Page 1 of 1

Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 pm
by JordanV0712
Hello,

I've been using Linux for about a year now and the only experience I have had is with the Gnome desktop environment. I have been reading up on the XFCE environment and how its faster than Gnome in many situations. I would have switched to XFCE earlier if it wasn't for me worrying about applications that I'm used to running smoothly. Such applications would be Dropbox, Skype, and Libre Office. Would I have problems with these applications switching over to XFCE? Also, is Linux Mint XFCE faster than Xubuntu? I heard that distros based off of Debian rolling are normally faster. Thanks!

- Jordan

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:10 am
by mastablasta
JordanV0712 wrote: Would I have problems with these applications switching over to XFCE?
no. also Gnome applications run just fine in XFCE.
Also, is Linux Mint XFCE faster than Xubuntu? I heard that distros based off of Debian rolling are normally faster. Thanks!
- Jordan
it needs less RAM and eats less ram compared to Xubuntu. since it needs less RAM , there is more ram free for other applications. because more RAM is free for other apps, computer uses disk less as swap. and consequently it all works a bit faster.

for stability you will need to lock it to stable.

also i am not sure what they are up to at Xubuntu but they just dropped support for my computer :-O Mint XFCE based on debian testing works OK though.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm
by phredbull
Mint XFCE is significantly faster than any Ubuntu Gnome or XFCE that I've used.
I started with Ubuntu Karmic, but added XFCE-desktop to try to squeeze more performance out of my laptop. It was marginally better. I find that Mint versions perform better than the Ubuntu that it is based off of.
Mint XFCE is the smoothest desktop experience I've had on my computer, aside from a *box WM.
While Gnome does offer some better GUI config tools, XFCE is quite full-featured and polished, nowadays.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:34 pm
by anzan
GNOME programs will work in Xfce. Both use Gtk, as does LXDE.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 pm
by phredbull
Isn't Linux just Linux, regardless of your DE/WM? I thought "Gnome apps" or "KDE apps" were meant to integrate better with their respective DEs, but would still run fully functional on any Linux system...

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 pm
by asymmetros
Mint Xfce is considered fast and lightweight -Debian as base is the key factor. Libre office runs flawlessly and i am using it alongside Gnumeric-Abiword. Even KDE applications (Amarok) running with no problem.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:18 pm
by hozomean
wrt phredbulls post... what you say is true to a point... however, different desktop environments typically use different graphical toolkits. KDE uses qt, while Gnome and XFCE use GTK. This means if you're using a GTK desktop environment like XFCE, most gnome apps will work out of the box with no extra libraries... however, SOME gnome apps will install gnome components (gnome-session, nautlius, etc). Likely this won't bother you, but its something to be aware of. If you want to use KDE programs, qt-libs (which are generally pretty small and unobtrusive) will be installed to make those apps run.

(calling something a "gnome" app or a "kde" app is at times, admittedly a misnomer... but there seems to be quite a bit of grey area with dependencies these days)

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:37 pm
by phredbull
@hozomean
Thanks for the info! I wouldn't want Nautilus being pulled in as a dependency on my XFCE setup!

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:45 pm
by hozomean
Yeah, its a good practice to keep an eye on what dependencies are being pulled in when you install something new.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 am
by phredbull
Heh heh, I tried installing AWN from the repos last night, and it tried to pull in a ton of Gnome desktop packages, including Nautilus! This seemed strange to me, but regardless, I cancelled the install.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 pm
by hozomean
Yeah, AWN will definitely not only bring nautlius in but run it in the background, unfortunately.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:57 pm
by phredbull
Is this because they designed it specifically as a Gnome-panel replacement? Would be nice if it were DE agnostic...

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:09 pm
by DrHu
phredbull wrote:Isn't Linux just Linux, regardless of your DE/WM? I thought "Gnome apps" or "KDE apps" were meant to integrate better with their respective DEs, but would still run fully functional on any Linux system...
Isn't Linux just Linux, regardless of your DE/WM..
Yes, however there are some specific desktop applications based on either kde style or gnome style.

I don't think that is absolutely true (not an 100% guarantee), because of the integration you suggest, using their own libraries, either Gnome or Kde
  • There is supposed to be compatibility between kde based applications and gnome based applications on the other desktop, but since each group is (while trying to maintain compatibilities with the other desktop, freedesktop.org) sometimes diverging enough that there are incompatibilities being introduced
Other than that, Linux is Linux (at least the Linux part: the kernel)
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 am
by Hezy
JordanV0712 wrote:Hello,

I've been using Linux for about a year now and the only experience I have had is with the Gnome desktop environment. I have been reading up on the XFCE environment and how its faster than Gnome in many situations. I would have switched to XFCE earlier if it wasn't for me worrying about applications that I'm used to running smoothly. Such applications would be Dropbox, Skype, and Libre Office. Would I have problems with these applications switching over to XFCE? Also, is Linux Mint XFCE faster than Xubuntu? I heard that distros based off of Debian rolling are normally faster. Thanks!

- Jordan
Since the original question mentioned Dropbox, someone should say that the standard install of Dropbox has a Nautilus dependency. It would be better to install merlwiz' package

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:57 pm
by syncdram
Mint, Debian,XFCE are ALL very much aware of the MASS EXODUS from shuttleworths unity debacle. This side of the fence is now preparing the way for the MASS migration that is taking place. I've switched and now reside here and have brought with me 14 new users after wiping clean there ubuntu. Mint now leads the pack regardless how they try to explain away distrowatch. You ALL need to be VERY proud of the people who are at the forefront of Mint. Walk with your heads held HIGH and NEVER NEVER forget were you came from as Ubuntu has... being led by the dictator shuttleworth.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 am
by mastablasta
DrHu wrote:
phredbull wrote:Isn't Linux just Linux, regardless of your DE/WM? I thought "Gnome apps" or "KDE apps" were meant to integrate better with their respective DEs, but would still run fully functional on any Linux system...
Isn't Linux just Linux, regardless of your DE/WM..
Yes, however there are some specific desktop applications based on either kde style or gnome style.

I don't think that is absolutely true (not an 100% guarantee), because of the integration you suggest, using their own libraries, either Gnome or Kde
  • There is supposed to be compatibility between kde based applications and gnome based applications on the other desktop, but since each group is (while trying to maintain compatibilities with the other desktop, freedesktop.org) sometimes diverging enough that there are incompatibilities being introduced
Other than that, Linux is Linux (at least the Linux part: the kernel)
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/

well you can run GNOME apps (GTK) on Windows. Also some KDE apps work there. See the KDE for win project for more.

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:23 pm
by hozomean
phredbull: spent the time to get awn working on xfce without most of the gnome dependencies today... its still got some kinks, but if you're interested: http://hozomean.blogspot.com/2011/08/in ... thout.html

Re: Gnome user switching to XFCE

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 pm
by linuxviolin
syncdram wrote:Mint, Debian,XFCE are ALL very much aware of the MASS EXODUS from shuttleworths unity debacle. This side of the fence is now preparing the way for the MASS migration that is taking place. I've switched and now reside here and have brought with me 14 new users after wiping clean there ubuntu. Mint now leads the pack regardless how they try to explain away distrowatch. You ALL need to be VERY proud of the people who are at the forefront of Mint. Walk with your heads held HIGH and NEVER NEVER forget were you came from as Ubuntu has... being led by the dictator shuttleworth.
syncdram, I like your post very much. Really. :D