Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm ...turns out Epson printers have a counter after it reaches 100 Cleaning Cycles, it stops dead in its' tracks and will NOT advance.

The Waste Ink tank has to be removed/cleaned or Replaced...
I've had two Epson products: an inkjet color printer and a flatbed scanner. Both were pure garbage...no, that's not true. Garbage is good chicken feed and pig slop. Crap? No, crap is good for making grass grow. Hazardous waste? Yeah, that works,

The printer heads had to be cleaned before every time I used it. If even one color cartridge was empty, I had to replace it or I couldn't print B&W, even though it had a black ink cartridge.

I had to retime the scanner every third time I used it because of belt slippage.

The most satisfying sound I ever heard was the loud THUNK each made when lofted into a large, empty dumpster.

"Epson" is now one of my swear words. Calling someone "Epson" is worse than insulting their mother and kicking their dog.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I will NOT buy any printer that uses "Cartridges"

the ET-2550 is an Eco-Tank printer, ink is in a bottle and you pour it in a tank, and it lasts almost a year for normal printing.
each bottle is about $11.00 and you only need to refill the one tank that is out of ink, not a damn cartridge that hold all 4 colors...

ours has been very good and reliable, other than when a power blip comes by, it looses all of its' settings, which is a major PITA, plumb stupid that they did not keep the settings in non-volatile RAM.

that is the only reason it needs maintenance.

Considering that one is 4+ years old, this one time cleaning exercise will be the one and only time it gets done.

next time something goes awry, it will be replaced with a new printer that honors its' settings.... "hopefully".

the damn things need to have a UPS power supply on them but every UPS that I have seen, specifically states "do not use with a printer".
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:22 pm I will NOT buy any printer that uses "Cartridges"...
The only printer I will buy is one that does use cartridges...toner cartridges, that is. You couldn't give me an inkjet--any inkjet-- for anything other than target practice. Laser printers are the only ones I will ever have. They cost more upfront but, in the long run, they are far more reliable and cost far less overall.

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:22 pm ...the damn things need to have a UPS power supply on them but every UPS that I have seen, specifically states "do not use with a printer".
The reason for that is printers draw a lot of power that can overwhelm a UPS. I would think if you could get a large enough dedicated UPS for a printer, it work OK.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I must admit that I am fond of HP Printer/Scanners since they are found on literally every system I own, including the Linux systems with no issues. They are pretty darn amazing, but the constant feeding of ink does suck.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I already have two Laser Printers, don't need another one.

the damn toner cartridges cost more than a new printer, that is why I have TWO of the damn things.

we HAVE TO HAVE COLOR,
my daughters job in Graphics is creating custom color decals, postcards, etc....

and for that, I will never, ever, buy a printer that jams all 4 colors into one cartridge.
piss on that.

and yes, the black laser printer can sit for two years w/o ever being used, and when it is turned ON, it works the first time out of the chute.

No alignment problems ever, it is now almost 10 years old and still works just fine, "thank you ma'am; just the facts ma'am"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:04 pm I already have two Laser Printers, don't need another one.

the damn toner cartridges cost more than a new printer, that is why I have TWO of the damn things.

we HAVE TO HAVE COLOR,
my daughters job in Graphics is creating custom color decals, postcards, etc....

and for that, I will never, ever, buy a printer that jams all 4 colors into one cartridge.
piss on that.

and yes, the black laser printer can sit for two years w/o ever being used, and when it is turned ON, it works the first time out of the chute.

No alignment problems ever, it is now almost 10 years old and still works just fine, "thank you ma'am; just the facts ma'am"
Yep you have a point.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm Men have only two advantages over women--more average body strength and the ability to make sperm--and one disadvantage: too much testosterone.
not much use in sperm if there were no eggs, lol
.. and too much female hormones can be pretty interesting at times too, so I'd guess we'd pretty much equal :mrgreen:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, surgery in two weeks. The meniscus is almost destroyed, the Doc was talking about a potential partial knee replacement, and I said lets do the less horrible option first please. So I will be home bored to tears after surgery. At least I have tech support, netflix, and caffeine.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My daughter's laptop which was not working on the school ethernet connection is now working again, I never could find what was wrong, and she will not admit to me that she had put it in Airplane mode, so chalk this one up to a win.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, I am waiting for the pre-op tests. I wish I could have had it done this friday since the pain is really getting worse. The worst part is it is making me "snappy" and grumpy. Plus I loathe taking pills. I am using a brace now, but it doesn't make a massive difference. Oh well, enough of my doom and gloom.

The youngest called that she is having "issues" with her iPhone. She told me that it is dropping calls, and her battery life is not lasting as long as it has before. I told her that she had the LAST phone I will ever get her (she reminded me SHE paid for this one). But I did tell her that I would pay for the battery replacement if she needed one. She told me that she has AppleCare and it is still under warranty till the end of the month. She is going to call Apple and see if they can remote in, and check to see if she needs a new battery. They did that on her iPhone 7 (one of the three she went through, all with defects!). A new battery is $60 or so dollars. The budget will handle that.

