Custom SSD Dock Build (Success! sorta)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation (why). Please do not post support questions here. Before you post please read forum rules
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Custom SSD Dock Build (Success! sorta)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

vansloneker wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:38 am
Thanks for your extensive reply!

One more question, does it give an error when you try to trim an external SSD in a USB case that does not support it?
The dock itself accepts only bare 2.5" drives (I've only tested it with SSDs since I haven't used HDDs in years) so I can't connect an SSD in an enclosure to it (nor would I want to; besides, even if it wasn't physically impossible with my dock, it would be silly to connect an enclosure to it). Also, keep in mind this dock has two parts--the stack (or sandwich) of truncated enclosures and the Thunderbolt hub--that are kept connected together at all times on top of my desk (disconnecting and reconnecting the two parts is too much of a hassle so I consider them to be permanently connected).

The Thunderbolt hub part of the dock is another story. With the dock attached to the hub, the only ports still available are three additional Thunderbolt ports on the back of the hub. I don't know if they can be used as USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports or not. Even if they could be, I wouldn't be able to get at them without a lot of hassle and tying up far too much space on the top of my desk and the whole point of the dock I built is to be as hassle free as possible and take up as little space as possible.

Then there is the matter of bandwidth. While the thunderbolt hub is rated for Thunderbolt 4 (and is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3), I'm feeding it from a Thunderbolt 3 port on my laptop. That limits me to only up to 20gbps of bandwidth. With four SSDs plugged into the dock, I could be consuming 5Gbps bandwidth per SSD which would max out the available bandwidth. Adding anything more would probably slow everything down.

Now, if I took leave of my senses :wink: and connected an SSD in a non-TRIM compatible enclosure directly to the Thunderbolt hub and ran the TRIM command, I would either get an error message or it just wouldn't show up as being TRIMmed (it's been long enough since I tried running TRIM on an SSD in a non-TRIM compatible enclosure, I just don't remember which; of course, with my ADHD, that could have been yesterday :roll: ). I only have TRIM compatible enclosures.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

MurphCID wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:46 am
At least it IS working, and now the tweaking begins.
What tweaking? I'm perfectly happy with how it works on LT1, my daily driver, now that I've worked out the proper procedures for using it.

There is that "annoying" little issue of it not working with the other two laptops but I suspect that may be a driver issue or broken Thunderbolt ports. It's a bridge to be crossed later since it probably will involve putting them in a repair shop.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
rossdv8
Level 6
Level 6
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I would just like to thank you Jeannie because your post encouraged me to get off my fat behind and building a set of 3 x 5 bay stands for ordinary spinny external drives connected to 2 x 8 port powered hubs - and 1 x 7 bay stand for external SSDs.

The hubs can plug into whichever computer I want them in, although at the moment I have one hub plugged into the BRIX (for video media and Audio books etc) and another plugged into the Lenovo (for general work and my Library).

Now I just need to get hold of another 8 port powered hub for the SSDs, but they are not available in this country at the moment, so I'll have to ship one in from overseas, so there goes another $70 :-(

My arrangement might not be as pretty as yours, nor as flexible, but wow! The drives are all lined up in a row and I can actually just press buttons to switch in whichever drives I want.
I'm a Happy Little Vegemite . . .
Current main OS: MInt 21 'Vanessa' Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM.
You can get by on Charm for about 15 minutes
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

rossdv8 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:27 am
I would just like to thank you Jeannie because your post encouraged me to get off my fat behind and building a set of 3 x 5 bay stands for ordinary spinny external drives connected to 2 x 8 port powered hubs - and 1 x 7 bay stand for external SSDs.

The hubs can plug into whichever computer I want them in, although at the moment I have one hub plugged into the BRIX (for video media and Audio books etc) and another plugged into the Lenovo (for general work and my Library).

Now I just need to get hold of another 8 port powered hub for the SSDs, but they are not available in this country at the moment, so I'll have to ship one in from overseas, so there goes another $70 :-(

My arrangement might not be as pretty as yours, nor as flexible, but wow! The drives are all lined up in a row and I can actually just press buttons to switch in whichever drives I want.
I'm a Happy Little Vegemite . . .
If you need need a dock for 3.5" HDDs, many companies already make them, Sabrent being one of them (sabrent.com/collections/docking-station) as well as other companies (Amazon may be a good source to search). If you can find one that meets your needs, it could save you the hassle and expense of "reinventing the wheel".

Sabrent also has a four port and five port dock designed for SSDs. The problems I had with them were they were taller than I liked amnd ate up a little more desk real estate than I liked but the real deal breaker for me was all the drives had to share a single USB 3.0 (5Gbps) connection. If four SSDs were being read or written to simultaneously, they would be throttled down to 1/4 the maximum speed they would be capable of only one was using that USB 3.0 port they were connected to. Also, I don't know if the SSD docks are TRIM compatible.

