Vote for Mint on Lifehacker's Best Distro Poll

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Kevin108

Vote for Mint on Lifehacker's Best Distro Poll

Post by Kevin108 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Vote for Mint on Lifehacker's Best Distro Poll

Post by xenopeek »

Note that if you've never posted a comment on the lifehacker website before, they will ignore your vote. So don't bother voting in that case.
lifehacker wrote:To prevent tampering with the results, votes from first-time commenters may not be counted.
Bit pointless...
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I was ready to vote, till I read that tidbid while searching for the vote button :)
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

There's now a 5-way poll up. I'm going to update the original post.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

xenopeek wrote:Bit pointless...
In my opinion, voting is a bit pointless because there is no "best" Linux distro.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Indeed there is no "best" Linux distro (except for the one that just works for you :wink:). However, these kind of popularity polls are a great resource for users considering Linux. Helps narrow down the choice, and just pick a popular distro to start with.
Thinker

Post by Thinker »

xenopeek wrote:Indeed there is no "best" Linux distro (except for the one that just works for you :wink:). However, these kind of popularity polls are a great resource for users considering Linux. Helps narrow down the choice, and just pick a popular distro to start with.
Absolutely correct ..Boss
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Maybe so. But do these "polls" really reflect the actual popularity of a given distro? Only a small percentage of Linux users vote in these polls. Often, a person can clear their cookies and vote again and again. Distros that have a forum where someone posts a thread like this one might get many more votes than those where nobody bothers to mention some popularity poll. There are super distros out there that don't have lots of people (should I say "fanboys"?) who would bother voting in these polls. How many Linux users have actually spent long periods of time actually using more than a couple of distros? If they haven't, how would they know which one of the many is "best"? And, "most popular" doesn't necessarily mean "best."

The results of this one:
results.png
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MALsPa wrote:But do these "polls" really reflect the actual popularity of a given distro?
You are right of course :D Still, I think it serves a purpose, though skewed, in helping newbies make that final step and just pick a popular distro and start installing it. I know that is how I selected Ubuntu way back, though these days I mostly follow what DistroWatch gives mention of as being interesting in the weekly.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I don't think these polls represent anything really. They're just for fun.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Mint is already the most popular on Distrowatch by more than 2 to 1 over ubuntu. That's all that
matters. :D
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Do these polls matter for anyone or anything?

Return to “Open Chat”