[SOLVED] Buy a replacement Intel wifi card for my Broadcom?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MrD

[SOLVED] Buy a replacement Intel wifi card for my Broadcom?

Post by MrD »

My five year old Dell Inspiron 1520 just keeps going. I've upgraded it (cpu/ram/hdd), replaced the screen bulb when it blew, the keyboard twice and I'm just about to solder a new power connector onto the motherboard (it's a bit loose) and I'm now thinking about a long term 'issue' with Ubuntu, the Broadcom wifi card.

Since they're only £3 secondhand on ebay, is now a good time to just get one and fit it to avoid the headache fresh installing because of the broadcom one?

EDIT: In case anyone reads this in the future, I've bought and fitted the Intel card and it made the headaches go away. imho a good £3 spent for the future. This morning I had to reinstall my laptop and it grieved me, then when I had it all done the postman delivered the replacement card (sigh) At the moment, going in Package Manager, installing the B43 installer then having to install Nautilus and sudo'ing into the etc/modprobe_d folder and editing the blacklist.conf file, putting a "#" mark at the beginning of the Broadcom BM43xx line and then saving it was a long reading session and mess about.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Open Chat”