Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Chat about just about anything else
User avatar
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by monkeyboy »

It isn't the OS that is used as much as it is the behavior and quality of the user. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
User avatar
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by Fandangio »

I'll reassert my comment whilst you make baseless arguments.

"Take, for instance, Mark Russinovich, Mark Thurrott, etc..., those guys are deep and technical and they could probably outsmart any equivalent that Linux has to offer and there are lots of them like that in Windows."
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
User avatar
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL., USA

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Fandangio wrote:I'll reassert my comment whilst you make baseless arguments.

"Take, for instance, Mark Russinovich, Mark Thurrott, etc..., those guys are deep and technical and they could probably outsmart any equivalent that Linux has to offer and there are lots of them like that in Windows."

You can reassert your comment all you wish; that's fine. I'll try to rise above that and not be a contributor to getting the thread locked and behave like an adult.

Do you happen to know who Mark Russinovich is? Can you name someone, alive today, that is as proficient in computer related technology including such a broad range of areas as he is? The guy eats kernels like they are popcorn.
Image
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
User avatar
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL., USA

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Diekan wrote:I can think of many reasons why Windows users get a bad rap.

First - they can be lazy. They know there is an alternative out there that will free them of viruses, malware, security breaches, and from the wallet draining software applications they are enslaved to. But, they won't take the time to research - they just know that someone told them that Linux was hard... why bother to do any actual research on your own?? Why are Linux users superior in this regard? Because the majority of today's computers do not ship with Linux. It has to be INSTALLED by the end user. This requires some work. It requires the end user to actually visit a Linux site, whether it be Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo, whatever. Then it requires them to download (in 99% of the cases) to ISO - then BURN the ISO to a disk, then install the OS. Ergo, where most Windows users can't tell you the difference between a hard drive and a mouse - who think BIOS was a science class in college - the Linux user actually has some semblence of a clue. They have to get the blasted OS installed.
I find these type of simplistic ideas about Windows users to be extremely ignorant and uniformed. Most Windows users can't visit a Linux website because it's too complicated? Most Windows users can't click a link and download a file? Most Windows users can't right click an .iso file and click BURN and pop in a CD? Most Windows users can't put a CD in their computer and turn it off and back on?

You know, I don't really understand the need to denigrate Windows users like some of you do but, these stereotypical ideas are so absurd that they do just the opposite of making Windows users look ridiculous and instead, make the people who push them seem silly and petty.

It's as if you are comparing all Windows users to the 85 year old great-grandfathers who call in to tech support or you seem to actually believe that ALL Windows users are the new/first time computer users that have no clue as to what they are doing.

I haven't seen quite such broad and uninformed painting with such a wide brush in many years. I could care less about Windows but, I don't purposely try to denigrate and score points on Windows users as if I am validating my existence and my choices in computing by doing so.

I don't really care about religion either but, I find no inner-need to shame and belittle and mock religious people like some have an inherent calling and need to do. I guess all different types make the world go around, though.
Image
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24973
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by xenopeek »

A lot of name calling in your original post CtrlAltDel :( Why do you ask "Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?" while at the same time giving Linux users such a bad rap? Just like not every Windows user is a luser, not every Linux user is what you make them out to be either. Most on this forum you will find to have the opinion "use whatever works for you".

Let's all tone it down a bit on the name calling or indeed this topic gets locked.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified the request to tone down was ment for all.
Image
User avatar
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by sunewbie »

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:
Most on this forum you will find to have the opinion "use whatever works for you".
+1

Regarding windows = windoz, MS = M$,

It may look childish, but not always ranting MS Windows. Nothing is perfect, so use what works for you.

... and there is no compulsion to use only one OS.

simply saying windoz is not fanatism, if taken on a lighter note. I am not taking side of ones using windoz, I occasionally do it, but not to attack windows.

Regarding tech knowledge, it is purely subjective. Since Linux has only 1.5 % market share and windows had more than 90 %, so not every user is technical. People only learn what earns them bread-n-butter.

e.g. a digital artist may create a creative design and will know how to use brushes in photoshop and have design sense (unlike me ;) ), but may not be interested in piling up layer of OS, as against a shell level programmer. People explore which gives them output and bread-n-butter.

I learned ppt presentation one night before i had an international presentation in front of national and international scientists and profs in PM conference (Powder Metallurgy).

I learned excel, specifically filters and macros when I found their need to use in office. Before that, I used MS word to make invoices, then shifted to excel and later to custom VB a/c software.

Same with inventory, from memory (my father's way of working) to pen-n-paper to excel then use macros and filters and then to custom VB software.

But I don't know the inside out of windows

So OP's argument that Windows users are superior is subject and to me personally, not true, mainly because of it's mass acceptance.

End users make OS popular and not devs. and end users are not technicals. I Regularly take interviews for office assistance and believe me, girls and guys do not know simple formulas, forget use of macros.

On the other hand, Linux evolved as a hobby and people tend to explore more. It is the class of people using Linux that makes it look tech and they are more active than the tech ones of MS (in helping others).

