Rant:Being condescending to someone is a pretty bad habit

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Rant:Being condescending to someone is a pretty bad habit

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:20 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:43 am Yep, 100%, that attitude ran me off from Linux for about 15+ years.
I'll take an opposing view. I put a lot of effort into the user guide for foxclone, so when someone asks a question and it's in the guide...
Andy, you are a Rarity in the world of Linux....

the aforementioned 15+ years, is exactly why I did not switch over back around 1993ish, when I was really, and I mean really pissed at Microsoft, I wanted away from the Blue Screens of Death, and their insistence on knowing your birth mother. Plus the Software available in Linux simply STANK and the terms used to decribe the apps were really meaningless, none of them used Every Day names so you could know in Advance what an app might do, just by looking at the Install filename.

I looked at every Distro made then, and looked for Help for each Distro, and was treated like a Maggot you imbecile, how dare you ask such a STUPID question

All of that turned me OFF to Linux big time, plus my Day Job was supporting Windows.... :twisted:

So, it was not until after I retired +5 years, that I decided "enough is enough" and dived in with 17.3 Cinnamon and never looked back.

thank you Clem, for erasing the horrible corrosion that controlled Linux back then.... Mint is terrific.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

re: RTFM

@Portreve
The LMF was the deciding factor when I was looking for a Linux distribution. I find it is one of the most newbie-friendly forums, Linux or otherwise. About the only time I notice any hint of condescension is in topics that have been discussed numerous times or when the OP does not follow instructions. Even obvious trolls get the benefit of the doubt ... at first.

@MurphCID
I find most Linux forums treat new uses with lenience and understanding. Some (Gentoo and Slackware come to mind) are less tolerant, but I can understand that - those distros really aren't designed for newbies in mind.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:56 am re: RTFM

@Portreve
The LMF was the deciding factor when I was looking for a Linux distribution. I find it is one of the most newbie-friendly forums, Linux or otherwise. About the only time I notice any hint of condescension is in topics that have been discussed numerous times or when the OP does not follow instructions. Even obvious trolls get the benefit of the doubt ... at first.

@MurphCID
I find most Linux forums treat new uses with lenience and understanding. Some (Gentoo and Slackware come to mind) are less tolerant, but I can understand that - those distros really aren't designed for newbies in mind.
I agree "MOST", not all, I have had recent experience with that as has Lady Fitzgerald. I have not been to the Gentoo or Slackware forums, because I have never even gotten close to having Slackware load on my old Darter Pro experimental machine so I cannot address that forum.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

After I found MINT,

no other "distro" exists in this world :mrgreen:

I quit looking, how can you improve on Excellence? :wink:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

After taking a linux course at the local community college in 2010 where we were taught using SuSe I switched to Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forum back then was not very friendly. The killer for me was being warned not to refer to Windows as Windows. It seemed it was OK to make disparaging comments about Windows, at least for some posters, but others were held to a higher standard . . . . . which could lead to speculation but I won't go there. Anyway a bank IT security guy I just happened to meet at a wedding reception of all places suggested Mint (~13 maybe) which has been my goto ever since although I have dabbled a bit with Bodhi for under resourced systems and lately have been looking hard at a Debian based Cinnamon built from the ground up on a netinstl .iso.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

At the risk of derailing this thread...

The earliest of my forrays into Linux were RedHat (my absolute first), Yellow Dog (because it was a PPC port and I wanted to try it on my PowerMac G3 Desktop), and others I can't really remember at the moment. Eventually, I got to try Fedora Core 1.0, and I could see that, even though it still wasn't really a viable option for me personally, the community certainly was making strides in the right direction.

I hadn't really engaged with the Linux community at that point, so I never had to deal with the RTFM thing. And also back then, I was still very much a hard core Apple supporter and hard core Mac user, and so as someone who was already at the expert end of the spectrum, I don't think I would have run afoul of that anyhow.

I've now been on several different forums, Linux related and not, and I truly think of LMF as home, and many of you as a kind of virtual family.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:24 am I would take the original post more seriously if the OP had a few more posts to their name, i.e. a demonstrated track record in helping others out on the forum. Then they might have an understanding of the frustrations in trying to help others with problems... the number of XY problems we get, the failure to provide info when asked, the seemingly willful inability to understand what they are being told, newbies about to do stupid things, newbies convinced that black is white and on rare occasions, abuse. This is not everyday, but there are enough of them. Instead of complaining, pitch in and help - use your linux knowledge for the benefit of others.
But the thing is, the problem that i discussed here is not related to linux help, it is related to those people who don't really help those needing help, but comment on the help thread for reasons that i can only think is to increase the post count, which leads me to the fallacious line of though on "I would take the original post more seriously if the OP had a few more posts to their name,"
See, i don't have a high post count here, but what about other forums? other platforms like askubuntu, or reddit? or even discord servers about linux, this fallacy is called "hasty generalization", in this case i don't have a huge post count here, hence the generalization that i don't have a track record in helping others.
The big issue is, the post count don't make a proposition false, so personally i don't see fit to take someone more or less seriously utilizing that criteria, but anyway, you do you.
BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:56 am re: RTFM

@Portreve

@MurphCID
While i fully agree that RTM is critical, sometimes there is some cork that isn't described on a manual, because usually the symptom manifestate in a certain place, but the cause really isn't that. for example an really old acer laptop would go to stand-by mode, so reading the manuals related to ACPI stuff on linux made me set noacpi(i think so, t has been a good while), but then no network card would work, yet on Windows XP or 7 everything would work perfectly, and a BIOS update fixed it, so i used debian on that netbook for a good while without having any issues, and to this day when i go to some jobs that would require me to access some database, or ssh into a server but it in a place known to have high rates of robberies, this way i dont have to take my main laptop there.
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
initrd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by initrd »

