*FOOD* Post your Recipes

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: *FOOD* Post your Recipes

Post by Portreve »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:53 pm Anyone who pays attention would notice the weird amount of flour and immediately be suspicious. Anyone with a basic understanding of measurements and addition would notice the ingredients will not fit in a 2 cup measuring cup. Anyone with a basic understanding of primary school chemistry should recognise what occurs in Step 4.
:wink: :lol:

That'll teach her!

A former supervisor of mine when I was enslaved at worked for Sony for five years once told a story. He'd served in the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War, and had done a lot of other things (mostly law-related) before eventually turning to technology and going to work for Sony.

He was a cop somewhere, and one time pulled someone over for speeding.

Guy says to him, “Why'd you pull me over? What about all the other people who were speeding too?”

He asks the guy, “So, let me ask you something. You ever go fishing?”

“Yeah,” says the guy.

“You ever catch all the fish?”

That story still makes me smile to this day.

P.S.: I just made my Chicken Pesto tonight. Hadn't made it in a few months, and posting about it here made me hungry for it again. Now my stomach has a happy.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Post by HaveaMint »

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
• 3 cooked skinless chicken breasts
• 1 15 oz can kidney beans
• 1 can corn
• 1 can stewed tomatoes
• 1 chopped onion
• ½ green bell pepper – chopped
• ½ red bell pepper – chopped
• 1 can green chili peppers
• 2 - 14 oz cans chicken broth
• ¼ tsp cumin
• ¼ tsp pepper
• 12 corn tortillas
How to Make It
1 Simmer for at least 45 minutes
2 Add shredded tortilla strips
3 Serve topped with grated cheese
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Memories of my long-ago Army days. This is the breakfast favourite of lots of GI's including me, especially when topped with a fried egg.

ARMY SOS (reduced from the original recipe that made gallons)

1 pound ground beef
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cube beef bullion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain fat and set aside.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.

Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly to form a brown roux.

Add the bullion.

Gradually stir in the milk and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well

Add the reserved ground beef, salt & pepper

Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Serve hot over buttered toast.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Here is a proper recipe. I do not know if this is a traditional dish, but it is one of the better beef stews I made. I think I converted to the metric correctly.

Belgian Beef and Onion Stew
Serves 6

Ingredients
3.5 lbs/1.5kg top blade steaks or beef chuck, trimmed of gristle and fat
Salt
Ground black pepper
3 Tbsp/45ml olive oil
2 lbs/4.5kg yellow onions (about 3 medium sized), halved and sliced about 1/4 inch/0.5mm thick (about 8 cups/2L)
1T/30ml tomato paste
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tsp/10ml)
3T/60g all-purpose flour
3/4 cup/180ml low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup/180ml low-sodium beef broth
12 ounces/360ml dark ale or stout beer (Chimay Première or Newcastle Brown Ale, are good)
4 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with kitchen twine
2 bay leaves
1T/15ml cider vinegar

Adjust oven rack to lower middle position; preheat oven to 300°F/180°C.

Slice the beef into 1-inch/2.5cm cubes, dry thoroughly with paper towels, and season generously with salt and pepper. On the stove top, heat 2t/10ml olive oil in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke, Add 1/3 of the beef to the pot and cook without moving the pieces until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes; using tongs, turn each piece and continue cooking until second side is well browned. Transfer the browned beef to a bowl, and repeat with second 1/3 the beef and an additional 2t/10ml of oil. (If the drippings in the bottom of the pot are very dark, add half a cup of the chicken or beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits; pour liquid into the bowl with the browned beef and continue.) Repeat again with an additional 2t/10ml of oil and the remaining beef. Remove beef from the dutch oven.

Add 1T/15ml olive oil to dutch oven; reduce heat to medium low. Add the onions, 0.5t/1g salt, and tomato paste; cook, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, until onions have released some moisture, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in broths, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits; stir in beer, thyme, bay, vinegar, browned beef with any of the accumulated juices, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a full simmer, stirring occasionally; cover partially, then place pot in oven. Cook until fork inserted into beef meets little resistance, about 2 hours.

Discard thyme and bay. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Can serve plain or with egg noodles, spätzle, potatoes, or rice.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Here is another proper recipe. Again, I think the metric is correct.

