Microsoft Windows does have a CLI (sort of)

Chat about just about anything else
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Microsoft Windows does have a CLI (sort of)

Post by MurphCID »

Powershell run in admin more. I just used the command winget upgrade --all to update all of my non-microsoft (and some microsquish) apps like LibreOffice to the latest version. Linux Terminal is much better at updating software, but at least this is there. How limited is it? Who knows, Microsquish could kill this tomorrow. I wonder if Powershell really is WSL incognito?
Hoser Rob
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Microsoft Windows does have a CLI (sort of)

Post by Hoser Rob »

AFAIK WIndows has always had a terminal.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:16 am
AFAIK WIndows has always had a terminal.
They have, but they seem to be trying with Powershell to make it a little more useful, and/or closer to the Linux terminal. I was playing around with it yesterday using it to update non-microsoft and microsoft apps. Not as fast or elegant as BASH, but acceptable.
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

even powershell is no great revelation. XP, Win7 era
Everything is difficult before it gets easy.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

all41 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 am
I never said it was a GOOD one, I just discovered it, and that you could do things with it, although not as nice as the Linux terminal.
cfb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cfb »

I have been using PowerShell (on Windows) extensively at work for at least 10 years, and in my opinion it is a very good command line shell and scripting language. It has a very extensive collection of cmdlets, that lets you do all sorts of things. A large number of additional modules (Microsoft and third-party) are available that extents what you can do.

Read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell

PowerShell is open-source and you can install it on Linux and macOS.

This is not from a Windows fanboy. I have been running Linux since 1998 and do not have Windows installed on any of my computers, not even in a VM.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

cfb wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:31 am
I have been using PowerShell (on Windows) extensively at work for at least 10 years, and in my opinion it is a very good command line shell and scripting language. It has a very extensive collection of cmdlets, that lets you do all sorts of things. A large number of additional modules (Microsoft and third-party) are available that extents what you can do.

Read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell

PowerShell is open-source and you can install it on Linux and macOS.

This is not from a Windows fanboy. I have been running Linux since 1998 and do not have Windows installed on any of my computers, not even in a VM.
Interesting. I just discovered it, and have been playing around with it some. I keep a Windows desktop since Linux gaming is terrible, no iTunes (for my music), and Photoshop (GIMP is nowhere even close).
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

MurphCID wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:39 am
Interesting. I just discovered it, and have been playing around with it some. I keep a Windows desktop since Linux gaming is terrible, no iTunes (for my music), and Photoshop (GIMP is nowhere even close).
There is very true.
When I had to ditch my last remaining installation of Windows 7 (because it became out of control and "destructive"), I also had to quit my phtotography hobby. I cannot produce an acceptable processed RAW image using any of the Linux RAW image apps. The RAW image software that came with my camera had gotten me spoiled with its ease of use, and it only comes in Windows version. Having to switch to GIMP from Photoshop also made it worse.

When it comes to the Windows CMD window (terminal screen), I always use it for PING and CHKDSK commands.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

MurphCID wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:56 am
all41 wrote:
I never said it was a GOOD one, I just discovered it, and that you could do things with it, although not as nice as the Linux terminal.
Actually it is a good one. Hang in there.
You will find few users that disagree
Everything is difficult before it gets easy.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

Gets the job done. Also very good to use for writing automation scripts. My only gripe, which is minor, is how descriptive the commands are as compared to a Unix shell. I guess I am more used to, and prefer, shorter commands.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

all41 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 am
MurphCID wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:56 am
all41 wrote:
Actually it is a good one. Hang in there.
You will find few users that disagree
I will keep playing with it. It has been so long since i used Windows DOS commands, I am very rusty.
Aughey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aughey »

I used to have an Amiga A1200 it had a CLI. Brilliant machine!
MikeNovember
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Windows has two kinds of CLI:

- Windows console, heir of MS-DOS one, with "batch" programming language; it is already very powerful, and is POSIX compatible.

- Powershell, more oriented to Windows management; very powerful, very dangerous, probably less secure than batch language.

You can have access to Linux CLI with WSL or WSL2 in Pro versions of Windows 10 / Windows 11; once you have installed a distro from Windows app store; Ubuntu is available.

You can also have access to Linux CLI by adding things like MingW32 or cygwin.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Open Chat”