Debian forum, Mint haters

Chat about just about anything else
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Debian forum, Mint haters

Post by excollier »

Why is Mint so reviled by some Debian forum regulars? I can, to some extent, see why they dislike Ubuntu. But why Mint? Even LMDE by some there. It seems to have more than it's fair share of troll - like contributers, and I am by no means tarring them all with the same brush, but it seems to go either unnoticed or it's acceptable to be unpleasant, especially to anyone new, strangely. Is it some sort of initiation rite?
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Debian forum, Mint haters

Post by eanfrid »

Trolls, morons and childish behavior are everywhere. I use Debian and don't like Ubuntu. It is my opinion but I don't flame Ubuntu users who don't agree with me. However I like Linux Mint even if it will never be my main desktop distribution. Furthermore, Cinnamon has convinced me a long time ago and became my main desktop environment since v1.6 - many thanks to Clem's & LM dev team work.

I am glad to have installed LM13 on my mother's computer (she is 70+): all is running fine and she can do all that she wants without any fear of breaking things.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

There are many things I like and a number of things I dislike. I have reasons for both. In this distros fare no better or worse.

It isn't a flame to express your like/dislikes anyway.

I can, to some extent, see why they dislike Ubuntu. But why Mint?
Why do you feel it would be acceptable for them to dislike ubuntu yet unacceptable for them to dislike mint? Do you think that you get to decide for others what is alright to like or dislike?

I take that back actually. I am not that big on like/dislike but rather evaluating positives/negatives and using whichever has the most positives and/or the least negatives for any given desire. Everything has positives and negatives and I see no reason to have any loyalty to anything but rather choose that which is already closest to my desire or that allows me to achieve my desire in the most desirable way.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I say I can see why because Debian purists see Ubuntu as heading in the commercial direction. I didn't say I had any preference, but Mint? What is their beef with Mint? Not Debian enough? (obviously not, but what offends them so?)
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

That cliquey, circle jerk, "RTFM" attitude is a hold-over of early 2000's Linux message boards and the nerd-rage snobbism that surrounded it.

When I first dabbled with Morphix, Overclockix and Debian around 2003-2004, if you couldn't split the atom they'd give you the cold-shoulder.

Thankfully these attitudes are rare these days and Mint Forums is the best, friendliest web forum for common folks looking for common Linux solutions and just generally sharing end-user experience.
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

I like the Mint forum because posters are pragmatic and patient. I have seen forums develop a seemingly derisive personality over time. But, it always seems that their vast majority of posters are not nasty and avoid the offensive flames.

About 13 years ago I frequented a C++ forum that slowly became quite hostile. You essentially had to begin each post with something like: "I hate managed code." Without it, you would either be ignored or barked at.

I use both Debian and Mint... depends on the purpose of the machine. In fact (hope I don't get flamed), on some community machines I use Windows.
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

excollier wrote:I say I can see why because Debian purists see Ubuntu as heading in the commercial direction. I didn't say I had any preference, but Mint? What is their beef with Mint? Not Debian enough? (obviously not, but what offends them so?)
Yea, what I am saying is you would have to ask them to find out. To do otherwise seems kind of trollish...

Does something have to offend to be disliked or perceived as a negative? They likely have legitimate(at least to them) reasons for not liking something or perceiving something as a negative. I don't know anyone that does otherwise, do you?

You would have to ask the person themselves what they dislike about mint to find out what they dislike. They aren't a collective or anything...

Personally I do not use mint or ubuntu because they are both heavier systems (default installs are anyway) than I care to run. To put it simply, I find the bloat to be a negative. It is more work to slim default installs down than it is to build a base debian system up. Not to mention the end result I achieve with debian seems to provide more of what I want with less stuff that I do not want.

I can think of many reasons why someone might not like debian based systems....going all the way to them simply being redundant....duplicated resources....taking away from debian rather than contributing...collecting money but not contributing any of the funds back to debian...calling it debian yet not adhering to debian principles....etc...
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

MartyMint wrote:That cliquey, circle jerk, "RTFM" attitude is a hold-over of early 2000's Linux message boards and the nerd-rage snobbism that surrounded it.
says martymint the user with MINT in his username....probably has the mint tshirt and pom-poms too no doubt...nah that isn't clique-ish... :D

...in that case it probably would of died by now since certainly those users are not the same ones from 2000. Since it hasn't there is obviously some kind of 'in' that some people find. Maybe the 'in' is realizing that it isn't necessary to hold the same opinion and to be able support your opinion rather than just expect everyone to be all warm and fuzzy and agree with your feelings. Maybe it is about not expecting everyone to like every distro but for people to have an opinion (good or bad) and defend that opinion. Sounds kinda opposite of a clique to me....
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

gnudude wrote: says martymint the user with MINT in his username....probably has the mint tshirt and pom-poms too no doubt...nah that isn't clique-ish... :D
I meant, to the point of exclusivity.
gnudude wrote:...in that case it probably would of died by now since certainly those users are not the same ones from 2000. Since it hasn't there is obviously some kind of 'in' that some people find. Maybe the 'in' is realizing that it isn't necessary to hold the same opinion and to be able support your opinion rather than just expect everyone to be all warm and fuzzy and agree with your feelings. Maybe it is about not expecting everyone to like every distro but for people to have an opinion (good or bad) and defend that opinion. Sounds kinda opposite of a clique to me....
That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about people who bristle at the mention of "Linux not being ready for the desktop" and in the next turn, roll their eyes at Joe Lunchbox because he isn't able to roll his own kernel to solve a problem.
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