Maque Choux with Shrimp
Serves 4 to 6

This is a traditional dish of Louisiana (US) that is usually served as side dish. People who don’t know no better might pronounce it make-chow, or worse make-chokes. Folks from Louisiana pronounce it mocka-shoo.

It can be a main course by adding sausage, shrimp or crawfish, or chicken or pork. If you cannot find andouille sausage, you can substitute chorizo or other spicy sausage. It can be a vegan dish if you eliminate the bacon, sausage and other non-vegan ingredients - when I lived in New Orleans vegan maque choux was popular during the Lent.

Fresh corn is best, but frozen corn works well, too. For frozen corn, use 6 cups/1.5L of thawed kernels; process 1½ cups/360ml of kernels with ½ cup/120ml of water in a blender until coarsely ground to replace the grated corn in Step 3.

Ingredients
8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
4 slices bacon, chopped fine
2T/60ml vegetable oil
5oz/150g andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 celery rib, minced
Salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon/15ml tomato paste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2C/470ml water or shrimp stock
1 (14.5-ounce)/411g can diced tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
1-1/2 pounds/680g extra-large (16/20) shrimp
6 scallions, sliced thin
  1. Peel and de-vein the shrimp, and set aside.
  2. If using shrimp stock instead of water, place the shells and the leftover vegetable trimmings (onion, bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic) in a small pot. Add 2 cups/470ml water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. When the liquid comes to a boil, remove from heat and let steep for 15-20 minutes. Strain to remove the shells and vegetable bits.
  3. Cut kernels from 6 ears of corn. Break remaining 2 ears in half and grate over plate on large holes of box grater. Combine cut kernels, grated corn, and any accumulated corn milk in bowl; set aside.
  4. Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to bowl with corn.
  5. Add oil to rendered bacon fat in pot and return to medium heat. Add andouille and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
  6. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften and brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
  7. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  8. Stir in corn-bacon mixture, water or stock, and tomatoes and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits.
  9. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until liquid has reduced by three-fourths, 25 to 30 minutes.
  10. Stir in reserved tomato juice and cook until liquid is reduced by two-thirds and mixture is slightly thickened and creamy, about 10 minutes longer.
  11. Stir in shrimp and continue to cook until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
  12. Off heat, stir in scallions and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Crab Bisque

Post by HaveaMint »

Crab Bisque

Ingredients
• ½ cups chopped green onions
• ½ cups chopped celery
• ½ stick butter
• 2 cans cream of potato soup undiluted
• 1 ½ cans cream style corn
• 2 cups half and half
• ¾ cups milk
• 1 8 oz container whipping cream
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ¼ tsp white ground pepper
• 2 cans crab meat
How to Make It
1 Sauté onions and celery in butter
2 Combine all of ingredients except
3 Cook on low until thoroughly heated
4 Gently stir in crab
5 Cook until bubbly
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Lob Scouse

Post by Moonstone Man »

Throw everything leftover from the previous week into a pan, add water and salt if necessary then reheat.

lob : transitive verb : lobbed; lobbing
: to throw

Scouse : from Scouser
: a native or inhabitant of Liverpool, England
Last edited by Moonstone Man on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Olde time WWII meal

Post by Moonstone Man »

This is a recipe I picked up from my adoptive grandmother, kept alive by my adoptive mum because my adoptive dad loved it. It’s very simple, takes only about 30 minutes to prepare, including 10 minutes preparation and 20 minutes waiting for it to cook. It’s absolutely not suitable for vegetarians.

You will need 2kg of deli bacon with the fat on, 3kg of large, dirty potatoes, two or three large onions, and a kettle of boiling water.

1) Peel the potatoes and let them soak in cold water while you slice the onions.
2) Slice the potatoes into scallops, up to about 5-8mm thick.
3) Layer the potatoes in the bottom of an electric frying pan.
4) Layer the onions on top of the potatoes.
5) Layer the bacon on top of the onions. At this point, your electric frying pan will be pretty much full to the top.
6) Add sufficient boiling water to just cover the potatoes but not the onions.

Cover the electric frying pan and cook on medium for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and tender. You can test the potatoes with a fork. It's cooked when the fork goes through the thickest potato.

Don’t add salt or any spices to the recipe. If you like salt or spice, add it when the food is on your plate. For variation, you can use short cut bacon sans fat, or cut about 80% of the fat off deli bacon. You can also drain the juice into a pan, fry the potatoes and onions in butter then add the juice back, this is a very tasty touch. It also tastes great reheated.

