Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
danagos

Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Post by danagos »

NO, MINT IS NOT SAFE CAUSE COMES FROM UBUNTU. POINT.

I was just watching ETHERAPE with TOR BROWSER 10 min ago to analyse connections...

And i saw 50 MB of data sent to gru03s07-in-f15.1e100.n. Hoa! In debian this does not happen!!! I have no google software here!!! And tor bundle dont acess it!!! and... 50MB???
So i went to google...
http://www.pcmech.com/article/the-mysterious-1e100-net/

Ubuntu is always with "strange mysterious connections"... So is mint.
Pay more attention to the debian edition please...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
samriggs

Re: Is mint into PRISM PROJECT???

Post by samriggs »

Here is google's official explanation on the 1e100.net

http://support.google.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=174717

For those wondering what it's about. If it's used for more then that who knows.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

OP, how would you conclude Mint is doing anything suspicious based on how Google communicates with its servers, and thus its services? Are you possibly using their DNS servers? (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

ya the 1e100.net has nothing to do with mint at all, it's all google stuff for their servers and by their explanation it makes sense.
What else they got going on, no clue.
A lot of paranoia going on with this Prism stuff, even though they constantly say they listen to chatter all the time, it's been going for years and has been known for years.
Not too worried about it myself, don't really care, it was bound to happen and it has to some degree. I had a lot of folks around me asking about it all, which got me looking into it a bit, just told them all, if your not doing anything why worry, not much can be done about it anyhow, maybe some steps, but personally for me, I don't care.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

samriggs wrote:ya the 1e100.net has nothing to do with mint at all, it's all google stuff for their servers and by their explanation it makes sense.
What else they got going on, no clue.
A lot of paranoia going on with this Prism stuff, even though they constantly say they listen to chatter all the time, it's been going for years and has been known for years.
Not too worried about it myself, don't really care, it was bound to happen and it has to some degree. I had a lot of folks around me asking about it all, which got me looking into it a bit, just told them all, if your not doing anything why worry, not much can be done about it anyhow, maybe some steps, but personally for me, I don't care.
The problem with the logic if you are not doing anything wrong, why worry, is that it's still wrong. Do you ever walk up to someone and have a personal conversation that you try to not let others hear? Why do that? If you aren't doing anything wrong why not share it?

See my point? Some things you just want to be between you and another person, or within only a small group. And that means you'd never disclose that conversation to a federal enterprise just because you aren't doing anything wrong. It has nothing to do with right/wrong in terms of your activities. It has to do with your rights. Maryland won't even allow a recorded conversation without consent of both parties. This FAR surpasses that law for any resident of Maryland in that they record everything without consent of the parties involved.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I totally understand where your coming from and I also agree with you 100%
I don't think it's fair, I also don't know if there is much that can be done about it.
The old saying, "you can't fight city hall" it has been done but it takes a lot of folks to do it, I don't like it, but I'm also not worried about it.
I wish the law of Maryland was everywhere.
It's like having a third party listening and watching everything you do, big brother has been in the works for a lot of years, more then likely since 1776, it was always bound to happen, but the next step, what can be done to stop it? That has been the question for a lot of years and even if we can stop certain things what's to stop them from doing things behind the scene like they usually do anyhow. It's not as if governments never lie :lol:
Kind of reminds me of that movie IRobot, were doing it for your protection, we are protecting you from you. Ya right. :roll:
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Yeah, I'm not sure what it will take to fight it, but the American public seems to be ready for the fight. They basically took our laws and threw them out the window in the name of protecting us. The problem is most all of "us" are not the problem.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

yup Canada is a pretty passive country, the only time the country rebelled against something is when rogers tried to scam us :lol:
The whole country went up in arms over that one and started cancelling there services until rogers changed it, they lost millions over that one.
Don't mess with our internet and tv charges darn it. Ya were tough :lol:
Actually in hockey we are.
B.C. fights a lot if the government tries to roll one over on them, when I lived out there, there wasn't too much the government could do if the people didn't like it.
They even got their taxes changed, something the rest of the country wasn't able to do for some reason, but they usually don't take to much crap out their which is good to see. Should be interesting to see how they handle this one, maybe I should move back out there, better scenery anyhow, and lots of places to go if a dictatorship ever took place if one is worried about that stuff.
The even brought in an extra tax years ago to supposedly pay off the deficit, when it first started they said there was a ton of money coming in from it, but no deficit was paid off at all, typical :roll:
who knows where that went.
flomint

Post by flomint »

hello,
you really think that mint and ubuntu are not safe?

what do you think about distros on this page:
[url]http://prism-break.org/[/url]

fedora and debian are safe, away from prism?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Interesting site
Thanks for this.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

That's to funny: the nsa Prism project is apparently to collect metadata
--internet, phones to search for patterns ( fishing net for keywords), they, at least for now won't necessarily be drilling down into individual files or transmisions without some purpose.

Now, commercial companies already collect a massive amount of data from their users, even more directly personal data, and probably make much use of it (think targetted commercials, consumer goods) than they will acknowledge.

Doesn't mean we should all get paranoid about big brother or big business
--even as they are quite cavilier about user data: often dropping it off somewhere's outside their purview: always a mistake they say
  • Probably just bad management or policies or operational training
    --they hardly ever seem to feel the need to encrypt usb sticks or notebooks for example
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

most of the stuff that shows collection of data or whatever the heck they do, is ones I use constantly.
Oh well, not willing to give them up for hiding from prism.
It is interesting read though, all of this stuff. especially the tor project. I thought earth link tried something similar years ago and got into some trouble over it or something, can't really remember now, it was quite a while ago.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

forget about Prism.

worry about what we DON'T know about.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Don't worry.....
'bout a thing.......
'cos every little thing is gonna be alright.

Why would you worry? It won't do you any good I tells ya! :D
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
flomint

Post by flomint »

wheeledgoat wrote:forget about Prism.

thats rue.
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

What's that keep clam thing the British said during WWII, it applies here nicely. And honestly if your that worried about it then cut your internet and phone connections and move out to Alaska.
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

No. We should worry about both.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Aleenik wrote:

How about the individual worrying about what they deem relevant and let others make up their own minds.
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

monkeyboy wrote:
Aleenik wrote:

How about the individual worrying about what they deem relevant and let others make up their own minds.
Obviously people can worry about what they want.

However, if you look at my post again, you will see it was in response to someone who is apparently worrying about what we don't know and suggested that we only worry about that. I suggested worrying about both what we do know and what we don't know. What we should and shouldn't worry about is all a matter of opinion. I think that's a given.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

All this talk about worrying about stuff?What am I to worry about?
Stuff that I know about? Worry about that?
Stuff that I don't know about? Should I worry about that too? Or instead?
What is it I don't know about that I should worry about? Ah.... then I'd know, and then I should maybe or maybe not worry about it. So it's best if I don't know then I can imagine all sorts of stuff, and have a good old worry.
Now I'm worried that there is something I'm not being told, that's worrying in itself. What is it? No don't tell me, let me have a worry about it first. Then tell me, and I'll see if I've time to consider worrying about it. I'm a busy man you know....no time to sit and worry.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint

Return to “Open Chat”