Raspberry pi 4 and Linux Mint? (solved)

Chat about just about anything else
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Raspberry pi 4 and Linux Mint? (solved)

Post by farkas »

I'd like to know more about it from personal experience of any one. Has any one tried using LM on any version of raspberry pi?
What were your impressions and experiences with it?
Or from who ever would like to chime in. All opinions are welcome!

Read this recently about raspberry pi 4.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/27/the-r ... am-for-35/
Raspberry Pi 4 Tech Specs
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... fications/

I'm thinking of using it as backup box in case of a hardware crash or some other unforeseen event, just to get on line for recovery options.
Actually, I'll be honest, it will be a toy play around with. Plugging in an USB 3.0 250GB SSD for storage.

Googled about linux compatibility and it appears that it will run a linux OS. LM 19.x and LMDE 4 specs are compatible with the hardware specs.
My concern is, will LM run on the Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC processor?

Depending on what one considers reasonable. I can get an ALMOST complete replacement for a desktop. Just for a little over $100 USD.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1HD-005N-00088 ... -_-Product

Thanks!
Last edited by farkas on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Raspberry pi 4 and Linux Mint?

Post by xenopeek »

farkas wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:47 am
LM 19.x and LMDE 4 specs are compatible with the hardware specs.
My concern is, will LM run on the Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC processor?
Indeed it won't run Linux Mint as it doesn't have a x86 or x86-64 processor but an ARM processor. Linux Mint doesn't have an ARM edition.

You can likely get all of Linux Mint's software working on the Raspberry Pi 4 but will mean compiling them from source.
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Raspberry pi 4 and Linux Mint?

Post by farkas »

Thank you for your reply xenopeek!
xenopeek wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:24 am
Indeed it won't run Linux Mint as it doesn't have a x86 or x86-64 processor but an ARM processor. Linux Mint doesn't have an ARM edition.

You can likely get all of Linux Mint's software working on the Raspberry Pi 4 but will mean compiling them from source.
I don't have the know-how of how to compile anything from source.
I'll put this project in the back of the back burner. Maybe, if and when, LM has a ARM edition, I'll consider it again.

Once again thanks for your reply!
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Raspberry pi 4 and Linux Mint? (solved)

Post by murray »

Most people with Raspberry Pi's use Raspbian as their OS (a Debian-based Linux), but there are many others you can use. Raspbian is especially designed to be light-weight so it runs well on Pi's.

This article outlines some of the better options.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
1337ingDisorder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 1337ingDisorder »

Might be worth adding that you can run both MATE and Cinnamon on top of Raspbian, so you can have a user experience that's almost exactly the same as with Mint.

Raspbian and Linux Mint are both derivatives of Debian, so they work very similarly. A lot of the software available on Linux Mint is also available in Raspbian.

MATE and Cinnamon are the two desktop environments you can choose from when installing Linux Mint.

So if you want to run Mint on an rPi you might find the experience you're looking for by installing Raspbian on an rPi and then switching from the default desktop environment to MATE (or Cinnamon if you prefer that).
loganj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loganj »

here a way to add cinnamon (or other DE)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYyVMgBacEc
of course that's just the minimum cinnamon DE. i hope there are also the rest of app/fonts/etc on their repo.
i'm looking to buy a pi4 but for now i'm looking for limitations that it has
i mostly hate forums
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Cinnamon on Pi. The GPU on a Pi is minimal which means you have to switch off every effect. I do not recommend it. Raspbian runs everything you need as it has the same Debian base as Mint/Ubuntu. Follow the examples in the Raspbian forums and the Raspbian magazines.

The newer Pi chips are 64 bit but not much improved in the graphics area. Their LXDE based Raspbian is still the best choice. I found very little difference between LXDE and Cinnamon for regular software installations. The only difference is when you have to manually add an application to a menu or do something like remove those distracting backgrounds. After the first hour, everything in the GUI is cleaned out and you get on with using the applications instead of fiddling with the GUI.
Plons
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Plons »

Todays edition of Explainingcomputers on YT tests 6 different linux distro's on the RaspPi4
Enjoy
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)

Return to “Open chat”