For a truly English style taste, only slice the dirty potatoes, don’t wash or peel them :mrgreen:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Olde time WWII meal

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 pm This is a recipe I picked up from my adoptive grandmother, kept alive by my adoptive mum because my adoptive dad loved it. It’s very simple, takes only about 30 minutes to prepare, including 10 minutes preparation and 20 minutes waiting for it to cook. It’s absolutely not suitable for vegetarians.

You will need 2kg of deli bacon with the fat on, 3kg of large, dirty potatoes, two or three large onions, and a kettle of boiling water.

1) Peel the potatoes and let them soak in cold water while you slice the onions.
2) Slice the potatoes into scallops, up to about 5-8mm thick.
3) Layer the potatoes in the bottom of an electric frying pan.
4) Layer the onions on top of the potatoes.
5) Layer the bacon on top of the onions. At this point, your electric frying pan will be pretty much full to the top.
6) Add sufficient boiling water to just cover the potatoes but not the onions.

Cover the electric frying pan and cook on medium for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and tender. You can test the potatoes with a fork. It's cooked when the fork goes through the thickest potato.

Don’t add salt or any spices to the recipe. If you like salt or spice, add it when the food is on your plate. For variation, you can use short cut bacon sans fat, or cut about 80% of the fat off deli bacon. You can also drain the juice into a pan, fry the potatoes and onions in butter then add the juice back, this is a very tasty touch. It also tastes great reheated.
Sounds rather medieval. Or nineteenth-century Dutch:
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 pm For a truly English style taste, only slice the dirty potatoes, don’t wash or peel them :mrgreen:
For the emetic touch. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Olde time WWII meal

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 pm For a truly English style taste, only slice the dirty potatoes, don’t wash or peel them :mrgreen:
For the emetic touch. :lol:
Didn't you eat dirt when you were young?

:)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Lob Scouse

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:23 pm Throw everything leftover from the previous week into a pan, add water and salt if necessary then reheat.

lob : transitive verb : lobbed; lobbing
: to throw

Scouse : from Scouser
: a native or inhabitant of Liverpool, England
I used to get rid of leftovers that way back when I still had children at home. We called it Whatchagot Stew. I would also add Lawry's "Seasoned Pepper" or "Garlic Pepper" or McCormick's "Italian Seasoning". If it was a little sparse, I would add some diced potato and beef or chicken bouillon.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:24 am Whatchagot Stew.
Cute, but I think lob scouse is more enigmatic :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

For cooler weather, MY home made chili:

3 lbs coarsely ground meat (Beef, but you can use whatever you want, just adjust spices accordingly to your taste)

1 large onion, finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

1 teaspoon of ground oregano

1 teaspoon ground comino (cumin)

4-8 oz of good quality chili powder (more if you desire)

1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilis

2 large (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce

2 cups of water

1 can of tomato paste

1 teaspoon salt (to taste)

2 teaspoons of paprika

1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper

brown the meat, onions and garlic together. After it is browned, pour off almost all of the fat, and add all the other ingredents. Simmer for at least two hours on very low heat. Add water as needed to keep it from burning or getting too dry.

Serve with beans (ON THE SIDE!!!!), grated cheddar cheese, rice, and saltine crackers. In Texas Chili DOES NOT HAVE BEANS, Beans are fixin's to be served ON THE SIDE!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 am
My daughter and I were Patrick McManus (outdoor sports humorist) fans back then (which was odd since my daughter had no interest in camping, fishing, etc.) and Whatchagot Stew was the name of a cookbook written by McManus and his wife. Somehow, the name of the book became associated with the cra...stew I made.

Another quickie I used to fix was to take two or three cans of canned tamales (Hormel, methinks) and empty them into a casserole dish. Canned tamales are a piddle poor replacement for the real thing. They were wrapped in paper and jammed into the cans so tightly they were a pain to get out. I would just fish them out with a spoon, fish out the paper wrappers, then break up any survivors into bite-sized chunks. I would mix in some canned red enchilada sauce, top with shredded cheddar and some sliced black olives on top of the cheese, then bake in the oven until the cheese melted and the tamale chunks were hot. The kids loved it. I shared the recipe with a coworker and he said his kids loved it (he did, too).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 am Serve with beans (ON THE SIDE!!!!), grated cheddar cheese, rice, and saltine crackers. In Texas Chili DOES NOT HAVE BEANS, Beans are fixin's to be served ON THE SIDE!
As a Brit have to say I like kidney beans in my chilli :) Also has to be with sour cream and guacamole, rice or nachos.