MartyMint wrote:I meant, to the point of exclusivity.
How can a public forum that is loosely moderated and that is focused on software that is freely downloaded and shared, along with a treasure trove of documentation and learning on that software....how can anything about that be exclusive? Do tell? :lol:
nomko

Post by nomko »

excollier wrote:Why is Mint so reviled by some Debian forum regulars? I can, to some extent, see why they dislike Ubuntu. But why Mint? Even LMDE by some there. It seems to have more than it's fair share of troll - like contributers, and I am by no means tarring them all with the same brush, but it seems to go either unnoticed or it's acceptable to be unpleasant, especially to anyone new, strangely. Is it some sort of initiation rite?
Arrogancy! It's all in this single word. I noticed it as well. As long it is not Debian, it sucks to their opinion. At the Debian forum many topics have been started to bash Ubuntu, Mint and even Windows. And no admin/mod over there that stop this bashing and trolling. They even join that discussion. Debian users feed on flamewars.

Mint is for me at this moment a very good operating system. Maybe it's not the best out there, but it suits my needs the best of having a simple, easy-to-use operating system without all the bells and whistles and glamour and shiny mirrors... And the bashing of other operating systems :wink:
rokytnji
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rokytnji »

I don't blanket anything in life. I run everything from AntiX unstable, Puppy, Mint_Ubuntu, to Windows 7 for tuning Harley Davidsons.

I figure the thing that irks Debian Forum members with LMDE or other Spinoffs like Crunch Bang and AntiX just has to do
with file locations.

It is hard to give advice and stressful when flash libplayer.so goes in ~/.mozilla/plugins, or /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree, or /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Depending on the distro. Symlinks can also change between Distros also. So you get
"Oh, you run LMDE. Sorry. I can't help with that as it is not pure Debian".

Then. Just like in life. You just get the occasional walking sphincter. Just consider the source and move on. Life is too short to get upset by online hate.
Me being a Biker. If you dis respect me on the street. Live with the consequences.
Linux user 475019.
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

...and I am talking about having an opinion good or bad and being able to state it, then either supporting it or taking the heat when someone calls you on it...

That is what forums.debian.net is all about...or at least it was...a bit less so sometimes lately...

You can say what you like over there....but you better be ready for the response...and realize if it isn't what you like you don't get to scream FOUL and have it all wiped away....

it is a bunch of individuals more so than any other forum I am aware of...

anybody is welcome to be one of those indivduals but dont expect that you are joining part of a group that thinks like you do...as most other forums are...

once again, debian is probably the least cliqueish group of users rather than the most - many users just cant get over that it is okay not to be the same...

you would be lucky to find two users who feel the same about more than one thing....most disagree about a hundred things...

but never confuse any of that with helpfulness or lack thereof...but dont expect someone to do it for you over and over and over...sooner or later everyone has to wipe their own nose...
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

nomko wrote: Arrogancy! It's all in this single word. I noticed it as well. As long it is not Debian, it sucks to their opinion.
Its not that it isnt debian it just sucks for some other reason...just happens to not be debian in that case. Sometimes debian sucks or some things about debian sucks...but the good part is you just apt-get remove whatever it is and keep going.

At the Debian forum many topics have been started to bash Ubuntu, Mint and even Windows. And no admin/mod over there that stop this bashing and trolling. They even join that discussion. Debian users feed on flamewars.
How dare anyone have an opinion! Once again, it isn't bashing to state an opinion...

And the bashing of other operating systems

The clique has spoken...bashing is bad...everyone must agree...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

excollier wrote:Why is Mint so reviled by some Debian forum regulars? I can, to some extent, see why they dislike Ubuntu. But why Mint?
Seems like there are plenty of Ubuntu-haters here at the Mint forums. I think the general rule is, the best Linux distro is "the one that I use." :lol:
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Boards are like bars in some ways, with different management, patrons, rules, etc. Like bars if a board doesn't fit ones tastes we are free to move on. Yes, the Debian board isn't for everyone and that is OK because that is that way that community likes it, their board their choice. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

And I use six different distros including Debian and Mint, as well as Windows Vista, I like 'em all for one reason or another, but I don't ".....detest Mint and all that they stand for....." like one admin / mod said on Debian forums.
Anyway, I'll not be going back for help, so I'll probably wipe Debian if I run into problems, or ask elsewhere.
Such a shame when this attitude appears, but it's human nature I guess. It will help to ensure that Windows / Mac stay top of the pile forever.
gnudude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnudude »

sooooo....

what do I care what you use or do not use....

how dare that person have an opinion

dont go back for help...you are missing out on a wealth of knowledge (less now than in the past IMO tho) over there

an opinion is now an attitude?

what do I care what stays on top of YOUR pile

you going to let someone keep you away from something just because they say something you dont like....thats sad...
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Mmmmm......interesting.
Anyway........ I remain distro neutral, all I want is to use my computer at the end of the day. I've been around too long to have to take abuse and be told to "go away" by trolls on a forum. Life is too short, and computer operating sytems are simply unimportant in the grand scheme of life.
I am fairly certain that the offending persons behave very differently when faced with real people, or else they are on close first name terms with their dentist.
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

edited and removed as it seemed to offend to many
sorry folks
Sam
Last edited by samriggs on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Return to “Open chat”