Memory monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davec
Level 1
Level 1

Memory monitor

Post by davec »

Hello to all, I've just joined the forum after installing and being impressed with mint daryna Xfce.
I have a system that I need to monitor the memory usage carefully and I like the system monitor applet that youcan add to the toolbar that monitors the CPU and Memory. In other distributions and even Mint 4 Darnya the memory monitor works fine but in the Xfce version it seems to only monitor the memory used by user processes and not all memory being used as discovered with the command free -m. Is there a file I could edit to make it monitor all the memory being used or is this a bug that will be fixed in future updates.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Memory monitor

Post by Husse »

I don't want to offend you, but do you interpret the output of free the right way?
I've seen several reports in the forum where it has been misunderstood.
I don't think a different DE would influence the behavior of the System monitor - but I'm not sure ...
davec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davec »

I'd like to clarify my previous post. When I hold the mouse over the memory applet on the taskbar the
memory reported is about one third of menory being reported as being used on the command line in a terminal window using the unix command free. It reports correctly with Cassandra but not
in Daryna 4.0 using Xfce as the windows manager. I would assume the unix command is the more accurate.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tend to agree with Husse, the "System Monitor" should be accurate regardless of the desktop environment. If memory use is a concern, you might want to turn off services that you do not need or use. I have no bluetooth devices for example, so I turn off that service to save resources.

I would be more than happy to help you free up some resources and tweak things out if you need help.

Return to “Xfce”