If Linux becomes as popular as windows, whole scene will change.

Average users see PC as a tool to get job done and not as a toy for passing time.

How many people use most features of MS word and MS Excel???

Not even 5 % of total customer using MS office. Because they do not need to use them. Their job gets done in using only a fraction of features. These are majority of people using MS. Many people turn to Linux after some bad exp in windows or to give a try to another OS.

I do not mean that windows users cannot be as technical as Linux users, but reverse engg is more easy or rather comfortable, because of it's Open source. FOSS offers great learning opportunity.
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
User avatar
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! »

Windows users in a nutshell:

Tech support: "What Operating system are you running?"
Caller: " I dun know"
Tech support: "ah.. it's Windows"

Tech support: " What web browser are you using?
Caller: " I dun know"
Tech support: "ah.. explorer"

Tech support: "What's the problem?"
Caller: "I think I got a virus".
Tech support: "Well, we're your internet provider..."
Caller: "I got it off YOUR internets".
Tech support: "hold that thought... I'm going to quit my job and live in the woods with no electricity for the rest of my life".
/dev/urandom

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by /dev/urandom »

AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! wrote:Tech support: " What web browser are you using?
Caller: " I dun know"
Tech support: "ah.. explorer"
Tech support is stupid. Explorer is the file manager.
User avatar
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

/dev/urandom wrote:
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! wrote:Tech support: " What web browser are you using?
Caller: " I dun know"
Tech support: "ah.. explorer"
Tech support is stupid. Explorer is the file manager.
Nitpicky much?

[nitpicky]
Oh, BTW, Microsoft's file manager is called Windows Explorer, not just Explorer. :wink:
[/nitpicky]
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
/dev/urandom

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by /dev/urandom »

Depends. It never had "Windows Explorer" as its title, back when it still had a title, it always was "Explorer". :mrgreen:
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by bimsebasse »

dev/urandom is our in-house troll, pedant and ladies man - we've decided to find him a colourful addition to an otherwise by and large tediously civil forum.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
/dev/urandom

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by /dev/urandom »

I am not a troll, I am just not a fanboy, that's about it.
(Also, I can't see how my postings are "trolling" while above "Windows users don't know anything about their computer" is not.)
User avatar
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL., USA

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Well, I'm afraid to comment or make any further posts for fear of being banned so, this is it for me in this thread. I'm from the United States and I'm not used to only one sanctioned viewpoint being allowed. I'm out.

Now, if I could just get a "little", just a small amount of help with several issues I am having with Mint 13 Mate I'll be happy again, I suppose.

On these boards here at the Linux Mint forum, many, many, many questions just tend to go unanswered. I don't know if it's because no one has a clue on how to give sound advice because they just don't know the answer or if they just don't feel comfortable helping someone that doesn't have enough posts or what it is.
Image
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by bimsebasse »

CtrlAltDel wrote:On these boards here at the Linux Mint forum, many, many, many questions just tend to go unanswered. I don't know if it's because no one has a clue on how to give sound advice because they just don't know the answer or if they just don't feel comfortable helping someone that doesn't have enough posts or what it is.
That's certainly not my impression at all. If questions go unanswered it's because no one knows the answer or those who do didn't see the post or had time to answer. No one in here gets paid, there's no guarantee anyone can help, and though relatively busy for a Linux forum it's far from busy enough to function as an all-knowing helpdesk.
Well, I'm afraid to comment or make any further posts for fear of being banned so, this is it for me in this thread. I'm from the United States and I'm not used to only one sanctioned viewpoint being allowed. I'm out.
I think the ghosts around you are in your head mainly. No one seems to be on your case in this thread apart from one poster writing "troll"? You actually had people agreeing with you and some thoughtful non-confrontational replies. It seems an itsy bitsy bit like you expected a pack of rabid Linux pharisees violently attacking your views and are somewhat disappointed to find it didn't happen :D
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL., USA

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

bimsebasse wrote:
CtrlAltDel wrote:On these boards here at the Linux Mint forum, many, many, many questions just tend to go unanswered. I don't know if it's because no one has a clue on how to give sound advice because they just don't know the answer or if they just don't feel comfortable helping someone that doesn't have enough posts or what it is.
That's certainly not my impression at all. If questions go unanswered it's because no one knows the answer or those who do didn't see the post or had time to answer. No one in here gets paid, there's no guarantee anyone can help, and though relatively busy for a Linux forum it's far from busy enough to function as an all-knowing helpdesk.
Well, I'm afraid to comment or make any further posts for fear of being banned so, this is it for me in this thread. I'm from the United States and I'm not used to only one sanctioned viewpoint being allowed. I'm out.
I think the ghosts around you are in your head mainly. No one seems to be on your case in this thread apart from one poster writing "troll"? You actually had people agreeing with you and some thoughtful non-confrontational replies. It seems an itsy bitsy bit like you expected a pack of rabid Linux pharisees violently attacking your views and are somewhat disappointed to find it didn't happen :D
No, that isn't it and I must make this my last post in this thread. It wasn't the ill-educated and childish poster calling names but, the creator of Linux Mint who came into the thread threatening to lock it. I know when to keep quiet and I think this is one of those times.

