Power Manager/Turning off screen

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
grache28
Level 1
Level 1

Power Manager/Turning off screen

Post by grache28 »

When I goto Menu>Settings>Power Manager, Monitor Tab the default setting has the screen to turn off after 15 minutes of being inactive, which is exactly what I want. Problem is the screensaver (xscreensaver) never stops, the display never turns off.

Any ideas?
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Power Manager/Turning off screen

Post by Kilz »

Do you want the screensaver on? If you dont want it on have you tried to disable it?
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
grache28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grache28 »

Here's what I ideally want. The screen to turn off and when I come back to prompt for pw, I don't see how to do that without xscreensaver. So I changed turn off screen from 10min to 5min and it started working. I left xscreensaver to turn on at 10 minutes, thinking it would run in the background, but it turns the screen back on to show the screensaver... So that must be the reason that the screen never turned off when they were by default both set to 10 minutes.

Earlier today I left it for a solid half hour and it didn't turn off. I had 5min to turn off screen, no screensaver (I checked those settings, and I could see the screen the whole time)

I just came back after a few hours and the computer should have been asleep (I set sleep after 1hr) instead the screen was turned on blank (or I mean black), and didn't respond to anything, I had to press the button to reboot. What's going on here??

I'll be testing a few other settings to see what happens, but from first glance, something looks broken, this is a fresh install from ISO, updated everything and installed only 1 package (vim).

Any tips welcome
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz »

What version of mint are you using?
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
grache28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grache28 »

LMDE XFCE 64bit DVD

I haven't had time to test like I wanted to, hopefully I'll be able to this weekend. Right now I'm just using sleep display at 5min turn off at 6, no screensaver, no put computer asleep. Ideally I'd like to have a prompt for password after the display sleeps, and have the computer sleeping after an hour or so.
varonbondumb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by varonbondumb »

same problem here with lmde xfce 32 bit

Return to “Xfce”