Webbased Linux System

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Legionista

Webbased Linux System

Post by Legionista »

Hello,

first: I'm not a native speaker so please don't be confused about my (maybe) terrible mistakes ;)

Tomorrow I have an practice exam in our subject "Operating Systems" with Linux. We installed an Debian Server and tomorrow we will get some taks, which will be something like "Make an user with the name XYZ and move them to etc/init.d/Userboard".

My question is: is there a possibility so try the linux commands on a Webbased Linux System, which may run only in my browser? I think that I can all the commands I need, but I will practice them for the exam.

I hope someone can help me.

Greetings,

Legio

P.S.: I don't have the possibility to try it on our installed Debian Server, because they are in our school and from home there isn't possible to have an acces to them!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Webbased Linux System

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Open Chat section from Newbie Questions
veggen

Post by veggen »

I'm pretty sure that exists, but wouldn't know anything beyond that. Still, you can try whatever you want in a live session (i.e. boot from live disk or pen drive). That way you can do whatever you want without any fear as nothing is persisted.
Legionista

Post by Legionista »

Hello,

thanks for that idea ;)

A second quesion: Is there are an command with which help I can see all (or the most) commands which exists? I know that there is the man command, but I need a command if I forget a command I need.

Greetings,

Aaron
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I experiment with commands I'm not sure about on VirtualBox. If you have enough memory in your system (2GiB at least), this can be the easiest way :wink: Just download the .iso file of the Linux Mint version you want to use, install VirtualBox, start it and create a new virtual machine in which you boot the .iso file already downloaded.

You can use apropos to find manpages related to your search. See "man apropos" for more info.

To browse a list of commands on your system, you can do:

Code: Select all

ls /bin | xargs whatis | less
Or to list all the executable programs and shell commands that whatis knows about on your system, and next all the system administration commands:

whatis -s 1 -w \* | less

whatis -s 8 -w \* | less
Warning, these two give more than 2200 commands :shock: (Well, there are that many executables in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, so that shouldn't be a surprise :wink:)
Legionista

Post by Legionista »

Hello,

the exam was very good for me ;) (I don't know why but for the most of my classmates the exam was not so good ...)

I tried to install Linux Mint on the VirtualBox, but when LM is booting and I press enter to start LM "normal" nothing happens, but when I make the same thing, but booting from a CD it works. Wheres the problem?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

How much memory did you assign to the virtual machine? Select your virtual machine, and click the settings button. On the left side select "System". Make sure you have set "Base Memory" to at least 512 MB, but to run smoothly give it 1024 MB at least (your system should have 2 GB memory at least to do that).

Return to “Open Chat”