Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 am ...2nd thing I like about them, is they can be left plugged in to A/C power, but they are powered down, unless the cable is plugged into a PC, then it turns ON.
I suggest that, even though you can leave it plugged into the AC mains without it being powered up, you do not. If a bad current surge or voltage spike comes down the line, it could blow through to the drive itself and toast the data on it. Since it's going to be unplugged anyway, you should store it somewhere else out of sight of the computer to make less like to be taken by a thief, etc.

Otherwise, even though I'm not a fan of spinners or Seagate, that seems to be a pretty good backup drive.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:43 pm 2 of my Seagate external drives and 2 of my relative's failed. Then I went for an Western Digital. I only use the external drives for backups.
I was a fan of WD until recently; they seem to be slipping a bit. The biggest reason I'm no longer a WD fangirl is I'm no longer using spinners and almost exclusively using Samsung SSDs, the two 8TB Sabrents, one in use and the other a spare, being the exception (and even Samsung is slipping a bit; the 980 Pros are TLC instead MLC like the 970 Pros and earlier).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Back to the ranch...er...topic... I just received this message from System76:

Hi Jeannie,

Happy Friday! My apologies for the time that this repair has taken. The motherboard in your system was replaced, and everything is testing okay now, but your 512GB drive is still not completing its boot, and we're coordinating with the hardware team to get that fixed. I'm checking in with them for another update and to see if they need any other information from us. I'll be back in touch with another update as soon as possible. This is the last remaining issue to fix, so as soon as the boot-up is completing reliably we will have this on the way back to you. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding through all of this!

I knew there was a hardware issue.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:42 pm Back to the ranch...er...topic... I just received this message from System76:

Hi Jeannie,

Happy Friday! My apologies for the time that this repair has taken. The motherboard in your system was replaced, and everything is testing okay now, but your 512GB drive is still not completing its boot, and we're coordinating with the hardware team to get that fixed. I'm checking in with them for another update and to see if they need any other information from us. I'll be back in touch with another update as soon as possible. This is the last remaining issue to fix, so as soon as the boot-up is completing reliably we will have this on the way back to you. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding through all of this!

I knew there was a hardware issue.
Nice at least they are moving in the right direction. It took me two trips for them to get it right.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 pm ...Nice at least they are moving in the right direction. It took me two trips for them to get it right.
This is the second trip.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 pm ...Nice at least they are moving in the right direction. It took me two trips for them to get it right.
This is the second trip.
Maybe that is the norm for them?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:22 am
This is the second trip.
That thought has crossed my mind.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:22 am

This is the second trip.
That thought has crossed my mind.
Well have they managed to get it right then?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Nothing new to report yet. It's still in the shop.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I got the following message a little while ago:

Hey Jeannie,

We tried to reach out with the phone number listed on file but were unable to get through.

Would you be able to confirm a good number to get in touch with you?

Our factory is unable to test your drive setup without having all the drives, the system is booting but was not completing the process.

Options:

-We can re-image your operating system.

-We can send the laptop back to you with the hardware repaired but the software as is. And then can provide guidance on getting your system backed up and your OS re-installed.

Let us know!...

First, the phone number I listed is one I use when companies demand I give them my phone number. I do not give out my phone number to anyone other than friends, family, and trusted businesses such as my doctor due to past abuses from telemarketers and politicians. The number has a 555 exchange, which goes to directory assistance. I use it so an innocent party will not get my junk calls. Using 555 for fake phone numbers is common knowledge since it's used frequently in books, movies, and TV shows for the same reasons and should be common knowledge.

Also, I own my phones; the phones nor anyone else own them. I do not appreciate people interrupting whatever I'm doing, demanding my time at that moment. If I'm busy, such as sleeping, eating watching TV, reading, etc., I will not answer the phone. If the call is important, the caller can leave a message.

I was able to get the number of junk calls reduced to one every other month or so until late last year when more telescammers started using autodialers for robocalls despite being illegal. I have DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder) and often have trouble sleeping at night. This often means I'm sleeping in the morning as late as noon or taking a nap in the afternoon and the lowlifes wake me up. I got fed up and turned off all the ringers on my phones so I no longer can be reached by phone except to leave me a message. I suggested that they provide me with a phone number and contact name and the hours between when I can call.

I'm not enthused with the options they offered me. I don't even know what they mean by reimaging my operating system. They already sent the laptop back once and were unable to tell me how to fix it (none of the tech help they've given me before the computer died has worked) so my confidence in them being able to tell me how to fix it isn't very high.

I'm considering having them return it, then take it to a local repair shop that has a good reputation to see what they can do and, if they can fix it, send the bill to System76.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

What do they mean by "Re-image"? Did they say? I gave them my number, and do not seem to have any more spam calls than before.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 am What do they mean by "Re-image"? Did they say? I gave them my number, and do not seem to have any more spam calls than before.
I have no idea what they mean by reimage.

