COVID-19 infection: how did your sickness process go?

Chat about just about anything else
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: COVID-19 infection: how did your sickness process go?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:04 am
AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:06 pm
I still can't smell anything, unless it is very strong
Helps me to keep my weight down, though.... Less food temptations. :lol:

Since my COVID-19 infection, I lost almost two kilos of body weight. My BMI dropped from 21.8 to 21.3.
speaking of which,
over the whole ordeal from July 7th this summer until now, I have lost about 20 lbs....
a year ago when my primary doctor got on my case about being preDiabetic and 275 lbs,
I was a SugarHolic.... kept candy by my Recliner and munched on stuff thru the day and night.

today, my glucose has dropped from the middle 100s to 95-105,
and my weight is now 234 lbs..

BMI ? don't know how to figure that.
google to the rescue: BMI is 33.1

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educat ... micalc.htm

BMI stats:
BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I am Obese?

I have not been down in the low 230s for 50 years,
I worked on a farm growing up and did manual labor a lot, 185 as a kid of 16-18,
236 working in the Oil Patch for 40+ years,
then in my late 50s, the waste line got bigger... :mrgreen:
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:45 pm
BMI stats:
BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I am Obese?

I have not been down in the low 230s for 50 years,
I worked on a farm growing up and did manual labor a lot, 185 as a kid of 16-18,
236 working in the Oil Patch for 40+ years,
then in my late 50s, the waste line got bigger... :mrgreen:
Those BMI charts based on height and weight are not always accurate. For years, the employer I now receive my retirement plan from based BMI of those charts to determine if an employee qualified for discount on their insurance premium. According to their *&^%$#@!, I was overweight. I argued that determination every year because I have shorter legs, meaning more body trunk length, making the chart invalid. They wouldn't budge. Then came the year they switched from using that chart to electrically measuring the BMI. All of a sudden, even though my weight hadn't changed from the previous year, I was a lean, mean machine who was well below the upper limit for not being overweight. Their flabbers were gasted by the change but they still wouldn't admit that the charts had been wrong and refund the extra premiums I had paid previously. :roll:
Last edited by Moem on Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trimmed a quote. Please quote selectively. We can all scroll up if we want to re-read.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Ivy_Pool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ivy_Pool »

Hubster and I were vaccinated spring of 2021 at about the same time my state's masking restrictions ended. We have not been boosted and husband's employer never instituted an office mask mandate. DH returned to the office June 2020. How we evaded COVID for so long is remarkable...Anyways, 13 months after our COVID shots, we tested positive after attending a wedding that was out of state (Washington D.C. to be precise). Hubster experienced a mighty case of man flu with fever one day, body aches, and tiredness. My case consisted of an annoying post-nasal drip with a dry cough. I suffer from allergies about 9 months of the year, so COVID felt about the same to me.

My unvaccinated college-aged child tested pos Jan 2021 and had a slightly runny nose. My vaccinated middle schooler was sick Jan 2022 and walked around with a head cold, achy body, and tiredness. Basically, the eldest child experienced the least discomfort. None of us lost our sense of smell or taste. Husband and I are in our 50's.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I tested positive in July 2021 - my dear sweet mother just had to go to an infection event her granddaughter's wedding. It was a huge wedding, 150+ people were invited, and she was mingling with a lot of anti-mask anti-vaxxers for damnear a week. She started coughing couple of days after she returned. She blamed it on allergies, but on Day 4 I did a home test. She popped positive.

The next day I took her to her primary physician for a laboratory test. By then I had developed a slight, non-productive cough, so for grins I got tested, too. We both tested positive.

We both had recieved 4 pokes - me with Pfizer, her with Moderna. She was prescribed a monoclonal antibodies infusion, and she was over it by the next day with only a sore arm to show for it.

I was prescribed Paxlovid, antihistamines, and a fistful of vitamin+mineral supplements (of dubious worth, IMO). Other than the cough, which became more persistent for a few days, I was never sick. Temp remained normal, and I never displayed any of the standard COVID symptoms. Alas, I tested positive for a full two weeks.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:18 pm
Those BMI charts based on height and weight are not always accurate. For years, the employer I now receive my retirement plan from based BMI of those charts to determine if an employee qualified for discount on their insurance premium. According to their *&^%$#@!, I was overweight. I argued that determination every year because I have shorter legs, meaning more body trunk length, making the chart invalid. They wouldn't budge. Then came the year they switched from using that chart to electrically measuring the BMI. All of a sudden, even though my weight hadn't changed from the previous year, I was a lean, mean machine who was well below the upper limit for not being overweight. Their flabbers were gasted by the change but they still wouldn't admit that the charts had been wrong and refund the extra premiums I had paid previously. :roll:
I have no doubt our LMF friends in Germany (to say nothing of my own personal friends in Germany) would be absolutely floored to see how the U.S. medical system (as a whole, but in particular here the insurance end of it) would rather play games with folk than actually care for patients.

Whenever I've talked to my own friends about work life in the U.S. and our medical system, their reactions have all been "But that would be illegal here!" and so it usually goes.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

A full two weeks after first symptoms, and finally my smell and taste are returning.... Not quite back to normal, but largely so. Makes eating considerably less boring. :mrgreen:

My throat is still a bit raw. Also my energy level still isn't quite 100 % of what it should be.

All around me, people are either having COVID or recovering from it. Nobody is or was seriously ill, thankfully. The pandemic is back alright. Nobody will escape this time, I think.

