LoveFilm blaming Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

LoveFilm blaming Linux

Post by HappyLinux »

Lately, LoveFilm has been blaming Linux for their own mistakes.

For some reason, they have been sending films, series and games out to me that were not on my selection lists at the time. They were however, on my list at one point, whether it be an item that I had removed because I lost interest in wanting to watch it, or whatever other reason. Also, an item would be automatically removed from the lists when they had sent it to me.

So far, they have sent me a film which I had removed from my account no less than 1 month prior. A game which they sent out to me, I played, then 2 weeks later they sent it again even though I never put it onto my account again.

Both times, I contacted them, and both times they have blamed Linux. They say that they don't support Linux, but the only part of their website which they don't support Linux through is watching stuff online with the Silverlight/Moonlight codec.

First they blamed it on my browser and suggested that I use a different one. Next they said that my JavaRE wasn't up to date which it was, then Silverlight/Moonlight, now they just say that it's Linux.

I dual-boot my Mint 13 with Win7. So across both platforms, I run Chrome, Safari, Opera, IE and FF with the latest Java and Silverlight/Moonlight. All browsers up to date.

Why blame the customer for using Linux, when it's clearly their fault?

Has anyone else had this sort of problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LoveFilm blaming Linux

Post by xenopeek »

Yes :) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=82484

It seems you are never to mention you are using Linux, or face the ignorance of the prejudiced majority :P From personal experience above, I know the helpdesk folks are just trying to solve a problem, and Linux seems an easy scapegoat... I say, time to take a stand against this oppression! Release the penguins!

BrianD

Post by BrianD »

I used to have a similar problem talking with Comcast about issues with my internet service. At some point, they'd invariably want me to reboot my computer -- I'd ask "which one? I don't have internet access available on any of them, so I doubt it's any issue that would require a reboot."

At this point, the "help" person would usually express surprise/disdain/etc that I'm running a network and don't have a "Business Account" instead of a "Home Account", and that discussion would go on for a few minutes.

Eventually, we'd get back to the "need" to reboot my computer. Originally, I'd just give them two minutes or so of silence, while rustling papers on the desk, and that usually worked... but then, one operator exclaimed that they didn't hear any shutdown or startup noises...

So, one Saturday afternoon, I ventured into my (otherwise empty) workplace with a digital recorder. I started up my work computer (running Windows XP, at the time), then started the recorder and rebooted the computer. I saved the file on my home computer's (linux) desktop as an mp3 file -- thereafter, whenever any "help" desk person wanted me to reboot my computer, I'd play that mp3 file. :D

...of course, playing an mp3 file isn't going to fix the problem, either... but I didn't need to reboot anyway... and letting them hear the "sound of rebooting" allowed them to move on to the next item in their "help" script..
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

:lol:
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I see what people mean. From the other threads linked to in this one, it does appear that Linux is prejudiced against. Why? Wish I knew.

I wouldn't be surprised is half these companies that prejudice against Linux are running their website on a Linux run server. I use to have my own website, and the company I went through gave me the choice of Linux or Windows based servers. Linux being much cheaper, more stable etc than Windows, but Windows having more features.

So, any suggestions on what to do the next time I have to complain to LoveFilm again?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

HappyLinux wrote:I see what people mean. From the other threads linked to in this one, it does appear that Linux is prejudiced against. Why? Wish I knew.
In a word, Ignorance.
HappyLinux wrote:I wouldn't be surprised is half these companies that prejudice against Linux are running their website on a Linux run server.
More like 80%
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

80%, that's true.

Also, with the help of http://news.netcraft.com/ I found that LoveFilm runs their website on Linux Apache.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Awesome :lol:
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

BrianD wrote:
...of course, playing an mp3 file isn't going to fix the problem, either... but I didn't need to reboot anyway... and letting them hear the "sound of rebooting" allowed them to move on to the next item in their "help" script..
So true..Once our local ISP had to work on the cable outside..he then came in to ss the router,which was all lit up..He ignored the router's readout saying we were good to go and wanted to make sure we had Internet and asked to see my computer's network reading. So i walk over to my computer and sit down.

He looks at the screen and says:"What is that!?"

I look at him ,after whacking the wired network button.
What was he talking about?

He gestures at the screen:"THAT!"

Then it hits me..."Oh,I'm running Linux."

He had never heard of it,much less seen it.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Yeah, I had that with my last ISP. I was with TalkTalk and was having trouble with my line. For some reason, my download speed dropped by almost half, and it kept disconnecting. They sent a third party engineer out (not BT engineer) who refused to check my line and told me to open my routers firmware in Internet Explorer. I sat down at my computer and proceeded to open Chrome and quickly logged into the router. As soon as I had logged in, he had noticed that I wasn't running Windows and commented on it. He even said that it wasn't a iMac. I told him that it was Linux. So he said that what needs to be done may not work on Linux. So he proceeded to change a couple of settings on the router to govern how it connects to TalkTalk servers, not to my computer, which was and is currently connected to through LAN cable.

The changes in router settings rectified the disconnection problem, but not the download speed. He charged me £60 for him not doing his job and left. After several months of fighting tech support, even though I was running Windows Vista at the time, they were saying that Linux is causing the slowdown, and the problem wasn't their end. I them went on the forums at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ and asked for help, and complaining about TalkTalk.

To my surprise, TalkTalk has at least one representative who frequents the forums and noticed that I was dissatisfied with them. After a few posts and private emails, it was brought to my attention that as soon as TalkTalk had brought out a new server side technology (software or hardware, I don't know) called Dynamic Line Management, it halved my speed to increase stability. He had the DLM turned off on my account, and my download speed went back to almost what it was.

I'm now with a new ISP with higher download speeds, and better stability.

However, TalkTalk doesn't support Linux, even though their servers are run on Linux.

Next time I have to get complain to LoveFilm, I'll mention that they do support Linux, because their systems are running on Linux.

Return to “Open Chat”