If you want a divorce

Chat about just about anything else
User avatar
lsemmens
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1683
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

If you want a divorce

Post by lsemmens » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:43 pm

This could be worth watching. No talking, so you can watch without sound if necessary, Takes about 10 minutes. Food for thought.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8727
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA USA

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:39 am

Powerful.
Image

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

151tom
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by 151tom » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 pm

That's sad. :(

Hoser Rob
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4906
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 am

Thw wisest thing I've ever heard about divorce was actually quite simple. When people get married they have many notions of what marriage is. When they get divorced they learn very, very quickly what marriage really is. It's a contract.

User avatar
Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:05 pm
Location: York

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Poohstyx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 am

At the end of the day:

A marriage is a lifetime contract to support your chosen partner in everything that doesn't harm either of you, or your family unit.
Hardware:
Motherboard = Intel DH77EB
CPU = G2020 with stock cooler
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws
Boot drive = Crucial 240GB msata

User avatar
catweazel
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8218
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by catweazel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am

Poohstyx wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 am
A marriage is a lifetime contract to support your chosen partner in everything that doesn't harm either of you, or your family unit.
I disagree with that sentiment. A marriage might be a contract in some cheap dictionary or in various courts of law, but first and foremost a marriage is an expression of more than mere agreement to a contract for those of us fortunate enough to be able to choose our partners; over time it is an expression of love and of a very deep and abiding friendship between two people that is not easily damaged. Just how deep and abiding it is will be shown in time should one party in fact harm the other in some way, and the other expresses unconditional love and unconditional forgiveness in response.

So, how many failed marriages have you had so far? :mrgreen:
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:05 pm
Location: York

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Poohstyx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 am

First one, 23 years and counting.
Hardware:
Motherboard = Intel DH77EB
CPU = G2020 with stock cooler
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws
Boot drive = Crucial 240GB msata

User avatar
Pepi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Pepi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 am

41 years 8)

User avatar
Moem
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8018
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Moem » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am
So, how many failed marriages have you had so far? :mrgreen:
Poohstyx wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 am
First one, 23 years and counting.
Pepi wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 am
41 years 8)
Y'all consider those failed marriages? Sorry to hear it. Maybe you should consider a divorce. :wink:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:05 pm
Location: York

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Poohstyx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am

All marriages fail eventually.
Hardware:
Motherboard = Intel DH77EB
CPU = G2020 with stock cooler
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws
Boot drive = Crucial 240GB msata

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by MurphCID » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:12 am

30 years next month.

rene
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by rene » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Quick then; you still have 20 days left to get the divorce...

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1683
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by lsemmens » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:33 pm

You guys all realise.....You get less time for murder.....just saying.





Seriously coming up on 40 years this year.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
GS3
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by GS3 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Talking about marriage my boss once said to me "with my marriage you could make a movie like Romeo and Juliet ... but with a sad ending". :)
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

Akkla
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Akkla » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:04 am

I do not think that every marriage must be preserved.

rene
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by rene » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 am

No marriage should be "preserved" by default; man is not a monogamous species of animal. Between four and seven or so years, the time offspring was historically/naturally expected to be able to survive without both parents constantly present, nature makes this well-known: look at divorce stats. Marriages should automatically disband every 7 or so years unless explicitly renewed, not conversely automatically renewed unless explicitly disbanded. This very unnatural aspect of human culture causes a lot of grief.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Portreve » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Marriage, in the sense of the relationship, is not some random, generic thing that any two people can enter together successfully.

Equally obviously, not every single person is fit to be in a relationship.

All marriages do not, in fact, eventually fail. The problem is too many people get into them for the wrong reason(s). One should ideally only be in a relationship because they genuinely want to be in a relationship, and be a party to all those things which go into a relationship.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

Presently rocking Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

rene
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by rene » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Portreve wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm
The problem is too many people get into them for the wrong reason(s). One should ideally only be in a relationship because they genuinely want to be in a relationship, and be a party to all those things which go into a relationship.
Oh please, ditch the Disney collection. People get into relationships for the exactly right and only relevant reason: to breed. They only stay in relationships for the wrong reasons(s), i.e., anything other.

User avatar
Moem
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8018
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by Moem » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm

rene wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:17 pm
People get into relationships for the exactly right and only relevant reason: to breed. They only stay in relationships for the wrong reasons(s), i.e., anything other.
What about those of us who aren't interested in breeding, but are interested in being in a relationship? Do we not exist? :shock:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

rene
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: If you want a divorce

Post by rene » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm
What about those of us who aren't interested in breeding, but are interested in being in a relationship? Do we not exist? :shock:
Basically, no. Mind you, not that I hold it against any one person not being (always) aware of such after all together some 4 billion years of evolutionary training of course...

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”