Replace DVD with HDD

Chat about just about anything else
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Replace DVD with HDD

Post by excollier »

Background:
For some time now I have been using a laptop, minus it's screen, but connected to a vga monitor as a desktop computer. (it's a HP Pavillion dv5)
It is set up as a multi-boot linux computer. I hardly, if ever, use the dvd drive now, so I was thinking of replacing it with a 2.5" hdd, so that I can install Windows XP to that drive so I can study for CompTIA A+.
In the BIOS I have the boot order as usb, then dvd and hdd last (so I can boot from .iso live image files and test then install).
What I would like to know is, if I connect a 2.5" hdd to the terminals previously used by the removed dvd drive (slim SATA) will the bios still see this as the dvd and boot from it before the main hdd? I have a slim SATA to SATA adaptor already, but haven't bought a spare 2.5" hdd yet.
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Replace DVD with HDD

Post by pfeiffep »

I go weeks on end without using my DVD drive, but then suddenly I find myself using it.
Possibly consider using an external USB drive as an second boot drive. Of course this assumes that your computer will boot from USB
Good luck,
Pete
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
741cc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 741cc »

I've long since used a "sata-sata hdd caddy", (search ebay), to hold a second hdd to store my videos on my laptop.
If your bios confuses a hdd with a dvd drive it is clearly faulty and needs attention.
If you run update-grub as root on your Linux system, it will find all the O/S's installed on your machine and include them in the boot menu.
The boot order sequence is easily changed in the bios settings, or you can hit one of the F-keys or ESC or DEL (varies on different machines) on boot-up to display a pop-up menu.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I don't need a caddy, I have a direct connection to the motherboard, vacated by the dvd drive. I also know how to access and alter my boot order in BIOS and how to edit GRUB. My question was (and maybe it's my fault if I was unclear) will the hdd that replaces the dvd be recognised as a boot device in the same way as the dvd is at present?
Anyway, I will try it out later as I have now bought a second hand 2.5" hdd, so I'll put a Linux OS on it and then plug it in and try it - only way I guess.
By the way 741cc, what bike do you have with that engine size?? I recently gave up motorbikes after 33 years, I got fed up getting wet in the rain, then up pops the driest warmest spell in 18 years, typical.
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
741cc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 741cc »

The caddy makes a neater job of the conversion imo.
The machine will boot from the hdd that replaces the dvd drive.
Assuming you want to keep the OS on the original hdd as your main system, then install the new OS onto the new hdd and install grub to the partition, not to the mbr. Reboot to your original OS and run update-grub and you should have a grub menu that defaults to your original system, and includes the new OS below it. hth. Good luck.

741cc is, of course, a Meriden Triple. Got a T150 and a T160. Also have a 1050 Speed Triple.
Yes, the UK weather does always try to outwit us, but I have this week off so should get a few miles in.
Regards
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I have a caddy/dock that has eSATA and usb 2, but no SATA (normal, I guess) but it's difficult to get the connections for SATA speed (eSATA to slimline SATA)
I owned (back in the early eighties) both a T150v and a T160v, loved 'em both but could never stem the oil leaks, always had the spanners on them. The T150v punched a conrod through the crankcase one Sunday on my way to Donnington Park, never forget the ride home, my dad towing me with the car, hair raising 40 mile ride. The engine internals (which were left after cleaning up the road) were like aluminium paste - what a mess.
After the T160v was sold, I went Japanese until I quit, spanners went almost rusty they were so reliable. Always fancied the modern Triumphs though, never could afford one...pity.
741cc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 741cc »

The [url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-SATA-to-SATA-2nd-HDD-Hard-Drive-12-7mm-Caddy-CD-DVD-ROM-Optical-Bay-/350839294121?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item51afa6c8a9]caddy[/url] I use completely replaces the dvd drive, it sits inside the laptop, and when you swap the plastic trim over it looks the part too.

They are hot-pluggable too, so you could unmount and swap between several without re-booting should you wish. This assumes, of course, that any OS thereon is not running.

Ah, your tales of British bikes and oil leaks and bottom end failures (see [url=http://www.triplesonline.com/]here[/url] for more stories) have rightly been consigned to history by the [url=http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/]Hinkley[/url] Triumphs. I rekon I've done 30K+ miles in the last eleven years without a single leak, and only routine maintainance.

I think they still do free test rides for the sake of asking.......
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Yeah, I've seen those caddies, but I have a cable and adaptor, so I will try that. This is a reject computer I am using, so I don't want to spend any more on it.
On bikes, I covered 44,000 miles in ten months during 1992 as a courier, using an old GS850 Suzuki shaft drive. I used to carry a spare set of points in my pocket and when I felt it starting to hold back and miss a little, I would change them on the roadside, usually took me no more than fifteen minutes and on my way again for another few weeks. I eventually swapped out the points for electronic ignition control and cured that problem.
I could never have dreamed of doing even a tenth of that mileage on the old British bikes, but I loved them all the same. They were sort of like Linux (but not as reliable) - they taught me how an engine worked because I was always fixing them.
I wish you many more happy years of accident free biking - once it's in the blood....... 8)

Return to “Open chat”