We made a discovery on the oldest's laptop that I got her back in 2016 when she went off to University (for less than a year), her HP Spectre x360 which was the model with the 1440 screen, does NOT have a USB-C port, it does have a mini-display port. So I tried the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter I have for the mac just to see if it would connect her laptop to the home ethernet. No joy. This HP has worked really, really well for her, and is still ticking along (thank goodness!). All we have had to do is put a new battery in it about a year ago. The HP Spectres have made a believer of me for build quality, and long life spans. Since she is back in school for Radiology tech, she is using her laptop again for Zoom classes. She plays games on the desktop I built for them, so the laptop does not get as much of a work out as it did in the past.

As a bonus both girls (for the most part, aside from eating donuts over my Lemur keyboard), take good care of their laptops since they know I cannot replace them (nor will I, they can purchase their own from here on out). The Spouse-Unit on the other hand.... I have to keep telling her to use the laptop desk and stop putting her laptop on the fuzzy blanket she is killing her air flow. She ignores me.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

those fuzzy blankets will overheat a laptop in 5 minutes time
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:13 pm those fuzzy blankets will overheat a laptop in 5 minutes time
No kidding. They are the worst.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Got a call yesterday from the youngest she was appalled at the price of stamps. She is now having to buy things and is getting a rude shock on how much things cost. Then she was fussing that the Post Office had not delivered her mail, and she was expecting it. Then I got The Call:

Daughter: "DADDY! The world is crashing! Life is over! I misread my time, and MISSED MY CLASS!!!!! I AM DOOMED!!! OMG!!! [insert lots of tears and upset here] (she is very dedicated)

Me: Ok, so you missed a class, I missed several when I was there because I was too hung over/played D&D all night long.

Daughter: I am a horrible kid, I am a failure WAAAAA!

Me: Go speak with your Professor, remember if you talk to them they understand.

Daughter: OK BUT I AM DOOMED! I HAVE DISAPPOINTED YOU! [Insert more tears]

Me: Just speak with the professor. Is this the one that wants to be called They/Them Xir/Xie?

Her: No that is the Government prof. This one is sort of cool, but too busy to deal with us since she is getting her Ph.D in Houston and is always gone.

Me: Just go speak with her, and explain what happened.

Daughter: Ok [insert sniffles]

Later she called and said that she caught up with her prof and she was utterly cool, and even gave her the power point, and told her to email her if she had any problems. She was much better. I told her that she should always remember that if you speak with your professors then most of the time they will help you. Also I reminded her "Your feelings don't matter, only results" and we had a good laugh (my dad told me that regularly). Then she started complaining about her room-mates (they are slobs, never clean up the kitchen area or vacuum the common room, and stay up till all hours making noise).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I wish my professors had been that cool waaaay back when I was in college in Abilene. There were some good ones but many were lazy jerks, treated students like kindergartners, and were some of the biggest bigots I ever saw including administration (and this was a Christian college).

The dorms were different; you only got one roommate and the rooms were just bedrooms; not kitchen and just a small common room with a few couches and a small TV. One roommate was a slob and another one liked to have buddies over until late at night even though I had to get up early and go to work before classes (Mama and Daddy didn't have a realistic idea of how much spending money I would need so I got a job).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 am I wish my professors had been that cool waaaay back when I was in college in Abilene. There were some good ones but many were lazy jerks, treated students like kindergartners, and were some of the biggest bigots I ever saw including administration (and this was a Christian college).

The dorms were different; you only got one roommate and the rooms were just bedrooms; not kitchen and just a small common room with a few couches and a small TV. One roommate was a slob and another one liked to have buddies over until late at night even though I had to get up early and go to work before classes (Mama and Daddy didn't have a realistic idea of how much spending money I would need so I got a job).
She is still mad about the stamps. She told me that she has not been a rebel today, she made it to class on time. The Chi Omega bill is due, so we have to pay their Danegeld.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:20 pm ...She is still mad about the stamps. She told me that she has not been a rebel today, she made it to class on time. The Chi Omega bill is due, so we have to pay their Danegeld.
I have no idea how much stamps cost now. I bought a bunch of Forever Stamps several years ago (I don't even remember what I paid back then) and still have most of them since I rarely use stamps anymore.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:35 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:20 pm ...She is still mad about the stamps. She told me that she has not been a rebel today, she made it to class on time. The Chi Omega bill is due, so we have to pay their Danegeld.
I have no idea how much stamps cost now. I bought a bunch of Forever Stamps several years ago (I don't even remember what I paid back then) and still have most of them since I rarely use stamps anymore.
Two books were $23
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:39 pm
Two books were $23
Youch! :shock:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Two books were $23
Yes. She was SHOCKED! SHOCKED I tell you! She is also learning how much things cost in the "real" world where Mommy and Daddy don't pay for it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:38 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Two books were $23
Yes. She was SHOCKED! SHOCKED I tell you! She is also learning how much things cost in the "real" world where Mommy and Daddy don't pay for it.
She is going to shocked even more when Screwy Louie raises the cost even more and deliberately slows down first class mail even more than he already has starting October 1st.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”