Isn't facebook wonderful

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Isn't facebook wonderful

Post by AndyMH »

NOT.

Not a fan, did join years ago (10+?) and never used it, just don't do 'social media'. Tried to login recently, with my std email addy, no joy, no idea what the pwd is (it was so important I didn't save it in keepass). Requested pwd change, no email arrived (several times), so opened new account with a different but similar email account (different domain suffix). Just tried to login:
Screenshot from 2021-07-13 20-05-34.png
cancel leads to:
Facebook - Chromium_009.png
Duh??

If I hated it before, I hate it even more now. All I wanted to do was join an SF group to see if anybody was interested in the +500 books I have to dispose of for FREE.

Rant over.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Isn't facebook wonderful

Post by gittiest personITW »

Maybe if you do decide to give them your inside leg measurement and a retinal scan, you'll be able to get rid of your SF.
Any good ones?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'd also be interested in your SF book list.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Maybe if you do decide to give them your inside leg measurement and a retinal scan, you'll be able to get rid of your SF.
You forgot the colonoscopy requirement...lol...DAMIEN
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 pm the +500 books I have to dispose of for FREE
If you have some time to spend on this project, want to gamify it somewhat, and would enjoy hearing back from some of those books over the years to come:
BookCrossing.

As for Facebook: I can't say I've had the 'pleasure'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:48 pm I'd also be interested in your SF book list.
The pdf is 216kb, just too big to attach (assuming you can attach a pdf). It still insisted a 23kb text file was too big? PM me with an email addy and I'll send it to you. Unfortunately you are a bit too far away, postage would be a killer.
If you have some time to spend on this project
Looked at the home page, what does it do?
Any good ones?
Too long to list but, Poul Anderson, Neal Asher (keeping), Asimov, Iain M Banks (keeping), Stephen Baxter, Joe Haldeman, Harry Harrison, Larry Niven, Charlie Stross, John Varley, Vernor Vinge to name just a few.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

One word, NO :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:35 am Looked at the home page, what does it do?
It gives you tracking numbers for your books, and then you can label them with that number and release them into the wild for others to find. If a finder uses the number to make a journal entry, you'll get notified.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

Who else managed to bring CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, BBC, DW and all world's news channels and agencies to make an account on his web site?
Great job Mark!

For billions of people if something is not on Facebook it does not exist.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

I have a FB account, but I've never been on it. My wife created it and posted a bunch of stuff at one time. Now she just lets it set, as do I. I still get e-mails all the time - people trying to friend me, people posting, etc, but I never respond. FB just wanted too much info in the early years for me to join. I suspect they want more info now.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 pm NOT.
I signed up for fecebook years ago and never made a post, then a few months ago logged in (IIRC, to see something...?) and it notified me that I was canceled for violating their terms of service.
canceled.jpg
canceled.jpg (5.73 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Fecebook is an evil company, I got off Instagram and deleted everything when FB took it over.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ckonn wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 am Who else managed to bring CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, BBC, DW and all world's news channels and agencies to make an account on his web site?
Great job Mark!

For billions of people if something is not on Facebook it does not exist.
Well, y'know... stupid is as stupid does. I've no sympathy for those who refuse to keep themselves informed and aware.

Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

I will chime in with the very unpopular opinion (here) that Facebook has its uses, that are not always nefarious. No one I know would consider me to be a lemming.

Personally, it has allowed me to reconnect with some important people that I've lost touch with over the years, and get some visibility into their lives. I've also participated in several useful niche communities about things as trivial as a local tag sale group, but also very niche personal interests (Sonobus, real-time online music collaboration platform). In some cases, these connections or collaborations would otherwise have not happened. Recently I sold a whole bunch of musical gear via the Facebook Marketplace. These were good transactions with local folks, whose profiles I could review, and otherwise qualify.

Is my guard up? hell yes. My profile is locked down and I am super selective about what my feed and friends look like.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Personally, it has allowed me to reconnect with some important people that I've lost touch with over the years
friendsreunited did that me me here in the UK, sadly no more. Got me in touch with a couple of school friends I hadn't seen for over 30 years.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Kendoori wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:58 pm I will chime in with the very unpopular opinion (here) that Facebook has its uses, that are not always nefarious. No one I know would consider me to be a lemming.

Personally, it has allowed me to reconnect with some important people that I've lost touch with over the years, and get some visibility into their lives. I've also participated in several useful niche communities about things as trivial as a local tag sale group, but also very niche personal interests (Sonobus, real-time online music collaboration platform). In some cases, these connections or collaborations would otherwise have not happened. Recently I sold a whole bunch of musical gear via the Facebook Marketplace. These were good transactions with local folks, whose profiles I could review, and otherwise qualify.

Is my guard up? hell yes. My profile is locked down and I am super selective about what my feed and friends look like.
Facebook started out at a time when the whole of social media was a lot more innocent and friendly than we know it today. Facebook's growing ubiquity was its chief strength back in the day, as you say reuniting people and introducing so many folks to so many other folks. Some of my best friends today started out as Facebook friends. Four of those people live in Germany, and I wouldn't trade their friendships for anything in the world.

That said, Facebook's embededness in world culture has also been its downfall. FB is not social media, but it often is the "face" (apologies for the pun) of social media, and along with Twitter have allowed for the distribution of such negativity on a wide scale because of giving everyone a platform and a megaphone.

There are those who curse Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey for FB and Twitter's respective existence. I think that hatred is misplaced. However, they and their respective staffs are also hated for their lack of action in stopping the spread of online hate, of misinformation and disinformation, all the while profiting from letting stuff go on that should have been shut down on Day 1. I left all of social media because of the negativity it constantly presented me with. That said, there's an almost immeasurable number of useful idiots and charlatans out there who make up what Charles Dickens coined back in 1843 as the "surplus population". I would argue there's no sin in taking steps to keep them and their idiocy from being shoved in one's face on a daily basis.

Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Portreve wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm That said, there's an almost immeasurable number of useful idiots and charlatans out there who make up what Charles Dickens coined back in 1843 as the "surplus population". I would argue there's no sin in taking steps to keep them and their idiocy from being shoved in one's face on a daily basis.
The problem is, just who decides who is a useful idiot or charlatan?
tammy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tammy »

Honesty it used to be wonderful and very engaging but now with Instagram taking over all the social networking sites, FB need to up their game I feel!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Schultz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 pm
Portreve wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm That said, there's an almost immeasurable number of useful idiots and charlatans out there who make up what Charles Dickens coined back in 1843 as the "surplus population". I would argue there's no sin in taking steps to keep them and their idiocy from being shoved in one's face on a daily basis.
The problem is, just who decides who is a useful idiot or charlatan?
Everyone will try, I suppose, but only those capable of doing so will do it accurately. And if things continue to go the way they are going, a significant percentage of those morons will likely take themselves out, thus easing if not truly solving the problem.

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

a significant percentage of those morons will likely take themselves out, thus easing if not truly solving the problem.
Wouldn't that be a blessing...lol...DAMIEN
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:21 am Everyone will try, I suppose, but only those capable of doing so will do it accurately. And if things continue to go the way they are going, a significant percentage of those morons will likely take themselves out, thus easing if not truly solving the problem.
And who decides who is capable?

Return to “Open Chat”