Waterfox web browser sold to System1

Chat about just about anything else
karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Waterfox web browser sold to System1

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

As there are some forum users, who use the Waterfox web browser, because they consider it a better alternative to the Firefox web browser, these users may be interested in the fact that Waterfox has been sold to a company named "System 1". This company had acquired the search engine "Startpage" before as well.
For more details, please, see this article: Waterfox web browser sold to System1.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Waterfox web browser sold to System1

Post by cliffcoggin »

Damn. Waterfox was something I was going to test in a few months time, but now I'll blacklist it. Thanks Karlchen.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Waterfox was something I was going to test in a few months time, but now I'll blacklist it.
Have you considered trying Pale Moon?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I'll withhold judgement until I know more.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Moem wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 pm
I'll withhold judgement until I know more.
Actually, this is similar to what the author of the linked article said at the end of the article as well.

And maybe the Waterfox developer's words should be taken into consideration as well. Alex Kontos has published a blog post on the same topic only today, Friday 14-Feb-2020: Waterfox has joined System1
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

From the link about the sale on ghacks net - "System1 is an advertising company that tries to 'make advertising better and safer, while respecting consumer privacy'."

Isn't that a contradictory statement, dumping advertising on a viewer and consumer privacy?

Also does ublock origin work on Waterfire?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

UBlock Origin works fine on Waterfox, as do all Firefox add-ons, as far as I know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

There's an old saying that a man can not serve two masters that applies here. A privacy focussed browser is never going to be compatible with the aims of an advertising company.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Well said cliffcoggin.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Let's hear it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
https://www.waterfox.net/blog/waterfox- ... d-system1/

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

Thanks for your link Moem. I find Alex Kontos' explanations very understandable - especially his sleepless nights and that he was practically solely responsible for the entire project. I wish him not to be ripped off.
Waterfox stays with me - let's see...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

As this is the very first time I've heard the name "Waterfox" I have no particular dog in this fight, so to speak.

Back when I still was using Classic Mac OS, I bounced between Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator. When I switched to Mac OS X, I continued to use them, until NN kind of fell by the wayside. At some point, I found and started using Firefox, and if I recall correctly, that's the point at which I stopped using multiple browsers. At the time, I was working for Sony in their call center, and that meant at work I used Internet Explorer since that's the only web browser they had installed on their systems. However, I remained a loyal Firefox user pretty much up to the point when Mozilla seemed to stop caring about it and also that Google had released Chrome.

I'm back to using Firefox full-time on my computer because:

1. I've concerns about privacy (given what we know about Google, and not out of any paranoia); and

2. Firefox no longer sucks.

It's taken an insane amount of time for Mozilla to write Firefox for Android where it is not so jacked up as to be unusable, and it is now actually pretty decent. I still like Chrome better, but I use FF instead because of those same basic privacy concerns.

I've tried Brave and some others — even Opera — but I really just can't take a shine to any of them. In reading Alex's explanatory blog, I appreciate where he's coming from. I don't really believe it's about people who are paranoid about security; rather, I think the people who've been rude to him are like Internet trolls anywhere: emboldened by anonymity, they are the scum which rises to the surface of any public Internet discourse.

So, does anyone here use Waterfox? If so, what do you think of it?
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

I use Waterfox and GNU/IceCat on the Mac. IceCat is a bit old, but it's just the fastest browser I've ever installed on macOS ... The developers of these two browsers always ponder and dig a little in Firefox - and occasionally throw something left out.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

I only use Firefox (most of the time), Chrome (some of the time) and Chromium (rarely). But I'm rather shocked after reading the statement by Alex Kontos: the insults, bullying and abuse he apparently has had to endure throughout the years are appalling. As "thanks" for giving the world his project, for God's sake.... :shock:

Yet somehow I'm not surprised. Things can get quite nasty on the internet from time to time, and in all countries of the world there are some highly vocal sh*ts around. They can occasionally even drown out the voice of the reasonable majority and do a lot of damage to reputations and motivations.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 am
It's my primary browser, so you can probably guess what I think of it.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:21 pm
Portreve wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 am
It's my primary browser, so you can probably guess what I think of it.
Obviously you must hate it. :lol:

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

A bit surprised I missed this thread. Had a text this morning about the sale, I was oblivious to it. Will have to see what happens as this is my browser of choice having migrated from Firefox as my main browser at the time they changed to Quantum.

I'm wondering if PaleMoon may be a suitable alternative .. will need to support my addons and customizations. Need to research this .. again .. :|
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

BG405 wrote:
I'm wondering if PaleMoon may be a suitable alternative .. will need to support my addons and customizations.
What are your add-ons and customizations?

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

Not that I'm going to be suspicious of Waterfox if you folks here are talking about and basically vouching for it, but it is strange that there's no direct way to install it, nor are there (as far as I can tell) any instructions on the Waterfox web site for how to install it. That, to me, is a complete show-stopper.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

That is certainly a weak point, I agree.
I'm using the popular Hawkeye PPA, I'm using the Classic version (which allows pretty much all old FF add-ons) and I followed the instructions here: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... lassic-kpe

Return to “Open chat”