So would you use Google Drive? Solved - answer no.

Chat about just about anything else

Would you use Google Drive to store your Files Online?

Yes
26%
No, I will use another option.
46%
No, I don't use any cloud storage services
28%

Total votes: 39

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Re: So would you use Google Drive? Solved - answer no.

Post by GregE »

KBD47 wrote:the google business model involves knowing everything they can about you to sell to advertisers.
Very emotional language, but not strictly true. Google keeps everything it gathers for itself, they never give away your private information. When an advertiser puts in an ad Google send it to the people who their robots tell them might be interested. The advertiser does not get you information, but you get their ads.

As an example ..
Two years ago I was on a holiday in Paris with a group of friends. My GMail ran a banner ad about a cheap return train fare Paris London on the Eurostar. The Google robots knew I was on holiday. I clicked on it and we all went to London for a day at a ridiculously low fare and had a very fine lunch at the Ye Olde Whiltshire Cheese - Rebuilt 1667. I never would have known about the special without Google targeted advertising. Creepy or useful. That depends on your point of view. Eurostar were never given my information, all Google sold was an ad.

Now, if you think avoiding Google makes you somehow safe try this -

Install Chromium from the repos, you will want the open source version of course.
Start Chromium and go to the Chrome Web Store and search for and install Collusion.
Read a few web pages, scroll through a few threads on this site. Maybe read a few newspaper sites.
Then after about a half an hour open the Collusion window and see how many third parties have been informed of your actions.
Use Chromium for a whole day and open the Collusion window again.

The only site that I have visited that does not seem share information is Debian.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: So would you use Google Drive? Solved - answer no.

Post by zerozero »

as Greg said the word is not black or white and there's good use of the information google collects and although i no longer believe in the mantra, i'm very grateful for this:
xxxxx,

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account, xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Friday, 8 June 2012 08:58:41 GMT
IP Address: xxx.xx.xxx.xx

If you do not recognise this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately. Find out how at http://support.google.com/accounts?p=reset_pw

If this was you and you want to give this application access to your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login

Sincerely,
The Google Accounts Team

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “Open chat”