Question for Millenials

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Question for Millenials

Post by fstjohn »

Who's heard this distinctive sound and what is it?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Question for Millenials

Post by Termy »

I don't tend to click links which lead directly to people's files. Could you describe the sound?

I think I'm a Millennial. I occasionally hear the term, but I had to look it up. Apparently it's someone born in the 80s or 90s. For me it was the former. I expect it's a Dial-Up sound or the sound you'd hear on those old tapes in Amstrad machines. That's often what people enjoy sharing. :lol: Or it's the old HDD sounds, which I sorely miss! Those drives had character, and it was easy to hear possible faults. Or maybe it's a sound from Windows 95/98, like the iconic startup and login sounds. I'm definitely curious. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Termy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:07 pm I don't tend to click links which lead directly to people's files. Could you describe the sound?

I think I'm a Millennial. I occasionally hear the term, but I had to look it up. Apparently it's someone born in the 80s or 90s. For me it was the former. I expect it's a Dial-Up sound or the sound you'd hear on those old tapes in Amstrad machines. That's often what people enjoy sharing. :lol: Or it's the old HDD sounds, which I sorely miss! Those drives had character, and it was easy to hear possible faults. Or maybe it's a sound from Windows 95/98, like the iconic startup and login sounds. I'm definitely curious. :roll:
The link leads to an MP3 file. If you don't want to follow it, then don't. Why not just ignore the post?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Since I was born in the 1950's, I know exactly what is producing that very familiar sound. But I'm not a millenial by any stretch, so not who you are asking.
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

What Neil said..... :lol:
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

+3

an very familiar sound, that still is.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Artim »

I heard that sound in an old movie named War Games. A hacker looking to play an online war game "innocently" hacked into this top-secret military computer that constantly plays global thermonuclear war scenarios or something like that. That sound was the connection being made between computers and the electronic "handshake" between the machines when connecting using a land-based telephone. My grandparents call it "the AOL sound" because they heard it when they dialed into their internet service or a local Bulletin Board Server (BBS) with a computer on a landline (before cellphones got to be what they are today).

Or maybe it's an old FAX machine?
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Ah yes - I still recall the happy tune that my old US Robotics 9600 used to make as I connected to Compuserve....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

fstjohn wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:45 pm The link leads to an MP3 file. If you don't want to follow it, then don't. Why not just ignore the post?
Because I wanted to post something? Because it got me all nostalgic thinking what it might be? Because I wanted to? :roll: The very answer to your question is in my post: I didn't ignore the post because I had something to say. Oh well.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Neil Edmond wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:01 pm Since I was born in the 1950's, I know exactly what is producing that very familiar sound. But I'm not a millenial by any stretch, so not who you are asking.
Some not millenials could try and identify the protocol and speed at which that handshake is settling...
nooblinx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nooblinx »

dialup handshake :D
still noob in linux :~$ echo "my english is not good"
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ringshellfish »

rene wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:41 am
Neil Edmond wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:01 pm Since I was born in the 1950's, I know exactly what is producing that very familiar sound. But I'm not a millenial by any stretch, so not who you are asking.
Some not millenials could try and identify the protocol and speed at which that handshake is settling...
It dials 15702340003, V.42 LAPM @ 3200baud
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

If that's not just a joke -- and I suppose it's possible that it's not; major creds if you in fact piped that into some sort of analyzer -- isn't 3200 baud a bit odd? I did also believe to hear that's likely an older standard (the way in which it gets louder says something I believe as to age) but would've said 2400. In fact never heard of and certainly not used anything between 2400 and 9600.

Once again -- if real though: major creds...
ringshellfish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ringshellfish »

rene wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:31 pm If that's not just a joke -- and I suppose it's possible that it's not; major creds if you in fact piped that into some sort of analyzer -- isn't 3200 baud a bit odd? I did also believe to hear that's likely an older standard (the way in which it gets louder says something I believe as to age) but would've said 2400. In fact never heard of and certainly not used anything between 2400 and 9600.

Once again -- if real though: major creds...
It's not a joke, but I'm not 100% sure if correct. I extracted the number with this tutorial. From there I found out that this a widely used sample for which a graphic exists (here)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Not finding the V.42 LAPM 3200 thing there -- but still kudos for finding that. Fairly sure the numbers will be correct at least :)
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

ringshellfish wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:06 pm
rene wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:41 am
It dials 15702340003, V.42 LAPM @ 3200baud
:shock:
This forum needs to have a "like" button or something similar so I could express how impressed I am with this skill with just one click.

I still had dial-up internet back in 2004.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Been a while since I heard a dial up modem. I do not miss it at all, lol!

Return to “Open Chat”