Chat about just about anything else
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Post by dorsetUK »

Pjotr wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 pm
Yeah, well, those who experienced those serious side effects were mostly young women....
Thanks Pjotr, I didn't know that, so that makes sense.

Some Countries differ in the advice they're giving and that's something we have to live with.

Three days on from my second jab - no reaction.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pjotr wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 pm
dorsetUK wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Although why some feel that it's wrong for we 'elderly' and some feel it's wrong for those 'youngsters' is beyond me.
Yeah, well, those who experienced those serious side effects were mostly young women.... Somehow the risk seems to be greater for them...
Interestingly, women face far higher risks from birth control pills and ERT (Estrogen Replacement Therapy).
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm
Interestingly, women face far higher risks from birth control pills and ERT (Estrogen Replacement Therapy).
Cheers Lady Fitzgerald. I did know that, as we're - all genders - more likely to die getting out of bed or from a lightning strike, than we are to die from any of the vaccines.
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I was at the Doctor's and an Imaging Center yesterday for confirmation of yet more blood clots, and the first question was, "Did you receive either a J & J or Astra Zeneca vaccine"???...Nope, mine was 2 jab Pfizer completed a couple of months ago with no ill effects.

I proceeded to tell the Doc that if he could at least read my file a little more often when i come in to see him, it would refresh his memory that i have a history of blood clots going back to 1986.

Tunnel vision seems to be resulting from just a very few jabs that involve blood clots as a possible side effect of the jabs causing undo panic and alarm all around...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobb24 »

Canada has very recently lost 2 people from this.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7835645/new- ... eca-may-5/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6014284
https://www.cp24.com/news/family-lookin ... -1.5417588
Another in hospital https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6016511
And Health Canada just approved Pfizer for 12 and up . All these are only approved under emergency use authorization, meaning that standard criteria and timeline for trials have NOT been completed.
https://www.cp24.com/news/health-canada ... -1.5414956
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Bobb24 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:56 am
Health Canada just approved Pfizer for 12 and up .
One can question the morality of that decision. Given the fact that children may get infected, but almost never become seriously ill.

In the article you cited it even says this:
Sharma said Pfizer intends to apply for approval in kids as young as five by September.
Good God. :shock:

Vaccination should only be applied on those who will experience a personal, individual risk benefit by doing so. Vaccinating kids who are in no way at any risk, is just crazy. And immoral.

The pharmaceutical companies who have given us these vaccines have done humanity a great favour, for which we owe them gratitude (and a good deal of money). But their greed should be curbed.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat May 08, 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1500
Level 16
Level 16
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I don't know how far it will go, but the USA President has ruled that the Patents for CV19 are null and void and will be made Open-Source, that any pharma can manufacture the vaccines w/o bending over and paying onerous fees for the patent.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 am
I don't know how far it will go, but the USA President has ruled that the Patents for CV19 are null and void and will be made Open-Source, that any pharma can manufacture the vaccines w/o bending over and paying onerous fees for the patent.
Seems rather short-sighted and counterproductive to me.... This kills the incentive for further R & D.

Will "Big Pharma" step up again in the next pandemic, or will it then deem it unprofitable to do so, because their patents will probably be nuked again?

The beast greed should be curbed and tamed, but not be outlawed. We should let the beast work for us, because it's a very powerful beast indeed. :wink:
SMG
Level 15
Level 15

Post by SMG »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:42 am
Seems rather short-sighted and counterproductive to me.... This kills the incentive for further R & D.
I think you may not be seeing this in the proper context. US tax dollars helped pay for that R&D (Operation Warp Speed). Then those companies were given contracts which guaranteed the US government would buy the product. Considering those companies used my tax dollars to create a product for which they do not pay back the government (they hardly pay anything in taxes), then I think they can help benefit humanity.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.1 Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Well, there's at least one leader of an important country who rejects the voiding of the patents for the reason that I mentioned:
https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics ... with-biden

I think she has a valid point.

Note that the BioNTech part of Pfizer/BioNTech resides in Germany (BioNTech designed the vaccine), and the J & J vaccine was designed (and is being produced) by Janssen in The Netherlands. So it's not just the USA that is concerned here.

In order to make the hens that lay the golden eggs continue with producing their marvels, we need to keep feeding them. No need to stuff them (for example by allowing children to be vaccinated), but enough to keep them healthy and thriving. :wink:
SMG
Level 15
Level 15

Post by SMG »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 am
In order to make the hens that lay the golden eggs continue with producing their marvels, we need to keep feeding them. No need to stuff them (for example by allowing children to be vaccinated), but enough to keep them healthy and thriving. :wink:
Those companies are making literally billions of dollars in profits. If they want to keep making profits, then it is in their best interest to make sure enough of the world's population survives through this pandemic.

Kids are spreading COVID-19 and dying of COVID-19, so I do not see vaccinating kids as a profit motive.

It's already expected boosters vaccines for adults will be needed in the future, so there will be plenty of profit to be made by these companies. They will not starve.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

That's too easy. I'm definitely no fan of Germany's chancellor Angela Merkel, but in this matter I fully agree with her.

Of course the basic idea is that all knowledge belongs to the world. Freely. But it was found that the constraining effect of intellectual property stimulates the advancement of knowledge more.

Within reason, time-limited, and only insofar it actually does help more than it hampers the advancement of knowledge. Because the basic idea is, and always should remain, freely accessible knowledge.

The heart of the matter is: we need Big Pharma to be willing and eager to jump in at the next pandemic as well. That's in everybody's interest. Because the billions we spend on vaccines, are peanuts compared to the loss of the trillions we suffer in economic damage because of the pandemic.

