So would you use Google Drive? Solved - answer no.

Chat about just about anything else

Would you use Google Drive to store your Files Online?

Yes
26%
No, I will use another option.
46%
No, I don't use any cloud storage services
28%

Total votes: 39

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

So would you use Google Drive? Solved - answer no.

Post by viking777 »

You already (possibly) authorise Google to access your mail, calendar, search records and heaven knows what else if you use google+, so why not your files and folders as well?

Supposedly google drive will be launched next week with 5Gb of free space and 'access from anywhere' capabilities. It may not contain a Linux client at launch, but that will almost certainly follow before too long.

One presumes that their privacy policy for the new service will be the same as for their existing products in accordance with the 'One policy for all' directive launched recently. It is here if you haven't read it yet: http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/policies/privacy/ . Maybe it is not as onerous as Amazon's offering: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/no ... -drive/882

But I am not a lawyer, so like most people I wouldn't understand the full implications of what is written.

A poll on this site: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/goog ... x-support/ indicates that 64% of respondents would use the service (April 20th 2012), I thought we would see how the MInt community feels about it so I have started a similar poll here. (If you choose to vote just assume that a Linux client for this service is available already)

Personally I use a combination of Dropbox and SpiderOak. SpiderOak is good because it encrypts all your personal data and does not hold any encryption keys so they are unable to read anything, but they only offer 2Gb space for free and have pretty slow servers and a slightly complicated interface - but it is Linux compatible. I am voting 'No' myself, on privacy grounds primarily but also on the grounds that I don't need any extra online storage space at present. That may not always be the case of course, so I could change my mind in the future, but I hope I don't end up being seduced by it :?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: So would you use Google Drive?

Post by xenopeek »

I'm currently using Dropbox for online storage, though I only use the web client and only for storing backups (with multi-layer encryption applied before uploading).
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

I have my own Private Virtual DataCenters.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Google drive is just another service I won't use, not because I fear for my privacy just because its irrelevant to my needs. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Habitual wrote:I have my own Private Virtual DataCenters.
:shock:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

monkeyboy wrote:Google drive is just another service I won't use, not because I fear for my privacy just because its irrelevant to my needs. Enjoy
+1. I use Google as my primary search engine, as my webmail provider, and Chrome as my favorite browser, so I have no ill feelings toward Google by any means. I just don't maintain any critical data electronically, so cloud storage is simply irrelevant to me.
Mint Cinnamon 20
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I like dropbox and have some music on Amazon's cloud. I would not be interested in letting Google stick its nose in even more of my business than it already does. My guess is this drive service is in preparing for their upcoming tablet.
KBD47
aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 »

tdockery97 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:Google drive is just another service I won't use, not because I fear for my privacy just because its irrelevant to my needs. Enjoy
+1. I use Google as my primary search engine, as my webmail provider, and Chrome as my favorite browser, so I have no ill feelings toward Google by any means. I just don't maintain any critical data electronically, so cloud storage is simply irrelevant to me.
I'm not sure whether Google Docs is relevant to this poll, but it does have an offline option (for just viewing files) which is the earth-bound equivalent of a backup of the stuff in the "cloud". The offline option does require Chrome as the browser. I've started using Google Docs, mainly the spreadsheet part, and quite like it. So, yes, I'll be using Google Drive if it becomes a reality.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

My USB pen drive is my cloud.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

aes2011 wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:
I'm not sure whether Google Docs is relevant to this poll, but it does have an offline option (for just viewing files) which is the earth-bound equivalent of a backup of the stuff in the "cloud". The offline option does require Chrome as the browser. I've started using Google Docs, mainly the spreadsheet part, and quite like it. So, yes, I'll be using Google Drive if it becomes a reality.
There is a neat extension called OpenOffice.org2GoogleDocs for LibreOffice (and OpenOffice) that lets you use Google Docs storage directly from inside Writer or Calc. It works with Zoho as well.

Docs now also comes with 5Gb of storage so effectively we have Goggle Drive already (at least for LibreOffice Docs) even if there is not yet a native client.
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

Voted # 3 :) Why would any one trust Online Storage :?:
My NAS Gives me all the storage i Need :) And i do use Google for search :D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5

Post by craigevil »

at this point Drive is just docs renamed. Already had a ton of junk in docs so having more space is nice. I use Box mostly can't beat 50GB free.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

OldManHook wrote:Voted # 3 :) Why would any one trust Online Storage :?:
My NAS Gives me all the storage i Need :) And i do use Google for search :D
The problem comes when someone breaks into your house and takes all your computers and your NAS. The world is not divided into either/or, you can keep some things on a USB stick at work, some on a NAS and some in the cloud. And multiple copies on each.

If you were a student you would be a mug not to use something like the G drive as well as local storage. Not being able to hand in your thesis after a years work because some low life cleaned out your possessions would be very sad. Meanwhile your competitor in the same position just logs in using a borrowed computer and prints his/her work like nothing happened. And the excuse of "the dog ate my USB stick" is pretty lame when Google offer this for nothing.

You do not have to trust, just use multiple tools to cover your bases.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

I voted "no, I will use another option", because when I tried to register I was asked for credit card details, and told that I would be charged for overusing the storage and download limits. I share credit card details sparingly, and for now I have no need for additional space (I use both dropbox and spideroak). I am concerned by the information google holds on me, but not yet paranoid. Also the end user agreement is not as good as spideroak or dropbox. Google wants full rights to copy and translate your data.

Garvan

A link to an article on the end user agreement.
http://chiefofficers.net/888333888/cms/ ... our_rights
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

:shock:
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sunewbie »

I have an account of dropbox to help my friend 500 mb, but never used it. dont need to . I simply backup on DVD (verbatim gold archival serives and JVC (taiyo yuden) archival series and also on HDD. This is enough for me.

I also have limited 5GB @5 mbps connection so I have to use it wisely
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

bimsebasse wrote:My USB pen drive is my cloud.
So is mine,plus Drop Box. And no way is Google getting my credit card info and running willy-nilly with my whatever.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Next Google will be asking for X-Rays and Blood Test Results! :lol:
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

bimsebasse wrote:My USB pen drive is my cloud.
I have several 1TB drives for storage of my digital images which I trust more so than any cloud service..

Since I use redundant backup I can lose a drive and still have all of my images..
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sunewbie »

KBD47 wrote:Next Google will be asking for X-Rays and Blood Test Results! :lol:
Nice one :) Thank God, they are not asking for DNA testing :lol:

but still I do not hate google
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

Return to “Open chat”