Transfer files between Linux and Kindle...it's easy!!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyPanda45

Transfer files between Linux and Kindle...it's easy!!

Post by AndyPanda45 »

For anyone looking for a fast, easy way to transfer pictues, videos, documents, music, etc. between their Linux Mint machine and their Kindle, I would suggest a 99-cent app from Amazon called WiFi File Explorer Pro. It gets installed on the Kindle and that's all there is to it...just follow the prompts! The only stipulation is that both devices must be connected via the same network. I'm a Linux noobie and only slightly computer literate, and this was a piece of cake...try it!! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Transfer files between Linux and Kindle...it's easy!!

Post by Orbmiser »

Maybe something to do with the kindle setup?

As I just plug in my Nook Color tablet and open my file manager Dolphin and can move files back and forth between desktop and device.
Cinnamon just open Nemo same thing. Whether pics,video's,eBooks,etc... all can be copied,deleted,moved thru file managers.

Why the 99 cent app on the Kindle required?
I might be just missing something here?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I think the OP is referring to a network transfer of files. I looked at the application in question and it appears to set up an HTTP server on the android device. So all the client ( Linux desktop ) has to do is open an Internet browser and point it to the ip address:port of the Kindle device.

The regular version allows downloads from the device and the Pro version allows uploads to as well as downloads from the device - as far as I can tell. You can do the reverse using something like this on the Linux box.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
duped

Post by duped »

I am not sure if kindles and nooks run android but I can tell you that Kobo Arc ereaders do. That means you can use bit torrent sync and it is free, encrypted file transfers over the net and very fast. I have a 64gb kobo arc with 32 gb of music which I sync between my main LMDE machine, my family win8.1 machine and my arc. Also set it up to sync selected folders from the win machine to my kids arcs. It all works like a charm. I cannot praise BTsync enough.
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

I have Mint 16 on my office PC and LUbuntu 12.04 LTS on my HTPC. I had to install a separate (buggy) app called GMTP to transfer files between my nook and the LUbuntu HTPC. I was surprised when I plugged it into the Mint PC in the office that you could transfer files out of the box with no additional app, and much smoother at that.
AndyPanda45

Post by AndyPanda45 »

Hmmm...GMTP wouldn't recognize my Kindle at all, which is why I went looking for something else and finally came up with WiFi File Explorer Pro. I'm sure the hard-core Linux users consider me a wimp for not learning how to fiddle and diddle in terminal, or learning how to compile my own program, but all I wanted to do was to transfer some files. Sooo, if it works, use it :D !!
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

btsync on linux Mint http://youtu.be/T0msacmSJVg or Install and use Owncloud http://youtu.be/J2DG3e6p-KQ
BertieFox

Post by BertieFox »

I found the problem was that Linux Mint 17.2 couldn't recognise my Kindle Fire HD device, but as soon as I replaced the USB cable with another generic one (might have been my original white Kindle Paperwhite one) it worked fine. The black short lead supplied with the Kindle Fire is obviously altered in some way as it is principally for charging not communications.

The moment I used the different lead the icon popped up on the desktop as Fire, while in the file manager it appeared as USB Device.

Copying files and moving between devices is of course a doddle once you have done that and it is easy to do folder and file maintenance and deletion direct from your Linux computer.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Can't you use Calibre to send the book to Amazon and have the Kindle download the book from Amazon.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Total Commander Android has a WiFi plugin but the plugin also works stand alone €0,00

Return to “Open Chat”