-USB 2.0 and it will not boot from a USB device :(

Return to “Xfce”