If you do decide to tackle what you have in mind, have fun and may your endeavors go even more smoothly than mine did.

Coincidentally, I couldn't sleep so I just started making my weekly Timeshift images--one saved to a data drive in my laptop and one saved to a data drive backup drive in the dock. When that's done, I'll be TRIMming all the drives in the computer and the four backup drives in the dock.
Jeannie

rossdv8
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rossdv8 »

Thanks Jeannie.
I cheated 'a lot'. I think I mentioned previously I 3D printed the three 5-bay racks, and the one (so far) seven bay rack.
They're not really racks as such - perhaps 'holders' is a better name, because the drives drop in vertically and stand on end.
Anyway, they sit in a 2 foot long row, and the spinny drive holders are 5 inches from to back, while the seven bay SSD rack is 3 inches front to back.
damn! I suppose I should explain what feet and inches are . . .

Anyway, the USB cables all come out of what is now the 'Top' of each drive and go to the appropriate Powered USB 3 Hub for each computer.
So whilst I took inspiration from your project, the 3D printer and already having one powered switchable hub decided the method and design for me.
I suppose I could say I was lazy. But since I'm stuck with a cheapo 3D printer I never planned to have - I may as well get some useful stuff out of it.

It was not long ago I was taking crates of 8". 5.25". and 3.5" floppies to the dump, as well as a heap of Zip disks and the drives for them. Add to that cassette tapes with software I wrote for finance companies and car dealerships in the 70s.
Living in the tropics, all the magnetic media had grown a sort of mildew that grew roots wight down through the oxide layer to the substrate.

Now just one of these new USB drives holds more than all those crates of disks !

Anyway, it was fun, and had i not read your post I would still be 'gunna do' it.
Current main OS: MInt 21 'Vanessa' Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM.
vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vansloneker »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:28 pm
vansloneker wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:38 am
Thanks for your extensive reply!

One more question, does it give an error when you try to trim an external SSD in a USB case that does not support it?
The dock itself accepts only bare 2.5" drives (I've only tested it with SSDs since I haven't used HDDs in years) so I can't connect an SSD in an enclosure to it (nor would I want to; besides, even if it wasn't physically impossible with my dock, it would be silly to connect an enclosure to it). Also, keep in mind this dock has two parts--the stack (or sandwich) of truncated enclosures and the Thunderbolt hub--that are kept connected together at all times on top of my desk (disconnecting and reconnecting the two parts is too much of a hassle so I consider them to be permanently connected).

The Thunderbolt hub part of the dock is another story. With the dock attached to the hub, the only ports still available are three additional Thunderbolt ports on the back of the hub. I don't know if they can be used as USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports or not. Even if they could be, I wouldn't be able to get at them without a lot of hassle and tying up far too much space on the top of my desk and the whole point of the dock I built is to be as hassle free as possible and take up as little space as possible.

Then there is the matter of bandwidth. While the thunderbolt hub is rated for Thunderbolt 4 (and is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3), I'm feeding it from a Thunderbolt 3 port on my laptop. That limits me to only up to 20gbps of bandwidth. With four SSDs plugged into the dock, I could be consuming 5Gbps bandwidth per SSD which would max out the available bandwidth. Adding anything more would probably slow everything down.

Now, if I took leave of my senses :wink: and connected an SSD in a non-TRIM compatible enclosure directly to the Thunderbolt hub and ran the TRIM command, I would either get an error message or it just wouldn't show up as being TRIMmed (it's been long enough since I tried running TRIM on an SSD in a non-TRIM compatible enclosure, I just don't remember which; of course, with my ADHD, that could have been yesterday :roll: ). I only have TRIM compatible enclosures.
Thanks again!
I just trimmed a couple of SSDs in recently purchased USB housings and it seem to have worked.
Unless stated otherwise Mint 20.1-64 XFCE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Custom SSD Dock Build (Success!)

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:16 am
...I replaced the switchable cube tap with another one that has a lighted switch on it to help remind me to turn off the power to the Thunderbolt hub's PSU when I'm not using the dock. I plan on turning the power strip it's plugged into over so I can position the cube tap in a different outlet that won't partially block one of the two remaining outlets. I'll post a before and after picture when I do that.
Will this project never end? Instead of flipping the original four outlet power strip over, I decided to replace it with a six outlet power strip. It's a 15A El Cheapo I caught on sale that has no surge protection (surge protection comes from the whole house surge protection followed by the surge protection in the UPS it will be plugged into).

1.jpg

Same as the old power strip, it will be secured to the side of the night stand with four screws that will go into the four keyholes in the back of the power strip.

2.jpg

The heads of the screws slip through the round part of the keyhole, then are captured by the slot part of the keyhole.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Before installing the new power strip, I need to do a little work on it and the switched cube tap. The cube tap doesn't fit as tightly in the power strip as the plug on the cable that goes to the Thunderbolt hub PSU so, anytime I pull out the plug, the cube tap also pulls out. The cube tap also sags a bit from the sideways pull of the cable. To fix that, I took four of the adhesive dots that came with the ceramic mouse feet I recently installed on many of my computer rodents but didn't use.