The current Omikron variety is nowhere as grave as the first varieties, but the illness is still far from pleasant to have. No need to be scared of it anymore, but don't forget to take your daily dose of vitamin D3, folks. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:42 pm
A full two weeks after first symptoms, and finally my smell and taste are returning.... Not quite back to normal, but largely so. Makes eating considerably less boring. :mrgreen:

My throat is still a bit raw. Also my energy level still isn't quite 100 % of what it should be.

All around me, people are either having COVID or recovering from it. Nobody is or was seriously ill, thankfully. The pandemic is back alright. Nobody will escape this time, I think.

The current Omikron variety is nowhere as grave as the first varieties, but the illness is still far from pleasant to have. No need to be scared of it anymore, but don't forget to take your daily dose of vitamin D3, folks. :wink:
Did or do you have the lingering cough? That seems to be the lasting impression that the COVID left us, we had the stupid COVID cough for 3-4 weeks afterwards.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:03 pm
Did or do you have the lingering cough? That seems to be the lasting impression that the COVID left us, we had the stupid COVID cough for 3-4 weeks afterwards.
Just a rawness in the throat that makes it uncomfortable to speak for too long.... Practically no coughing in the daytime.

But during most nights of the past two weeks, I've had to use coughing syrup with an extra high dosage of codein. Otherwise I would start coughing during the night, which would ruin my sleep. But last night I didn't need the coughing syrup.

Not too sure about the coming night, though. But that may also have something to do with the walnuts I've been eating. It's walnut time again, and everywhere along the roads are small stalls where you can buy sacks with them. You know, where you have to put the money in a tin.

I love them, but walnuts tend to etch the throat because of the tannin they contain. I suppose I should try to restrain myself until they've dried properly, which reduces the tannin....
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18

Post by AZgl1800 »

for me, the irritating cough lingered on for about sixx weeks it seems.

I have been free of it now for about two weeks, and my episode was July 17th
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

I think for us the lingering cough was absolutely the worst part of the recovery. My wife and I we coughed for 3 to 4 weeks and it was truly annoying. We never lost our sense of smell or taste though. The worst part of it seemed the last 3 to 4 days.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm sat here waiting for a test to tell me if I have covid or not. I have felt like death warmed up all day and it's only getting worse tonight with full on shivers, body aches and a temperature now. So I either have covid or the flu kicking in. Either way, I'm isolating until I get over whatever it is.

EDIT - not covid according to the DHSC kit, so that's a bonus. I'll test again though in 24 hours just to make sure it's not a dodgy kit if I'm still as rough.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Muffin Man »

I got it back in April despite my 2 dose MRNA vaccination. It was like the flu. 2 weeks to feel back to "normal". I don't think I have lingering effects, but I'm going to start pushing it when I start my running regimen again.
The take-a-way is that honey flavored bourbon is _not_ the same as bourbon with honey ;)
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:09 pm
not covid according to the DHSC kit
Note that you have to stick the cotton swab also in your upper throat, so not only in your nose. Omikron also lives in the throat and sometimes doesn't even reach the nose, unlike earlier COVID varieties....
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/22/scie ... sting.html

Unfortunately the handling instructions for DIY test kits are usually outdated and don't reflect that new mode of operation yet. Mine didn't, but thankfully I was already aware of this, so I first stuck the cotton swab in my nose and then in my throat. A bit yucky, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do. :mrgreen:

By the way: your symptoms are the exact expected symptoms of an Omikron infection. Take good care of yourself and good luck.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I did wipe around my tonsils as well as up my nostril, the instructions are bang up to date in the kit

It was a 24 hour thing fortunately, feeling a lot better now
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:33 pm
I did wipe around my tonsils as well as up my nostril, the instructions are bang up to date in the kit

It was a 24 hour thing fortunately, feeling a lot better now
Well that is a good thing.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

@antikythera: good to hear. :)

As I still have a couple of unused tests lying around, I tested myself again yesterday. Just for larks. As expected, it was negative.

18 days after first symptoms, today is the first day that I can say that I've got about 95 % of both my energy and my taste/smell back. My throat has almost healed.

There is still an occasional dizziness, when I feel tired or stressed. But that has diminished also. Which makes it reasonable to expect 100 % recovery in the coming days.

COVID-19 feels like a rather bad flu. And full recovery takes me a while, considerably longer than with any other flu that I've had in the past.

It's no small thing, and you certainly don't want to be infected. But I believe that ultimately, unfortunately, literally everyone will undergo an infection. Vaccinated or not; this'll probably happen before next spring. The bug has simply become too infectious.

Upside: I'm glad that I've bit the bullet, building up the best possible natural resistance, so that I don't have to care in the least about this bloody bug anymore. Apparently recurring infections are possible, but those are bound to be much milder for me. :mrgreen:
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18

Post by AZgl1800 »

my daughter is a Rural Mail Carrier,

when she came home last night, she said that 3 of the other carriers were feeling like they have Flu symptoms, the usual stuff, but not enough to keep them out of work.

for her, she is okay, for me, I stay at home most of the time, isolating from the world...
we have 6 acres of grass and trees.... I cleaned the mower deck yesterday, scraped all the junk off from the bottom side, and we pushed hard to mow all of the property,

the Dust rolled up around that mower looking like an Arizona Habob roll cloud...
Lived there 20 years and they were an annual thing

https://www.azcentral.com/videos/news/l ... 171873001/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxCWUBjOt8

I had to jump in the shower the minute I got off that mower..... dirt rolled down off me in rivers.

Return to “Open Chat”