[SOLVED] MS Office 2010 activation?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kimmolinux

[SOLVED] MS Office 2010 activation?

Post by kimmolinux »

Hi!

Does anyone know how to activate MS Office 2010?

Br.
Kimmo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: MS Office 2010 activation?

Post by AndyMH »

If you don't have the product key/activation code you are stuffed! MS stopped telephone activation some time ago. Ran into the same problem with office 2013 running under win7 in a VM, resized the virtual disk, office thought it was a new installation and refused to activate (too many installs). Fortunately I was able to get office 2106 via work under the home user programme for £8.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kimmolinux

Post by kimmolinux »

Hi!

I have the product key/activation code (real one), but I get stuck in here:

"I want to activate the software over Internet."
Then comes this:
"A communication error has occured. Please verify that you have connectivity to the internet and try again. (0x80072F0D)"

Any idea how to solve that problem?

Br.
Kimmo
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It would probably be helpful if you would give us a little more information. For example, what operating system are you trying to run MS Office in? Windows on bare metal? Some version of Linux using Wine? Windows running in VirtualBox?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kimmolinux

Post by kimmolinux »

Hi!

Ok, sorry :)! I have Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit and I have installed MS Office 2010 via PlayOnLinux (GFE for Wine). Then I try start for example MS Word 2010 --> then the program asks me to activate MS Office 2010 and then I get the error message. Is this enough info or do you need more?

Thanks & Br.
Kimmo
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I haven't used Wine in a while, and never for MS Office. But I did a little googling. That error message is common, even if you are using Windows and not Wine. A number of sources say to install winbind and wine-mono. This page doesn't mention the problem you are having, but it does have what the author says is a verified install method. It suggests installing some DLLs with winetricks:

http://blog.z-proj.com/microsoft-office ... -wine-1-6/

There is a script for installing with POL here:

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-801- ... _2010.html

This method worked for somebody that had the communications error like you had:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/980370/ ... redirect=1

I found this on a Microsoft support forum for a Windows user who got that connection error (but not sure how that would translate to Wine):
Ensure that the date, time and time zone is correct.

Follow the steps below to verify:

Click on time on bottom right corner.
Click Change date and time settings.
Select Change Time Zone and verify.
Activate Office and check for results.

If the issue still persists, then restart computer in Windows clean boot following the steps from the KB below to install Office 2010:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure you restart the computer in normal mode after troubleshooting.
I hope something in there will help you. Or hopefully another forums member will have advice for you.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Ahhhh... maybe a problem with the installation not activation. When I first started with Mint, it was 17.3 and installing word/excel 2007 was a breeze. Then I upgraded to 18 and completely rebuilt the laptop (well it was a different laptop). I had no end of trouble trying to install word and excel. The following are the notes I wrote at the time (in case I have to do it again). They may be relevant if your 2010 copy of office is a 32 bit version and you are installing on a 64 bit machine.

Office 2007 Setup
12. Install wine from software manager. If Office 2007 is installed with either winetricks or playonlinux or directly from wine it will not work. This is because wine gets something wrong with office (32 bit app) in a 64 bit mint installation. Instead from a terminal enter:

Code: Select all

WINARCH=win32 WINPREFIX=~/.win32 winecfg
This creates a hidden folder win32 (prefix) in /home/andy. It also couldn’t find wine mono or gecko and installed these automatically. Funny, checking in the software manager after the event wine mono and gecko are showing not installed (maybe this is a 32bit to 64bit issue?).

Output from the above generated a number of errors as below, but didn’t affect the final outcome:

andy@T430 ~ $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.win32 winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/andy/.win32'
fixme:urlmon:DownloadBSC_OnProgress Unsupported status 3
fixme:wininet:InternetLockRequestFile STUB
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:urlmon:DownloadBSC_OnProgress Unsupported status 3
fixme:wininet:InternetLockRequestFile STUB
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth>= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x11fe8a0, overlapped 0x11fe8ac): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/andy/.win32' has been updated.
Note – winbind was not installed, don’t know if its installation would have made any difference. Installed after the event just in case.
WINBIND – Samba is an implementation of the SMB/CIFS protocol for Unix systems, providing support for cross-platform file sharing with Microsoft Windows, OS X, and other Unix systems. Samba can also function as a domain controller or member server in both NT4-style and Active Directory domains.
This package provides winbindd, a daemon which integrates authentication and directory service (user/group lookup) mechanisms from a Windows domain on a Linux system.
Winbind based user/group lookups via /etc/nsswitch.conf can be enabled via the libnss-winbind package. Winbind based Windows domain authentication can be enabled via the libpam-winbind package.
13. To install office, in a terminal:

WINEPREFIX=~/.win32 wine control
This will bring up a window:

Use Add/Remove Programs to get at the setup.exe for office 2007.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kimmolinux

Post by kimmolinux »

Hi!

A lot of thanks to Everybody who has helped me! This worked for me :):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/980370/ ... redirect=1

Br.
Kimmo

Return to “Open Chat”