Best general cleanup programs for XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Best general cleanup programs for XFCE

Post by tlcmd »

FXCE seems to be a different kettle of fish regarding certain Linux distros. Would y'all please toss out the names for some of the better cleanup programs for XFCE?
Thanks.
Dick
jose_r
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Best general cleanup programs for XFCE

Post by jose_r »

Hi,
first of all you seem a bit confused about what is a Linux Distro. XFCE is a Desktop environment, not a Distro.
See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=54945 for a great discussion on the topic :)

Bleachbit is the program you are looking for.
It does a whole system cleanup of your system and it is very easy to use.
tlcmd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tlcmd »

Thank you for the informative link as well as the advice about Bleachbit. I did install and run bleachbit and now my XFCE will not go back on line. I am sending this note through the Windows XP partition on the same computer with the same wireless G adapter. Help again, please. I'm running this dual boot system on an older computer so if I need to re-install anything, I can do it, even though the re-installs can be a pain. I'd like to have some working knowledge here before I switch over from Windows XP SP3 to Linux Mint Debian fxce. Please put up with my inane questions, etc.
Dick
jose_r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jose_r »

Hi again Dick
That never happened to me. I do not know what bleachbit could do to break your system.
Are you sure that you didn't uptade your system in the meanwhile?
The Mint team recently change the Mint XFCE base from Ubuntu to Debian, and that could mean some stability problems for now.

Try ask for help with another post. Mention bleachbit and the updates (if you have done it).
I'm sorry I can't help you much more.
jose
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian »

After you have updated your install and added the apps you want you might find "aptoncd" a big help, worth a look at as it saves downloading all the updates/apps again.
The other thing you might find worth while is to make an image backup of your OS's using Clonezilla or if you find that one a bit heavy a windows program I used a lot was Macrium free edition, just don't let it restore the MBR although it will restore a standard XP MBR if you go back to XP

Return to “Xfce”