Monitor repair questions

Chat about just about anything else
Post Reply
User avatar
otacon14112
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Monitor repair questions

Post by otacon14112 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:17 pm

I got a relative's computer and monitor a few years ago. The monitor would actually be more useful to me since the computer is several years old, so I tried it out. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I just recently got around to looking at it. I found the service manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/26940 ... =33#manual

There are some things that are a little confusing, though:
  1. The service manual says what to do if the monitor doesn't have power, and if there's no picture and the LED is orange. Well, it's kind of neither. When a power cord is plugged into it, the LED flashes approx. once per second with a dim white light. So there's obviously some power to it, but I don't know if they are talking about the actual LCD display, or any part of the monitor as a whole in general.
  2. The component labels in the schematics don't match the labels on the circuit boards, and CN701 has 12 pins in the schematic, but there is no 12-pin connector on the circuit board. But after doing a little research and reasoning, I think I found the 2 transistors the flow chart talks about, and an 8-pin connector that I think is the functional equivalent of CN701 in the schematic.
With everything out in the open and connected, I noticed a clicking sound when the LED in the power button flashes. What do you guys think about the two issues above?

I'll look at the crystal it talks about when I get home later. Thanks!
Last edited by otacon14112 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otacon: You remember pre-ripped jeans? Manufacturers thought that just because people loved old, broken-in jeans, they would want to buy new jeans that looked old. So they purposefully...
Solid Snake: What do jeans have to do with nature and order?

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by RollyShed » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Just a quick reply before I head out to teach computing.
Fig 10 - do any of those black tube like things with metal tops have bulged tops?
If so they need changing. They are capacitors.

I haven't scrolled back on your link yet to see make and model - Arrh yes! Acer AL1916. And yes, I've fixed numerous monitors though none of those - yet.

151tom
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by 151tom » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:46 pm

FWIW.

I find decent monitors in thrift stores all of the time that are in excellent working condition that someone donated because they wanted a larger monitor or bought a new computer.

User avatar
otacon14112
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by otacon14112 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:09 pm

RollyShed wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm
Just a quick reply before I head out to teach computing.
Fig 10 - do any of those black tube like things with metal tops have bulged tops?
If so they need changing. They are capacitors.

I haven't scrolled back on your link yet to see make and model - Arrh yes! Acer AL1916. And yes, I've fixed numerous monitors though none of those - yet.
Yeah, most of them are bulging. I wrote down their values to see if I have any around the house. Would that cause the clicking that occurs simultaneously with the power button LED flashing? Do you think that could be the reason it's not working?
Otacon: You remember pre-ripped jeans? Manufacturers thought that just because people loved old, broken-in jeans, they would want to buy new jeans that looked old. So they purposefully...
Solid Snake: What do jeans have to do with nature and order?

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by RollyShed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am

Here is a good link showing what bad capacitors look like -
https://rollestonshed.wordpress.com/com ... -problems/

The black marks are just felt tip pen but it is also likely that a brown stain will appear on a faulty capacitor as it leaks as well as bulging.

The clicking, the power supply half going and failing to start - most likely.

The capacitor problem started with those made between the years ~2000 - 2005 and a Google search will give a fuller story. One version was the recipe was stolen but not the complete version so they didn't get it right. Partially folklore, partially right.

I've replaced hundreds over the last decades. Typical, a University Department with computers for teaching and 40-50 computers with their supplies, and the monitors too, means a steady run of fixing.

151tom
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by 151tom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Replacing capacitors isn't a hard thing to do although soldering skills and patience is a must.

Might be useful.
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by RollyShed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:11 pm

151tom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm
Replacing capacitors isn't a hard thing to do although soldering skills and patience is a must.
Getting the polarity right is also accentual. The original ones and the replacements should be well marked.

151tom
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by 151tom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm

RollyShed wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:11 pm
151tom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm
Replacing capacitors isn't a hard thing to do although soldering skills and patience is a must.
Getting the polarity right is also accentual. The original ones and the replacements should be well marked.
If you don't get the polarity right you will know quickly. :lol:

User avatar
otacon14112
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by otacon14112 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:05 am

Sorry for not replying sooner; a lot of stuff is happening in my life right now :| I haven't even gotten around to hooking the crystal up to my o'scope yet.
RollyShed wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am
Here is a good link showing what bad capacitors look like -
https://rollestonshed.wordpress.com/com ... -problems/

The black marks are just felt tip pen but it is also likely that a brown stain will appear on a faulty capacitor as it leaks as well as bulging.