The Linux Mint Discord, Forums, IRC and such are quite good examples of how helping and receiving help should be.
Obviously you always get elitists, trolls and other unwanted users; but I and everyone on their respective teams do try their best to keep their places as clean as possible.
And while your post(s) do have merit, I don't think you should uphold other places not connected to the Mint environment to our standards.
We try to be the change you want it to be, but without users like yourself that won't be possible.
I found here on this bulletin board(if my memory is not failing) people asking how to install XP like themes and being discouraged to do it because they were too new, instead of being told to backup stuff and try following some guidelines or tutorials, or try it on a system that you don't care about(for example a virtual machine), and on my humble opinion this is off-putting to these people say the least.
When a new user asks about something that experienced users know is a bad idea it is generally discouraged, ways to discourage may vary from good to bad, but when experienced users feel that the choice is bad they will say something about it.
Now i'm talking about my personal experience, give me a gentoo image, and a computer with a freshly wiped disk and i will end up not being able to install it, sure i can follow some guides but dominating and understanding what is being done will be a different story at least for the time being, i'm sure that will the right amount of study and research i will be able to fully set-up a gentoo system from the ground up, maybe i'm imagining that installing gentoo is complex and stuff because i have been told so.
Gentoo is after LFS the most complicated distribution to install.
Past experiences with Linux is generally advised.
Users might not want to help completely new people because they would have to explain massive amounts of guides just to be able to teach you how to do a few steps.
Now on Arch(i don't use arch btw) i tried, bonked my head, thought about the issues, researched, figured it out, and sure i can install it and set it up(on the worst case i will install tmux and lynx and follow some arch wiki article to help me)
Why i don't use arch(btw)? too much manual set-up with a distro that i'm not that used to.
Arch Linux did receive an installer option recently, which might be worth checking out.
That said, the Arch community can be a real hit or miss in terms of support issues.
Now give me debian, and i can set up whatever you want, reasonably quick, and reasonably secure(secure enough to not be affected by the usual automated stuff and script kiddies).
And yet here i have been told that i have no skill to replace a display manager and a desktop environment, by someone who don't really know who am i,what is my knowledge limited of.
This does not seem like a huge issue on its own because Debian/Ubuntu/Mint users are generally open and welcoming to people like yourself to experiment and/or need guidance. In this specific case you just ask another person.
Well mates, there is this magical thing called "ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION", or just asking, instead jumping to conclusion, imagine this scenario:
"Hey mate, have you ever set-up a display manager, a window manager or a desktop environment?"
"Hey mate, are you familiar with doing stuff by command lines?"
"Have you tried to do this or that?"
Depending on the distribution there will always be cases where other users assume skill levels, this is not a specific attack against you, but more the vast amount of help people have to provide. You can also try to do it from the other side and elaborate your support request as much as possible, small talk and such is not really something people enjoy when helping people one after another.
I know that people(including me) get lazy and don't do any research before asking something, but even on these cases, don't jump to conclusions, don't leave unnecessary messages, if you are not in the mood to help, just don't bother, you are not being forced to meet a comment quota that if you fail to reach someone will rm -rf /*(for those who don't know, doing this with superuser privileges will erase whatever it can from your root filesystem in a recursive way) your filesystems.
While mean comments are obviously mean, you cannot expect people to help you out if you are not willing to learn and/or pay attention either.
Support requests have 2 or more parties after all.

Please do note that if you encounter unwanted elitism and/or malicious behaviour on our platforms that you are always welcome to speak up and are able to mail the respective teams about it.
While not every decision might go exactly the way you want it to, if the issues you report are fair and in line of actually improving said communities you can be sure that actions will be taken.
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

well i got initrd to answer the thread, i hope that grub2 can answer too :lol:
When a new user asks about something that experienced users know is a bad idea it is generally discouraged, ways to discourage may vary from good to bad, but when experienced users feel that the choice is bad they will say something about it.
*morpheus scene of "what is real" from the movie Matrix cues in*
what is good? define good.
Good is relative, and as far as i know the FOSS philosophy is not about what is good, it is about freedom, instead of discouraging something, it is way better to teach how to do it properly.
Gentoo is after LFS the most complicated distribution to install.
Past experiences with Linux is generally advised.
hence why i mentioned that i'm reading gentoo wiki guides, doing my research, setting up on a VM, and after that i will try on a spare box that i have, but gentoo was mentioned because here on this board i asked about one thing just to see if someone knew some quirk, and that was a huge mistake, while most people were nice, one or two user started to treat me like i knew nothing, they didn't knew me, they just saw a low post count on my profile and jumped to conclusion, so i made some videos with my debian and dwm setup(that is currently on the spare box that i mentioned above) that i had set up from the ground up just to show to these people that i have a little bit of knowledge of what i'm doing, even xenopeek removed the posts of those people because they were a bit unfriendly.
let me give an example
when you install packaged openbox on Arch a little bit more bare than the one on debian 11 repo.
another example is that on Debian 9, KDE Plasma had a weird bug that bothered me a little bit(it didn't made it unusable but a little bit annoying), but considering that the version packaged on mint(which is the packaged version of ubuntu) maybe it would be a different experience, but after doing it on a VM it looked like it would work fine, and it did work, but the thing is on a VM some features don't played nice with me (KWin would crash if i had transparency and blur effects), things that at least for me, never happened on a real machine.
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _

Return to “Open Chat”