Google to charge Europe

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Google to charge Europe

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Of course, the 800 pound gorilla in the room is that most versions of Linux come with bundled apps, and if you try to uninstall some of them, you wind up also uninstalling large chunks of the desktop you're using...

mint@home ~$ anyone?
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The problem with Android app bundling is that the consumer doesn't get a say or choice in what web services they get tied to, namely Google's. And the phone manufacturer also gets their hands tied as to what they can remove or replace.

That doesn't compare with Linux distros. Yes, sure, there are parts of the operating system you can't uninstall because of how your distro developers put it together. However, no distro developer gets told they can't make different choices. You don't get locked into some megacorp's for-profit web services.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm Uh....anyone have a good flip-phone for sale?
Does it have to be a flip phone? There are plenty of non-smart candybar phones to be had for a song. If all you want is phone calls and text messages, it's a buyer's market.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:55 pm The problem with Android app bundling is that the consumer doesn't get a say or choice in what web services they get tied to, namely Google's. And the phone manufacturer also gets their hands tied as to what they can remove or replace.

That doesn't compare with Linux distros. Yes, sure, there are parts of the operating system you can't uninstall because of how your distro developers put it together. However, no distro developer gets told they can't make different choices. You don't get locked into some megacorp's for-profit web services.
True.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moem wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm Uh....anyone have a good flip-phone for sale?
Does it have to be a flip phone? There are plenty of non-smart candybar phones to be had for a song. If all you want is phone calls and text messages, it's a buyer's market.
I have a couple, and a couple that look like Blackberrys and some are even pretty good. One of them has excellent reception, but the sound isn't real good. The other has excellent sound, but the reception isn't very good.

One surprising one was a Nokia E63. Has everything I want. Can't get a signal if I'm standing next to the tower. It's a shame, because other than that, I like everything about it. :(

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 am
I have a couple, and a couple that look like Blackberrys and some are even pretty good. One of them has excellent reception, but the sound isn't real good. The other has excellent sound, but the reception isn't very good.

One surprising one was a Nokia E63. Has everything I want. Can't get a signal if I'm standing next to the tower. It's a shame, because other than that, I like everything about it. :(
your service provider needs to pay rent on that tower... not all are connected.

Here (Baja, Mexico), we have several cell providers. A couple provide real good coverage (Telcel is best)
I use a prepaid "plan" and seldom spend more than $25 USD per month.

I have little use for a portable telephone. The one at home serves well enough, I don't need a leash.
Being constantly tracked by the big businesses and a myriad of government agencies really sucks.

be careful what you do and say, always. Someone Is Recording Everything, and they WILL hold it against you in a court of law.
Gitmo has room for many more

*** does anybody remember when we were so so careful to not say things on the phone, and went to a phone booth in another neighborhood or city to make some calls?
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 am

your service provider needs to pay rent on that tower... not all are connected.

Here (Baja, Mexico), we have several cell providers. A couple provide real good coverage (Telcel is best)
I use a prepaid "plan" and seldom spend more than $25 USD per month.

I have little use for a portable telephone. The one at home serves well enough, I don't need a leash.
Being constantly tracked by the big businesses and a myriad of government agencies really sucks.

be careful what you do and say, always. Someone Is Recording Everything, and they WILL hold it against you in a court of law.
Gitmo has room for many more

*** does anybody remember when we were so so careful to not say things on the phone, and went to a phone booth in another neighborhood or city to make some calls?
I rarely take my phone with me anymore. When I needed it for my job I always had it...had to. Now...meh. But I just don't want a Google phone.

Telcel...is that one of Carlos Sims' companies? He has Tracfone and Page Plus in the US.

michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Arch_Enemy wrote:But I just don't want a Google phone.
OTOH, about 80% of the world use Android phones and about 90% of the world use desktop Windows OS. That's the real world.

Let's be honest, non-Google Android phones have been and will likely be a flop in the EU = most EU-ean users don't want non-Google Android phones.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10 ... one-in-eu/ - Google to charge Android OEMs as much as $40 per phone in EU. 10/20/2018
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

"charge Android OEMs" translation: consumers will pay every penny, and probably a little bit more.

darn we love that "protection"
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

Just a side note here, the UK will neither be part of the EU, or the EEA or EFTA after Brexit.
In theory, this ruling won't apply ;-)

As for all the talk about EU <> MS and now Google then I have this to say..

Since when has anything that the EU has done in the name of consumer / competition protection
turned into something that is tangible to the end user ?

I have never seen anything financially worthwhile trickle down to the end user, and never seen any product improvements come of it all.

Seems to me to be just a technical money making ploy to boost the EU coffers.

Just sayin'...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

And with that we've run afoul of the forum rules. Locked.

Return to “Open Chat”