This forum is FRIENDLY....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pat D

This forum is FRIENDLY....

Post by Pat D »

I have, like everyone, had to sign up for access to a lot of information, and sometimes it's been a waste of time. Sometimes it's obviously an info rip-off, sometimes it's just a flat out waste of time.
Some tech-help forums are OK, some are absolutely poisonous.

This place is downright convivial. I'd much rather spend my time here (and similar places) than on all those "social" sites. Thank you, everybody who comes here.

I get great entertainment, as I sit here with the moment's choice of drink and smoke. And I'm learning HUGELY.

When I win the lottery I'm going to open a "Linux Mint" pub down the street!!

:) :) :) :) :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: This forum is FRIENDLY....

Post by orschiro »

The Linux Mint headquarter pub in Ireland. :D
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Pat D wrote:This place is downright convivial. I'd much rather spend my time here (and similar places) than on all those "social" sites.
I spend several hours here every day. Yep, it's a pretty nice place to be.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Thaddeus-maximus

Post by Thaddeus-maximus »

agreed! i don't usually have technical questions as i consider myself a safe/sane computer user, lol but when i do have issues i come here. my new years resolution is to try to be more active on the forums either for laughs or helping others 8)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The world is divided by race, gender, politics, religion, geography, and idealism.
This forum is a refreshing retreat.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

As a relative newcomer (4 years) with Linux Mint I can only answer a small handful of user questions. However, I still like to visit here daily just to read the new posts.

Not only have I learned quite a bit I have also made many new friends.

The only thing that bothers me about this forum is any post by Wharf Rat. I keep squashing that little bug on the monitor and have to clean the screen almost daily! :-)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Jim Hauser wrote:The only thing that bothers me about this forum is any post by Wharf Rat. I keep squashing that little bug on the monitor and have to clean the screen almost daily! :-)
What bug? I always eradicate all annoying moving avatars / signatures by means of my ad blocker. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

You could always count the few heated disagreements that manage to slip out the moderators' sight... that is if you're fast enough to get involved in it.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

I like this forum.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Friendly indeed! It certainly adds to the appeal of Linux Mint & is effectively the opposite of a "cache-22" situation; active, friendly Forum + great OS & choice of Desktop Environments != some of the others I've encountered, which are probably destined to stay in the shadows just because of their relative obscurity, sadly (in some cases anyway) for their devs.

There are bad apples in every truckload but few & far between here. For those, there's *PLONK* :mrgreen:

It's also a good reason why I recommend Linux Mint to potential Windows refugees.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I like it, too. :) I remember trying out the Peppermint board a while back; I was not impressed. Even the moderators -- hell, even the developers were immature and rude; it actually was enough to put me off Peppermint completely; if I can't trust them to be adults on the board, how in God's name can I trust their distribution?! I mean, sure, every community has their bad apples, but by far this is my favorite board for Linux, with a very large pool of people with whom I can share my knowledge and chat about Linux and shell programming. :D
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I agree with you Pat D!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Just remember, in the Bearded Spock universe, everyone treats everyone else with exceptional meanness and cruelty on the LM Forum.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

I very much enjoy coming to this site and all the folks here. :wink:

Enjoy a few other sites but not very many of them are friendly to beginners.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I would have probably left Unbuntu for LM anyway but the Ubuntu forum had maddeningly inconsistent moderators , at least 5 or 6 years ago. They seemed to let flame wars, rudeness and insults go while and then nit picked the tiniest perceived infraction. Anyway I haven't been back in years - every issue large and small I have ever had from how to configure RAID 0 to how to remove previews from the panel I have had answered here - even when I have been a bit slow or dense the responses have always been friendly and helpful.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

majpooper wrote:I would have probably left Unbuntu for LM anyway but the Ubuntu forum had maddeningly inconsistent moderators , at least 5 or 6 years ago. They seemed to let flame wars, rudeness and insults go while and then nit picked the tiniest perceived infraction. Anyway I haven't been back in years - every issue large and small I have ever had from how to configure RAID 0 to how to remove previews from the panel I have had answered here - even when I have been a bit slow or dense the responses have always been friendly and helpful.
I gave up my membership there a few years back and a week later closed my account.

Don't need either to read the forums. :D
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

"orange" you glad you left?? :lol: :lol:
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

I'm glad that this site exists because Linux is a great alternative if you still want to use one of your old computers. Especially for my other Dell Inspiron desktop that I sadly took apart, since I thought it was busted in 2015. However, I did take it out for good measure. Along with using its RAM stick for my main Windows desktop, making it a total of 8GB of memory. The case would never be used again, since I cut out some of the cables and the power supply. However, if I had a new experimental computer, I would have used its old DVD burner drive and hard drive to power it up. Maybe I'll use it as a Linux desktop.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pat D wrote:"orange" you glad you left?? :lol: :lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pat D wrote:I have, like everyone, had to sign up for access to a lot of information, and sometimes it's been a waste of time. Sometimes it's obviously an info rip-off, sometimes it's just a flat out waste of time.
Some tech-help forums are OK, some are absolutely poisonous.

This place is downright convivial. I'd much rather spend my time here (and similar places) than on all those "social" sites. Thank you, everybody who comes here.

I get great entertainment, as I sit here with the moment's choice of drink and smoke. And I'm learning HUGELY.

:) :) :) :) :)
I try all the distributions. Well, the ones you don't have to think too hard about, anyway...(Slack...)

I tried Mint when it first came out, and while I liked it, I had a few issues with old hardware that SuSE handled just fine. Then I got into Arch. I really like Arch. But the third time my manager called after that 5th update borked my computer he said, "Either get something that WORKS or go back to Windows!" That's when I came back to Mint.

The Arch people can be downright vitriolic, especially when you don't do something "the Arch way". :roll:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Open Chat”