The clicking, the power supply half going and failing to start - most likely.

The capacitor problem started with those made between the years ~2000 - 2005 and a Google search will give a fuller story. One version was the recipe was stolen but not the complete version so they didn't get it right. Partially folklore, partially right.

I've replaced hundreds over the last decades. Typical, a University Department with computers for teaching and 40-50 computers with their supplies, and the monitors too, means a steady run of fixing.
I get that bulging caps are bad and need replaced, but what do they cause, functionally? What symptoms are caused by them? I was thinking the power supply was faulty. Could you clarify the bolded part a little bit please? Thanks

And it sounds like you have plenty of fun! :lol:
Otacon: You remember pre-ripped jeans? Manufacturers thought that just because people loved old, broken-in jeans, they would want to buy new jeans that looked old. So they purposefully...
Solid Snake: What do jeans have to do with nature and order?

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2204
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 am

Capacitors simply are "resevoirs" for the storage of electrical power and allow it to be released through the circuitry in a controlled manner, not unlike a water storage resevoir...when they start bulging etc, they are "leaking" the stored power that the system relies on for a steady, regulated power source...that is about as simple as i can put it without being overly technical...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by RollyShed » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 am

Capacitors - voltage storage yes but....

The supply is AC (Alternating Current) from your power socket, 60 cycles (60 Hz) in USA, 50 cycles (50 Hz) in many other countries and it is rectified (using diode(s). That is, it is made into a DC (Direct Current) voltage = the ripple goes in one direction.

We want to store the peak voltage (or near it) and get rid of the ripple so that is fed, from the rectifier diode(s), into the capacitor. The output current from the capacitor to the rest of the circuitry is low enough (or should be) not to empty the capacitor between each positive ripple. Capacitors which have bulged tops have lost capacity and we now have ripple.

Note the capacitor and rectifier can be wired the other way round and can store a negative voltage.

So from this, the clicking can be caused by the voltage going positive and causing a start-up but not staying positive long enough to keep things going because the capacitor isn't keeping that voltage up between each positive ripple.
And it sounds like you have plenty of fun! :lol:
A lifetime of "fun". That was my job, electronics which eventually included computers. Someone once said, "DC to daylight?"
"No, it was DC all the way up to Xrays, you name it we did it."

As for computers, the worst thing was getting rid of punched cards for programming. What do you write your shopping list on now? OK use the back of an envelope. No, they are going to do away with postage (mail) too.

151tom
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by 151tom » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am

RollyShed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 am
As for computers, the worst thing was getting rid of punched cards for programming. What do you write your shopping list on now?
Use Quick Memo on your smartphone for your shopping list.

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: South Island, New Zealand

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by RollyShed » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 pm

151tom wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am
RollyShed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 am
As for computers, the worst thing was getting rid of punched cards for programming. What do you write your shopping list on now?
Use Quick Memo on your smartphone for your shopping list.
And "Ooopps", the battery has gone flat - again.....

151tom
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by 151tom » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 am

RollyShed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 pm
151tom wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am
RollyShed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 am
As for computers, the worst thing was getting rid of punched cards for programming. What do you write your shopping list on now?
Use Quick Memo on your smartphone for your shopping list.
And "Ooopps", the battery has gone flat - again.....
And whose fault is it that the battery went flat again.

Pay attention and that won't happen.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2129
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by Portreve » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:54 am

My dad would have enjoyed this discussion. He ate, drank, and lived electronics at the component level. He worked for NASA at what is now the John Glenn Research Center in Brookpark, Ohio (it adjoins Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and shares some of their field and runways) as an electronics technician, and did a lot of troubleshooting work as well as original builds. He used to win awards for his soldering prowess.

Sadly, when it comes to that particular area of interest and skill, I inherited none of it.

When he died in 2008, I had a ton of capacitors, resistors, nor gates, switches, transistors and God knows what all else to get rid of. I tried to sell it but nobody was interested. I wanted to donate it but nobody would take it.
Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5600
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Monitor repair questions

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 am

otacon14112 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:05 am
...I get that bulging caps are bad and need replaced, but what do they cause, functionally? What symptoms are caused by them?...
Thre's no one answer for this, you can't say without knowing what part of the circuit they're in. Also, if there are that many faulty caps it's being caused by something else.

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”