Grouped Window list thumbnail order rearranging problem.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Horus001
Level 1
Level 1

Grouped Window list thumbnail order rearranging problem.

Post by Horus001 »

Good Day to you all,

Small intro: This is the first time I have bothered to even write a post as I can usually google something and find someone posting here about said problem, but my usual searching around has yielded no results and this problem is rather frustrating for me. You’re all great at archiving old issues and providing work around, I just never had to post anything I could just lurk and find the answer I needed, but not this time.

Problem and my set up: I use 2 monitors and often work while using both sometimes just to compare two documents or drag and drop from one folder to the other for organizational purpose. I will however have sometimes more than 3 documents open and am working in all three cross referencing and so forth.
The Grouped Window List is a great applet and I adore it but for some reason and this is present in both 20 and 20.1 the order of the thumbnails will shift and randomize for really no reason I can discern. I have experimented and find the same issue its quite frustrating, regardless of what I do. It could easily be a case of me being still fairly new to Linux in general but I have been fiddling with Linux as my primary OS for almost 2 years now.

I have a specific order I work in and I would greatly prefer for it to not change at all I open the documents in the order I’m using them and its very annoying when they shift. This is also for any other window and its very annoying and difficult to focus so much so I’m writing here about it.

So is this a bug? Is this a fault of my hardware? I’m open to any and all advice, thank you all for your time it is greatly appreciated.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Grouped Window list thumbnail order rearranging problem.

Post by MrEen »

Hi Horus001, and welcome to the forum.

I don't use Cinnamon so can't answer your question, but I wonder if the last active window has any bearing on this behavior. i.e. As you switch from one window to another, the ordering is changed reflecting that in some way.

Hopefully someone will have ideas on this, and with luck even a solution.
Horus001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Horus001 »

Hi MrEen, thanks for the reply and welcome.

I have tried tweaking and experimenting with the settings. Particularly the Grouped window list settings thumbnails>Sort thumbnails of the last focused window. If I toggle it on the thumbnails will shift but I don’t want them to shift at all ever because that’s frustrating to me, the order is important to me to remain static.

The other issue is you can’t even drag and drop them into an order you would want when it decides to reverse itself or completely randomize.

I honestly believe this to be a bug or something unintended by the development team while I could be wrong it seems like strange behavior coming about for no real reason that I can see as its not part of the settings to just randomly decide to change. I can’t even think of anyone wanting that to occur.

Either way thank you for your time and I truly hope someone can give me answers or a update patch or something to fix this soon.
Horus001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Horus001 »

MrEen wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:58 pm
Hopefully someone will have ideas on this, and with luck even a solution.
Is there typically a general time frame that someone would have an answer? Or perhaps a recommendation on where I could find an answer?
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

I'll move the thread up to the Newbies section where it'll probably get better visibility.

Return to “Newbie Questions”