4.jpg

I put a dot above each blade of the cube tap and one below each blade alongside the ground pin. I forgot to take a picture of the installed dots (sorry :oops: ) but here is what the cube tap looks like installed on the power strip.

5.jpg

That little sucker isn't going anywhere without a lot of effort, most likely involving a pry bar and a few "words of encouragement".
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

On to the next little problem. The cube tap gets in the way of the plug for the cable going to the laptop's PSU (how rude!).

6.jpg

To fix it, I had to use my bandsaw to remove a sliver of the plastic above the blades of the plug. Here is the before shot...

7.jpg

...and the results of the surgery.

8.jpg

Not the best job I've ever done but no one is ever going to see it when it's plugged in.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

A little trick to simplify laying out the holes for the screws that will secure the power strip to the nightstand is to stick some masking tape to the back of the power strip, trim it to the outline of the power strip, and poke holes in the tape where the screws will go. I used two layers of tape to make sure it didn't stretch when I peeled it off the power strip.

3.jpg

After peeling the tape off of the power strip, I stuck it to the side of the night stand.

10.jpg
The little piece of tape was to show where the top of the tape from the power strip was supposed to go. I used an automatic center punch through the holes in the tape to make little starting holes in the wood where the screws will go. This is how it looks after peeling off the tape and screwing in the screws.

11.jpg

I got lucky and missed that little knot.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

This is where the fun began. I reused the old screws from the old power strip without realizing that the keyholes in the back of the old power strip are larger than the keyholes in the back of the new power strip. The old screw heads fit through the holes in the new power strip...barely. Since the alignment of the four screws wasn't dead nuts perfect, I couldn't get the power strip to go onto all four screws. Once I realized what the problem was, I drilled out the round part of the keyholes on the back of the new power strip by 1/32" to give me a bit more wiggle room, then the power strip fit perfectly. After fiddling around with how far to screw in the screws, the power strip fits tightly over them and that little sucker isn't going anywhere until I want it too. I also did a little bit of cable management and got rid of the now unused cable clips.

This is the completed installation with the night stand pulled out...

12.jpg

...and after I shoved the night stand back to its normal parking place.

13.jpg

The switches are within easy reach of my desk chair and the coiled cables will allow me to pull out the night stand even further than I had while working on this without having to unplug the power cables for the laptop and Thunderbolt hub PSUs mounted to the side of my desk. I also gained a couple more outlets.

I still need to do some cable management at the back of the night stand but that's another project unrelated to the SSD Dock project so it will be a topic for another thread. Also, I've been a little under the weather recently and today's little project took the starch right out of me so that project will have to keep for a while. It's not like it's urgent or anything.
Jeannie

rossdv8
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rossdv8 »

Not the best job I've ever done but no one is ever going to see it when it's plugged in.
Far from the worst job I've ever seen . .
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

rossdv8 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:51 pm
Far from the worst job I've ever seen . .
Thanks!
Jeannie

Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

It is nice to see all your projects, they really inspires me to do some things I have dragged out on for years. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Really nice work Lady Fitzgerald.. keep on going. :mrgreen:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Marie SWE wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm
It is nice to see all your projects, they really inspires me to do some things I have dragged out on for years. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Confession: I also have projects that have dragged on for years. :oops:
Jeannie

Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:38 pm
Marie SWE wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Thanks!

Confession: I also have projects that have dragged on for years. :oops:
I think we all have those. :lol:
I have one project laying on ice since the mid 90's :oops:
But who's in a hurry... They say you should take your time, so you don't rush things and it get a bad outcome. :lol: 26/27years isn't to rush to much huh? :lol:
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Marie SWE wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:04 am
...But who's in a hurry... They say you should take your time, so you don't rush things and it get a bad outcome. :lol: 26/27years isn't to rush to much huh? :lol:
True. However, 28 years would be inexcusable!

:wink:
Jeannie

Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:47 pm
Marie SWE wrote:
...But who's in a hurry... They say you should take your time, so you don't rush things and it get a bad outcome. :lol: 26/27years isn't to rush to much huh? :lol:

Damn :shock: then I have to solve it this year :shock:
oh wait.. if I pretend it is the lower one and 27 was a typo, so then it is 26, and I have one more year to fix it...... nice 8) :mrgreen: :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Marie SWE wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Marie SWE wrote:

oh wait.. if I pretend it is the lower one and 27 was a typo, so then it is 26, and I have one more year to fix it...... nice 8) :mrgreen: :lol:
Nice try. I'm watching you!
Jeannie

Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:21 pm
Marie SWE wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

Nice try. I'm watching you!
oh, look over there.. so nice flowers. :D .................. :shock: (running fast and hiding while you looking at the flowers.) :P

Return to “Open Chat”