GnoMenu for XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

GnoMenu for XFCE

Post by GeneC »

I really like XFCE, but miss a good menu, and we might not get MintMenu back with the recent updates.

I found the GnoMenu. Its a Gnome app, but can be easily used with XFCE, and put on the panel using "xfapplet"
Its customizable with different themes, there are several included, plus more downloadable.

This is mine.
(The 'Lock', "Logout', and 'Shutdown' functions do not work from the menu, it is a Gnome app :? but there are other applets for that.)

You don't have to compile. I have a deb that I uploaded.
Its 3.46 mb, and is stand alone (has no other dependencies).

Just click the link below to download.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ky6281jmcjkrcmj

squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: GnoMenu for XFCE

Post by squeezy »

Yeah, I was playing around with this after seeing it in SolusOS. Xfce would be perfect for me if it had a snazzy menu (I know, that's pretty shallow).

I tried it on a Xfce install but I couldn't access any of the apps I had installed. The Applications tab on the menu only listed a few links to stuff like System Settings and other top level menu entries, but they wouldn't launch for me. I'll try your .deb file, Gene. I used the one from an Ubuntu PPA repo so maybe that was tweaked specially and didn't work on my Debian based Xfce setup.

Worked like a charm on my LMDE-Squeeze setup :D

It's a way cool menu though!

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

squeezy wrote:.........................
I tried it on a Xfce install but I couldn't access any of the apps I had installed. The Applications tab on the menu only listed a few links to stuff like System Settings and other top level menu entries, but they wouldn't launch for me. I'll try your .deb file, Gene. I used the one from an Ubuntu PPA repo so maybe that was tweaked specially and didn't work on my Debian based Xfce setup.
....................!
Hmm!
That one was from the Ubuntu PPA, works great for me.
I uploaded the one from SolusOS also, you may want to try that one. Both work for me on LMDE/Testing or LMDE/SID (or even on AWN dock with LMDE\Gnome 3.2 Shell) :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?99vkhte4vlxzmml
Last edited by GeneC on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chris M
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris M »

GeneC wrote:I uploaded the one from SolusOS also ...
Gene, I haven't installed SolusOS, so I can't see Ikey's repos. When I googled it, I ran across the github repositories: https://github.com/SolusOS/repositories

Is there another SolousOS repo besides the above and Debian Stable?

Thanks

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

Chris M wrote:
GeneC wrote:I uploaded the one from SolusOS also ...
Gene, I haven't installed SolusOS, so I can't see Ikey's repos. When I googled it, I ran across the github repositories: https://github.com/SolusOS/repositories

Is there another SolousOS repo besides the above and Debian Stable?

Thanks
Chris

As Ikey said. Not a good idea to use SolusOS repos on LMDE. LMDE is based on testing. SolusOS is 'based' on Stable, but with many custom upgrades by Ikey.
The file I uploaded is just a .deb. It has no dependencies. GnoMenu is a stand alone item. If you want to try it just download that deb and install with 'gdebi' (Usually just a double click on the .deb will run 'gedebi').

kijin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kijin »

It looks a bit like the Lancelot menu for KDE, although the layout is upside down.

Personally, I don't feel much need for a menu in Xfce. I can use a dock for launching most commonly used apps, and the Xfce menu should be familiar to anyone who has been using Gnome 2. (You can access the same menu by right clicking anywhere on the desktop.) But I'm always looking for new ways to organize the application menu, so more options are better!

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

kijin

Yes, that is the 'Lancelot' theme. There are several to choose from in the package, and more available for download, including different 'orbs' (icon on the panel)

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmo ... 189&page=0

including a "mint box' icon.

squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by squeezy »

No good on my straight Sid Xfce setup (not derived from LMDE at all). The menu wouldn't even launch. It gave an error dialog and wouldn't start.

I had to go back to the LMDE Latest repo to get xfapplet for the Xfce panel. Don't know if that's a problem? The xfapplet loaded into the panel OK and I was able to pick GnoMenu to put into it, but that's where it ended.

Completely different story on my LMDE-Squeeze box though. Runs like a champ. I used the Homer start button :lol:

Chris M
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris M »

Ikey and Gene, no problem. I wouldn't try to force-fit squeeze stuff into testing. More than anything, I was interested in Ikey's font rendering, and just taking a look at everything offered - like the way clem does it - listing packages.

Ikey, I'm looking forward to installing it on my sister-in-law's netbook. You've carved out a nice niche with this one.

Thanks gents.

Return to “Xfce”