I've had too many companies claim they would not abuse my phone number, then either abuse it themselves (use it for a sales call, etc.) or the number of spam calls increased afterwards (suggesting the sold my number) so I just don't trust most people, businesses, etc. with my phone numbers (I got really sensitive to the spam calls when I worked a night shift before I retired and the jerks would wake me up pretty much everyday). That strategy, and ditching the landline, worked to eventually get me off the call lists and stop the calls until the telescammers started using autodialers for their robocalls and waking me up or otherwise interrupting my life. That's why I finally turned off the ringers on my phones at home (my home phones are cordless phones connected to a cellular phone modem). Even if I gave System76 my phone number, they wouldn't be able to reach me because I wouldn't hear the ring.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

They sent me a message with a number to call and a time frame to call within. I have called that number around a dozen times that goes to their voice mail ironically asking me to leave them my phone number. Even more ironic is the message says they are looking forward to talking to me and a technical support agent will be with me me shortly just before the call goes to voicemail. Yeesh! :roll:

Edit: About ten minutes before their closing time, I finally got a ring...ring...ring... After over a dozen rings, I gave up for the day.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 am .....snip..........
lists and stop the calls until the telescammers started using autodialers for their robocalls and waking me up or otherwise interrupting my life. That's why I finally turned off the ringers on my phones at home (my home phones are cordless phones connected to a cellular phone modem). Even if I gave System76 my phone number, they wouldn't be able to reach me because I wouldn't hear the ring.
Rather than turn off the Ringer, I use MacroDroid which monitors my incoming calls.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

IF,
the call is not listed in my Contacts List, it is rejected and goes to Voice Mail.

It happens so fast, that my cellphone never whimpers, I hear nothing, unless the spammer actually left a Voice Mail, and RoboCallers don't do that.

MacroDroid is extremely useful to me, I have about 15 macros that I turn ON/OFF as the occasion occurs.

the RoboCaller macro is always ON,
.... unless I am specially listening for an incoming call from an unknown number .... like a vendor that is supposed to call me back...
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 am .....snip..........
lists and stop the calls until the telescammers started using autodialers for their robocalls and waking me up or otherwise interrupting my life. That's why I finally turned off the ringers on my phones at home (my home phones are cordless phones connected to a cellular phone modem). Even if I gave System76 my phone number, they wouldn't be able to reach me because I wouldn't hear the ring.
Rather than turn off the Ringer, I use MacroDroid which monitors my incoming calls.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

IF,
the call is not listed in my Contacts List, it is rejected and goes to Voice Mail.

It happens so fast, that my cellphone never whimpers, I hear nothing, unless the spammer actually left a Voice Mail, and RoboCallers don't do that.

MacroDroid is extremely useful to me, I have about 15 macros that I turn ON/OFF as the occasion occurs.

the RoboCaller macro is always ON,
.... unless I am specially listening for an incoming call from an unknown number .... like a vendor that is supposed to call me back...
My home phones are a cordless phone system. I have the base station connected to a modem that connects the system to the Verizon Cellular network. The phones work just like they would if connected to a landline but actually work as a talk only cell phone (that rules out any apps). This way, I get some of the benefits of a cell phone, such as unlimited talk and free domestic long distance, while still getting the convenience of multiple phones scattered around my house for less money than the cost of a landline, internet carrier VOIP, or a smart phone and plan.

I have to physically put a phone number on a block list to block it. Even then, it will ring once before blocking the call. By then, if I'm sleeping at the time, the damage is done.

My cell phone is a dumb as rocks flip phone that is on a pay as you go plan. I got it strictly for emergencies so I keep it turned off except when I'm going to use it both to save money and battery life and also because I don't need an electronic umbilical cord connecting me at the lip 24/7.

I can't justify the cost of a so called "smart" phone and the data plan it would need. I pay only $5.45/mo. (including taxes and fees) to keep my cell phone plan topped off and any unused amount at the end of the month gets rolled over to the next month for a year. I have the monthly top up set for autopay and to also top off an additional $5 if my balance ever runs below 5$ (I've yet to have that happen). The first call on any day costs $1.99, then it's unlimited calls for the rest of that day. I don't have to worry about how much balance I have nor how much data I may have used (priceless for many people with ADHD who have to keep their lives simple).

I also don't trust Google nor Apple (not to mention Apple is overpriced) so that leaves out "smart" phones. Linux phones are not ready for prime time yet although I'm watching their progress.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I still would just call them. If nothing else go to somewhere there is WiFi and use Viber maybe. My Pixel 3a phone has spammer/scammer block built in, and I can pre-screen all those I do not know. After I tell the phone it is spam, I never ever get a call from them again. It might be a good thing to speak with them now that they HAVE found there was a problem.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:55 am I still would just call them. If nothing else go to somewhere there is WiFi and use Viber maybe. My Pixel 3a phone has spammer/scammer block built in, and I can pre-screen all those I do not know. After I tell the phone it is spam, I never ever get a call from them again. It might be a good thing to speak with them now that they HAVE found there was a problem.
I already posted this earlier but here it is again (this was yesterday):

"They sent me a message with a number to call and a time frame to call within. I have called that number around a dozen times that goes to their voice mail ironically asking me to leave them my phone number. Even more ironic is the message says they are looking forward to talking to me and a technical support agent will be with me me shortly just before the call goes to voicemail. Yeesh! :roll:

Edit: About ten minutes before their closing time, I finally got a ring...ring...ring... After over a dozen rings, I gave up for the day.
"

I'll be trying again a little later. I had another bad night and I'm still waking up.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Right now, I'm livid! After I had sent a nastygram to them about not answering their phone, I received a reply saying to call a specific extension (insted just their Technical "support") and to leave a message if he didn't pick up. He didn't pick up both times I called. I left a message both times. I have sent them another nastygram asking what was it going to take to get a live body and what did they mean by, "...reimage your operating system" (I was going to ask that over the phone but for some reason I couldn't...Oh yeah, they won't answer their blasted phones!).
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

your exercise with those people has ruled System 76 from ever being considered as a replacement for me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 pm your exercise with those people has ruled System 76 from ever being considered as a replacement for me.
Yeah, I'm never buying from them again, either.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”