[SOLVED]Gnome packages in MintXFCE?!?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Gnome packages in MintXFCE?!?

Post by phredbull »

Hi all,
After a bunch of updates, I noticed some weirdness, particularly, that my terminal is gnome-terminal, and when I open it, it starts out looking normal, but then the window shrinks itsself to a small size. But that's not my main concern. When I looked in Synaptic to uninstall it and replace it with xfce-terminal, I found a large number of Gnome packages, as seen here:
while many equivalent XFCE packages are not installed:
Is this how LinuxMint XFCE is set up, or are the Debian updates "Gnome-izing" my XFCE install?
Should I replace all possible Gnome packages with the XFCE equivalents for a more lightweight, "pure XFCE" experience, or would that be undoing the Mint-ification?
(I also found that it's not always easy to simply remove the unwanted packages, you have to pick through the web of dependencies.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Apple iMac, Core2Duo 2.0gHz, 3gb, ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 7688mb, ATI Radeon m7500
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
cpatrick08

Re: Gnome packages in MintXFCE?!?

Post by cpatrick08 »

phredbull wrote:Hi all,
After a bunch of updates, I noticed some weirdness, particularly, that my terminal is gnome-terminal, and when I open it, it starts out looking normal, but then the window shrinks itsself to a small size. But that's not my main concern. When I looked in Synaptic to uninstall it and replace it with xfce-terminal, I found a large number of Gnome packages, as seen here:
while many equivalent XFCE packages are not installed:
Is this how LinuxMint XFCE is set up, or are the Debian updates "Gnome-izing" my XFCE install?
Should I replace all possible Gnome packages with the XFCE equivalents for a more lightweight, "pure XFCE" experience, or would that be undoing the Mint-ification?
(I also found that it's not always easy to simply remove the unwanted packages, you have to pick through the web of dependencies.)
it wont undo the mint-ification if you replace gnome packages with xfce ones and yes he wanted it to be more like gnome
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725
the last part on the blog post states
Enjoy!

Mint Xfce isn’t “trying” to be lightweight anymore. It’s snappier and uses less resources, while becoming more mainstream and offering more popular applications. We hope you’ll enjoy this new release. Thank you for using Linux Mint.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

Thanks for the clarification, I'll keep on with the updates! (That gnome-terminal thing is really weird though , never seen any window do that...)
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

It's not just me!! :x

I recently installed XFCE as I like the look of it and am not convinced by the way that Ubuntu is going and its impact in Mint 'Main'. I have exactly the same issue with terminal windows - they seem to shrink towards the tops left until they are about 8-10 characters wide. It is easy enough to expand them manually afterwards, but this is really annoying and it mucks up the messages that i love seeing.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

phredbull wrote:After a bunch of updates, I noticed some weirdness, particularly, that my terminal is gnome-terminal, and when I open it, it starts out looking normal, but then the window shrinks itsself to a small size.
The issue with gnome-terminal shrinking is caused by the recent upgrade to the terminal from the 2.x branch to the 3.x branch. However since the themes included in Mint are still based on GTK2, the terminal window doesn't know how to properly size itself when it starts up. If you are opening the terminal from a launcher on the xfce-panel, you can give it command line arguments to tell it what size to open as, but I don't know how to do this off the top of my head (although I'm sure Google could help you).

The alternative is to replace gnome-terminal with xfce-terminal, which is what I have done. If I remember correctly, it wanted to replace a gnome meta package (gnome-core maybe), but you should be able to safely do that without harming your system.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

@Simon: Lol, when I saw your reply, I also thought, "It's not just me!"

@Gavin: Thank you for clearing this up, it's unsettling seeing the OS act weird and not knowing why! I'm going to switch to xfce-terminal now...
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler

Return to “Xfce”