As far as unanswered questions, there are lots of them. Go to any board on the forum and there are bound to be at least 5 or six single post threads with no reply, on each page. Not even a "sorry, there is no fix for that", etc... It's like many don't really understand Linux Mint well enough to help someone else solve what would seem to be simple problems that surely have a fix.

For goodness sakes, I made a very detailed post, yesterday, about how to be able to use Firefox or gThumb to simply be able to right click an image and select set as desktop background and be able to set your desktop background image. I guess it just blew everyone's mind, as there were no responses save one suggesting that I change window managers. WOW.

It's just little things like that that make me wonder if anyone around here truly knows what they are doing. And, I know that this is a volunteer board and I am always very polite, no matter the advice or lack of it and appreciate all the help I can get. I guess I'm just not used to such simple issues such as being able to simply and easily set your desktop background without having to go through six or seven clicks being such mind blowing show stoppers.

On a Windows board like Windows 7 Forums, which are also ran and operated by volunteers, you would not only get response after response until it was fixed but, you would also be directed to an illustrated tutorial about it, a YouTube video about it, and may even receive personal email about it. Here? Nothing. For many things, if you can't figure it out on your own in Linux, you are just floating adrift without a paddle.
Image
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by bimsebasse »

It wasn't the creator of Linux Mint (?), it was a moderator, and his input was directed at two derailing combatants, not you, which was quite obvious. Gotta say it's a bit childish if you take unanswered posts so much to heart. When something I post doesn't get attention I shrug, and I certainly don't think the world hates me, try and do the same, try less melodrama on the whole..

I'm beginning to think you're not serious...
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24973
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by xenopeek »

CtrlAltDel I'm indeed just a moderator. Apologies for seeming to single you out, I've amended my post to make it more clear I meant for everybody in the topic to tone it down a bit. Banning is not done lightly (except for spammers) and a user will have ignored multiple personal warnings before banning will be considered. You are not at risk of being banned :)
Image
abnvolk
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by abnvolk »

You know, Linux is quite complicated, it differs from computer to computer. You use Cinnamon? I use MATE. You have Nvidia? I have Intel Graphics. You use this patch? I use another one. There may be a very few people having the same problem as yours. If I don't have it, or I don't know how to solve it, all I can do is to view your thread. I won't say "I don't know. I don't have this problem" just to make you more depressed and waste my time. Or if I have the same problem but don't know how to solve it, I can keep an eye on the thread to see if it is solved :D
We don't have many users here, as you can see, and there are many newbies - I think most of the forum members are newbies, since Mint is easy to use :D . There are many people who only go to the forum whenever they have a problem. They may even search for it on the net and don't need to go here to ask questions. That's why people don't help solve your problem.
I am just a newbie, but I like to help people, and I have much time, so I often spend time wandering here (almost everyday since June :lol:) to see if anybody needs help. But I'm just a newbie. I can help people who have font errors in Terminal because they choose the wrong fonts, but I can't help people who are unable to boot because something goes wrong :wink:
Please don't compare the Windows forum to the Linux Mint one, since Windows is used by more people. And Windows doesn't have different WM and DE (unless you install KDE for Windows :lol:), works pretty well on most of the hardwares out there, and isn't customized as much as Linux. Therefore, many people may have the same problem and it is easier to search for how to fix it. Oh, and I seem not to have filled in my email address and my year of birth when registering :lol:
User avatar
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by sunewbie »

+1 abnvolk

I am too an end user.

Regarding XP, during my college days, I would dictate a solution on telephone. But Linux is different. I too try to help people as much as I can.

AS you have said, too many options, make little Linux users divided.

Again, regarding the windoz issue,

in FOSS world, the entire philosophy is different then proprietary world. So difference of opinion and hence windows = windoz will keep happening. Please do not mind it.

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, but have a different approach.

I hope you are getting my point.

Regarding the unanswered part, as far as this thread is concerned, you are not stuck up somewhere. You cannot understand why people write windoz i.e. you question attitude.

So you may or may not get response. It may happen that even genuine doubts may not be answered. Thats the thing I accept it. Generally, I try things in virtualbox rather than breaking installed system on HDD :)

Use whatever works for you and of-course Mint forums are always open

Cheers.
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7522
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Why do Windows users get such a bad rap?

Post by DrHu »

CtrlAltDel wrote:It's so childish and immature the way some of you react to Windows and Windows users and it makes you seem ignorant and almost backwards.
And you say some windows users are not, true, but like every other measure some are!

The reason might be that a windows OS user consider that simply because Microsoft got there first, they should get to decide how everything works on the desktop, and every other OS should attempt to match windows OS idiosyncrasy in order to be considered a good OS
--simply absurd.
  • Consider the double-click for opening an icon , such as a shortcut to a folder
    -does that make any sense to anyone who hasn't been brainwashed into believing it does make sense!
Locked

Return to “Open chat”