Let's help poor countries by sponsoring their vaccines. Excellent; foreign aid well spent. I'm sure we'll find Big Pharma willing to reduce prices for those countries.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 7
Level 7

Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:24 am
Bobb24 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:56 am
Health Canada just approved Pfizer for 12 and up .
One can question the morality of that decision. Given the fact that children may get infected, but almost never become seriously ill.

In the article you cited it even says this:
Sharma said Pfizer intends to apply for approval in kids as young as five by September.
Good God. :shock:

Vaccination should only be applied on those who will experience a personal, individual risk benefit by doing so. Vaccinating kids who are in no way at any risk, is just crazy. And immoral.

The pharmaceutical companies who have given us these vaccines have done humanity a great favour, for which we owe them gratitude (and a good deal of money). But their greed should be curbed.
Actually, while most kids can get fewer symptoms from Covid-19, some can get seriously ill and all can potentially transmit the disease (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... k-and-kids). Parents of children know our little darlings are essentially little Petri dishes.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 7
Level 7

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 am
Biden supports waiving patents but it's not a done deal yet. There has been considerable resistance to it.
Jeannie

rene
Level 17
Level 17

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 am
Biden supports waiving patents but it's not a done deal yet. There has been considerable resistance to it.
Internationally and among others, from Germany. Seems like COVID-19 has now caused us to enter the mirror universe. Darned virus...
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 am
while most kids can get fewer symptoms from Covid-19, some can get seriously ill (....) (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... k-and-kids).
That sounds nasty; I didn't know that some children might get seriously ill as well.

I suppose that also for children we'd have to weigh their risks of getting serious side effects from vaccinating, against their risks of getting seriously ill from COVID. Proper and intelligent use of statistics is always important, but even more so when children are concerned.
SMG
Level 15
Level 15

Post by SMG »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:48 am
That sounds nasty; I didn't know that some children might get seriously ill as well.
Children have died from COVID. I recall one in my town being only around 6 yrs old. I can't recall the exact age as it was a while ago, but I recall the child being around the age of starting school.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

A reminder:
xenopeek wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:59 pm
Admin note: some posts have been removed from this topic. To those that don't care for the vaccine, or for national effort to reduce hospitalizations and preventable deaths, please take that elsewhere. This topic is for those that got the jab and sharing personal experience.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Personal opinion and observation.
I think vaccines are the the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I was born in the first year of the baby boom, there was no MMR or Polio vaccine. After I started attending first grade I caught all the childhood diseases one after the other. Got sick, stay home, recover. Wash, rinse and repeat a week or two later. Some were mild but others were filled with fever dreams that I wish I could forget. Missed about half of the school year. Small pox and polio were easy, a scratch on the arm and a sugar cube.
My dad got shingles a couple of years before he passed. He was in total misery and just about parallelized on one side. If you ever had chicken pox get the shingles shot. I did.
When I was in boot camp we had a shot day. Everybody went through a line of medics armed with pneumatic inoculatiors. Injected with every known vaccine for tropical diseases, tetanus, plague and some others. The only after effects were sore arms and no excuse for missing PT.
For those who are weary of getting the Covid vaccine you are more likely getting into a serious auto accident or struck by lightning than getting serious complication from it. I got the Covid shot, twice, just a sore arm for a day, twice. I'll take that over being hospitalized and maybe being on ventilator.
Some one mentioned kids being petri dishes. I was probably one of them when I was in the first grade.

PS
Polio and small pox has been almost totally eradicated because of worldwide vaccination efforts.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 7
Level 7

farkas wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 am
Personal opinion and observation.
I think vaccines are the the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I was born in the first year of the baby boom, there was no MMR or Polio vaccine. After I started attending first grade I caught all the childhood diseases one after the other. Got sick, stay home, recover. Wash, rinse and repeat a week or two later. Some were mild but others were filled with fever dreams that I wish I could forget. Missed about half of the school year. Small pox and polio were easy, a scratch on the arm and a sugar cube.
My dad got shingles a couple of years before he passed. He was in total misery and just about parallelized on one side. If you ever had chicken pox get the shingles shot. I did.
When I was in boot camp we had a shot day. Everybody went through a line of medics armed with pneumatic inoculatiors. Injected with every known vaccine for tropical diseases, tetanus, plague and some others. The only after effects were sore arms and no excuse for missing PT.
For those who are weary of getting the Covid vaccine you are more likely getting into a serious auto accident or struck by lightning than getting serious complication from it. I got the Covid shot, twice, just a sore arm for a day, twice. I'll take that over being hospitalized and maybe being on ventilator.
Some one mentioned kids being petri dishes. I was probably one of them when I was in the first grade.

PS
Polio and small pox has been almost totally eradicated because of worldwide vaccination efforts.
The first Polio vaccine used extensively in the SSA was the Salk Vaccine in the midfifties which was administered by injection (that was the first one I had). Later (early sixties) the Sabin Vaccine for Polio came out and was administered by a drop on a sugar cube (I remember getting that one as well).

I remember the large round scars my parents had on their upper arms from their Smallpox inoculations but I don't have the scar even though I was inoculated as a kid. I had the red measles, chicken pox, and mumps (on both sides) when I was a kid (somehow, I managed to avoid Rubella).

While penicillin was developed before I was born in the '40s, it wasn't used much until after I was born. I can still remember when I was a child hearing my mother talking about the sulfa drugs that were used before penicillin.
Jeannie