The Eternal Battle Noobs vs Power Users...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: The Eternal Battle Noobs vs Power Users...

Post by Schultz »

I'm somewhere in between a noob and a power user, and I suspect a lot of the old timers here are as well.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Schultz wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:10 pm I'm somewhere in between a noob and a power user, and I suspect a lot of the old timers here are as well.
We have some people here who are amazing and I consider them both Guru's and Power Users. I am in awe of them.
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

I am a Noob to Linux and I am sure its the same questions being asked over and over again but we all had to learn somewhere. I remember the days of old windows with c prompt and dir but I always hated programming. Its much easier today with the internet and forums.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

markz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:44 am I am a Noob to Linux and I am sure its the same questions being asked over and over again but we all had to learn somewhere. I remember the days of old windows with c prompt and dir but I always hated programming. Its much easier today with the internet and forums.
I cannot disagree. I remember DOS 1.1/2.0 and having NO ONE to teach me anything, but back then snail mail took a couple of weeks to go from Germany (where I was stationed) back to my "computer buddy" with questions, so I had to learn things from the books that came with the DOS disks, and the IBM PC jr manual.
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

Yup the audible modems taking forever to load anything. I remember downloading a single sound... now you can download entire albums and entire discographies.
When I walked through the mall today, there were some music stores selling toys and albums so people still buy albums.

I worded it wrong it was hard to learn back then but now its easier to learn because of forums like this. I just hated trying to learn the c prompt commands, having cases of little plastic discs and yes I do remember the bigger plastic floppies.

I was just sick and tired of Windows 10 but I think I have to have a hard drive with Windows 10 to get itunes to transfer tunes onto my ipod. I dont mind doing that.
I tried PLayOnLinux and got to trying to find the itunes file on my pc.
I will end up with 3 hard drives I will physically unplug and plug in, but I can try virtual machine for windows steam games (I do have the w10 bootable iso) which if successful I can go down to 2 hard drives, one for main computer use which will be Linux Mint on a ssd, then the older 7200rpm hard drive with windows 10 for downloading tunes.
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:17 am
markz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:44 am I am a Noob to Linux and I am sure its the same questions being asked over and over again but we all had to learn somewhere. I remember the days of old windows with c prompt and dir but I always hated programming. Its much easier today with the internet and forums.
I cannot disagree. I remember DOS 1.1/2.0 and having NO ONE to teach me anything, but back then snail mail took a couple of weeks to go from Germany (where I was stationed) back to my "computer buddy" with questions, so I had to learn things from the books that came with the DOS disks, and the IBM PC jr manual.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Can we just take a moment to appreciate.... needing to use windows to run mac software because linux can't.....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 am Can we just take a moment to appreciate.... needing to use windows to run mac software because linux can't.....
One of the curses of my life with Linux. Why, oh why, does Apple not make an iTunes for Linux? I need one! Also I remember adding to Config.sys in the old days a script that ran when you booted up that popped an error message, and said that water was in the hard drive, and you needed to drain the water. It then had draining and spin sounds. Freaked people out. It was funny. At least I think I put it in Config.sys, but it was a LONG time ago.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

autoexec.bat
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:22 am .... Why, oh why, does Apple not make an iTunes for Linux?...
Because Apple have zero interest in supporting Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

.... Why, oh why, does Apple not make an iTunes for Linux?...

But yet, they use the Linux kernel...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

fstjohn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:24 pm

DO they? That is interesting, I thought they used a BSD system as a base?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:52 am autoexec.bat
Thank you, like I said it has been a while, a long while.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/ ... tricks.php
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:54 am
DO they? That is interesting, I thought they used a BSD system as a base?
I stand corrected. You are quite correct. :oops:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

No they don't. They started with the Mach kernel, which they used on the Apple Next computers, largely forgotten. However it is another Unix compatible kernel like Linux.

It wouldn't make a difference anyway, Apple OS is a highly proprietary wrapper around a Linux-like kernel. Much like Android, which uses their own patched version of a Gentoo kernel build. ANd you can't just trivially run Android software on Mint, can you?

Mint is GNU/Linux, in which the wrapper is open source. That doesn't make it Apple OS.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 am

No they don't. They started with the Mach kernel, which they used on the Apple Next computers, largely forgotten. However it is another Unix compatible kernel like Linux.

It wouldn't make a difference anyway, Apple OS is a highly proprietary wrapper around a Linux-like kernel. Much like Android, which uses their own patched version of a Gentoo kernel build. ANd you can't just trivially run Android software on Mint, can you?

Mint is GNU/Linux, in which the wrapper is open source. That doesn't make it Apple OS.
No, not at all. But I sure would like a native iTunes flatpak on Linux. That might be enough to make me switch on my desktop machine.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am ... I sure would like a native iTunes flatpak on Linux. That might be enough to make me switch on my desktop machine.
You're hardly alone in that but I've been seeing these complaints for a decade and Apple doesn't show any more interest in GNU/Linux now than they ever did.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am ... I sure would like a native iTunes flatpak on Linux. That might be enough to make me switch on my desktop machine.
You're hardly alone in that but I've been seeing these complaints for a decade and Apple doesn't show any more interest in GNU/Linux now than they ever did.
No Apple is their own evil empire....
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I did the All-In-One Linux+ Certification book's Linux pre-test.

According to the results, it's possible I don't even know what a keyboard is, much less an actual computer.

:lol:

Seriously though, it does show the tip of the what-there-is-to-learn iceberg for Linux. I can't wait!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:14 pm I did the All-In-One Linux+ Certification book's Linux pre-test.

According to the results, it's possible I don't even know what a keyboard is, much less an actual computer.

Seriously though, it does show the tip of the what-there-is-to-learn iceberg for Linux. I can't wait!
I might have to try that, although with my level of knowledge, it will probably tell me to take the book back and get a refund. :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 am
Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:14 pm I did the All-In-One Linux+ Certification book's Linux pre-test.

I might have to try that, although with my level of knowledge, it will probably tell me to take the book back and get a refund. :)
You think you're bad? They probably wouldn't even let me buy it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”