Seen too many people boil rice to death. To prepare rice take one measure of rice (a cup or whatever) and two measures of water. Add a dash of olive oil and a dash of lemon/lime juice. Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer (the lowest setting on your hob). Put a lid on and DO NOT REMOVE IT - no peeking. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Check to see if done when the timer pings. Some rice takes a little longer.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:46 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 am
My daughter and I were Patrick McManus (outdoor sports humorist) fans back then (which was odd since my daughter had no interest in camping, fishing, etc.) and Whatchagot Stew was the name of a cookbook written by McManus and his wife. Somehow, the name of the book became associated with the cra...stew I made.

Another quickie I used to fix was to take two or three cans of canned tamales (Hormel, methinks) and empty them into a casserole dish. Canned tamales are a piddle poor replacement for the real thing. They were wrapped in paper and jammed into the cans so tightly they were a pain to get out. I would just fish them out with a spoon, fish out the paper wrappers, then break up any survivors into bite-sized chunks. I would mix in some canned red enchilada sauce, top with shredded cheddar and some sliced black olives on top of the cheese, then bake in the oven until the cheese melted and the tamale chunks were hot. The kids loved it. I shared the recipe with a coworker and he said his kids loved it (he did, too).
Yeah no kidding. I drive into San Antonio (over 45 minutes) to get to Tellez Tamales for the real thing. But they have gone from $7.50/dozen to $12.50/dozen over the last number of years. I have to get at least two dozen, plus a pound of barbacoa (all meat, no brains) for the familia. My wife and kids turned their noses up at CANNED tamales, but being an Army brat, those were about all we could get overseas (Germany and Japan), so I grew up with canned tamales.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 am Serve with beans (ON THE SIDE!!!!), grated cheddar cheese, rice, and saltine crackers. In Texas Chili DOES NOT HAVE BEANS, Beans are fixin's to be served ON THE SIDE!
As a Brit have to say I like kidney beans in my chilli :) Also has to be with sour cream and guacamole, rice or nachos.

Seen too many people boil rice to death. To prepare rice take one measure of rice (a cup or whatever) and two measures of water. Add a dash of olive oil and a dash of lemon/lime juice. Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer (the lowest setting on your hob). Put a lid on and DO NOT REMOVE IT - no peeking. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Check to see if done when the timer pings. Some rice takes a little longer.
That is the way to cook rice. Absolutely. Beans are for addition afterwards..... My wife wants a little chili with her beans and cornbread.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

fstjohn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:26 pm ...ARMY SOS...
When my sister and I were kids, we thought SOS was a treat (we didn't call it SODS, though; it was creamed beef on toast).

I was shopping with a friend in CA a couple of years ago and, after she had asked me if I liked SOS (she used the full name) and I said I did, she started loudly announcing to everyone in the store that were were going to have SOS (again, she used the full name). I kept telling people I wasn't with her.

Only the two of us could turn grocery shopping into a fun event.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:22 am
fstjohn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:26 pm ...ARMY SOS...
When my sister and I were kids, we thought SOS was a treat (we didn't call it SODS, though; it was creamed beef on toast).

I was shopping with a friend in CA a couple of years ago and, after she had asked me if I liked SOS (she used the full name) and I said I did, she started loudly announcing to everyone in the store that were were going to have SOS (again, she used the full name). I kept telling people I wasn't with her.

Only the two of us could turn grocery shopping into a fun event.

My mess hall in my first unit had the worlds best SOS, made with chipped beef. There was nothing like it. I love SOS.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Taco Soup

Post by HaveaMint »

Taco Soup
Ingredients
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 onion – chopped
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1 can diced tomato
• 1 can creamed corn
• 1 can kidney or northern beans – undrained
• 1+ tsp chili powder
• 1 ½ tsp cumin
• 1 tsp oregano (to taste, add more if needed)
• 1 envelope ranch style dressing mix
• 1 cup frozen corn
How to Make It
1 Cook and drain ground beef
2 Combine all ingredients in a large pot
3 Cook over medium heat for 15 min
4 Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
5 Serve with crumbled tortilla chips and cheddar cheese over the top

Return to “Open Chat”