Fina's Diner,
good food, and glad I stopped there

LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Fine dining

Post by Schultz »

Being a middle class, at best, American, fine (or good) dining to me are places like Texas Roadhouse (a steakhouse), Olive Garden, Chili's and Denny's (mostly for breakfast). And any Italian mom and pop place run by real Italians.

I guess that some people would say that my palate needs educating. :lol:
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Schultz wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:21 pm
Being a middle class, at best, American, fine (or good) dining to me are places like Texas Roadhouse (a steakhouse), Olive Garden, Chili's and Denny's (mostly for breakfast). And any Italian mom and pop place run by real Italians.

Texas Roadhouse, never had a bad meal there. Olive Garden is predictable fare, and the kids would always eat, so it was good. I 1000% agree on any Italian place run by real Italians. Same with Tex-Mex joints down here. My wife rates them by the quality of the rice, beans, and tortillas. If they also make good menudo, she is all in.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:24 am
Schultz wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:21 pm

Texas Roadhouse, never had a bad meal there. Olive Garden is predictable fare, and the kids would always eat, so it was good. I 1000% agree on any Italian place run by real Italians. Same with Tex-Mex joints down here. My wife rates them by the quality of the rice, beans, and tortillas. If they also make good menudo, she is all in.
I've had good menudo in only one restaurant; someplace in CA around twenty years ago. Everywhere else I've had it, the tripe didn't have the connective tissues removed properly, if at all, it was in enormous chunks instead being cut up bite sized, and was under cooked, leaving it tough to chew. One place even left chunks of hoof in the serving of menudo (the hooves should have been boiled down to stock with the bones and whatever else, then strained out before using the stock in the menudo) . Homemade red menudo is generally the best although Juanita brand canned red menudo is fairly good (it's the only edible stuff around here; I had a small can of it for supper last night).

Around here, the restaurants that do serve menudo (not many do) only serve it on Saturday and Sunday since it is believed to be a hangover cure.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

One lesson my dad taught me well was how to find a great place to eat. Particularly when new to an area like when vacationing far from home. Skip the ads along with any and all flyers that might be in the hotel room.

Instead just drive around a little and observe the parking lots. Good places tend to fill up quickly. Lunch hour being very telling by the presence of parked police and sheriff's cars.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 pm
One lesson my dad taught me well was how to find a great place to eat. Particularly when new to an area like when vacationing far from home. Skip the ads along with any and all flyers that might be in the hotel room.

Instead just drive around a little and observe the parking lots. Good places tend to fill up quickly. Lunch hour being very telling by the presence of parked police and sheriff's cars.
That is very true.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:16 pm
chiefjim wrote:

That is very true.
Not necessarily. I've been to restaurants that were popular, with lines to get in and seated and full parking lots, that just weren't all that great and little hole in the wall ones that were actually pretty good. One downside to popular, busy ones is service may be slower since the staff is often working their tail feathers off to keep up.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:16 pm
chiefjim wrote:

That is very true.
Not necessarily. I've been to restaurants that were popular, with lines to get in and seated and full parking lots, that just weren't all that great and little hole in the wall ones that were actually pretty good. One downside to popular, busy ones is service may be slower since the staff is often working their tail feathers off to keep up.
One of my best friends has the "Converted gas station theory" of Tex-Mex places. His theory is if it is in a converted gas station, run as a Mom and Pop, the food is going to generally be awesome. His corollary to that is the more Yuppie it looks, the worse the food.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

"One of my best friends has the "Converted gas station theory" of Tex-Mex places. His theory is if it is in a converted gas station, run as a Mo"m and Pop, the food is going to generally be awesome. His corollary to that is the more Yuppie it looks, the worse the food.

+1
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Abels Diner in Schertz, TX it is worth the wait for a seat (they only can seat 81 people at a time). Yesterday we waited for 30 minutes, and there were NO complaints. https://www.abelsdiner.com/menu.html
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Muffin Man »

Cagle's Diner Robbins, NC
Cheeseburgers with mustard, slaw, chili, and onions, but everything is great.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:35 am
Abels Diner in Schertz, TX it is worth the wait for a seat (they only can seat 81 people at a time). Yesterday we waited for 30 minutes, and there were NO complaints. https://www.abelsdiner.com/menu.html
Abels is OK but a finer experience can be had at Krause's just up the road.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:26 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:35 am
Abels is OK but a finer experience can be had at Krause's just up the road.
I was very impressed with Krause's when we went there. Great food in New Braunfels. I was very disappointed in MacAdoo's however. Magnolia Pancake House is also pretty darn good.
Arch_Enemy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Arch_Enemy »

There was a restaurant in Northampton MA called "Something" Depot, in the old train station.
It was more higher end dining, without the high prices and snotty service.

The Gas and Go in Williamstown, VT. HUGE BLT grinder, 5 years ago at $5.99

And the old Greasy Spoon on the edge of town in Greenfield, MA run by an older woman from VT.
Real home cooking for a couple of bucks. REALLY long-since gone...college days. Best home fries,
beef stew, and sausage, onion, and pepper grinders, and cheeseburg grinders, too.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
AndyMH
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AndyMH »

As an outsider to this conversation I have to say that the best steak I ever had was in the states. Restaurant in the middle of nowhere half way between Philly and Atlantic City called the Library. Yes, walls covered in books, you could take one home. You went up to the counter, ordered raw - where you want me to cut? The prime rib, I don't have the words.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Food that is fine dining: https://www.cypresscreekinn.com/ They also made Texas Monthly's issue of 40 best small town cafes. The Chicken Fried Steak is about the best I have ever eaten. If you visit tell Ben (the waiter) and Sergio (Owner/Cook) hello!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:52 am
Food that is fine dining: https://www.cypresscreekinn.com/ They also made Texas Monthly's issue of 40 best small town cafes. The Chicken Fried Steak is about the best I have ever eaten. If you visit tell Ben (the waiter) and Sergio (Owner/Cook) hello!
Time for a road trip................................
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:49 am
MurphCID wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:52 am
Time for a road trip................................
It is really worth it.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Took the Spouse-Unit to Tommy's in San Antonio. Again she rates Tex-Mex places by their rice, beans, and tortillas. She rates Tommy's tortillas as close, but not equal to her mom's tortillas. I will agree, they have excellent tortillas. Their green salsa is appropriately tasty, and their potato and chorizo tacos are appropriately greasy and tasty. The right level of flavor and grease. Fine dining!
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

we just had a severe loss here for us.

Our favorite Mexican restaurant has closed for good.
It was started as a mom and pop, and built up a reputation that was unmatched for quality and respect for the true flavors south of the border. It was owned, and operated with family members with a few waiters hired, but not many.

they knew your name and knew your "standard order" when you returned....

Read that to read, "all of the food had the flavors that were true", but did NOT try to burn the ashes out of your tongue.

They supplied Salsa in two small dishes, green and red, or optionally, you could ask them for "the hot stuff"
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop

Return to “Open Chat”