Gotta hate parents

Chat about just about anything else
Knuckl3head
Level 1
Level 1

Gotta hate parents

Post by Knuckl3head » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:14 pm

I could swear my parents are working against me.

I am trying to build my own computer and I am working to get the money. However, today my mom got me a tablet without me knowing, now I owe her $70 for a tablet I didn't want in the first place. Have you ever have this happen to you?

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Gotta hate parents

Post by RacerBG » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:54 am

How about 700$ gifted crappy laptop? That was my "gift" before 4 years and already I'm thinking about how to get rid of it and by better one... :|
Proud of Linux Mint!

Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lingula » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 am

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but are you seriously whining that the gift you got wasn't good enough?

I am not looking forward to my kids' teenage years...

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

If you tell to car mechanic (for example) that he must buy a XXX PC without any preferences - maybe he will buy IBM 5150. The same situation is with me. My parents just know how to turn on/off the PC and they decided that THEY must choose my future laptop. Make conclusions yourself. Nowadays as a college student finally I have my own money and if we go 4 years back in time the story would be totally different. :wink:
Proud of Linux Mint!

Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Re:

Post by Adelante » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Such an awful thing to receive gifts from your parents. :P
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: Re:

Post by Zalbor » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Lingula wrote:I'm not trying to start a flame war, but are you seriously whining that the gift you got wasn't good enough?

I am not looking forward to my kids' teenage years...
Adelante wrote:Such an awful thing to receive gifts from your parents. :P
How is it a gift if he/she has to pay for it?

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

I was blessed with family that actually payed attention to what I was doing. Computers were bigger than the house when I was growing up, but I was building my own radio when I was a teen. Instead of getting me a portable radio,[which would have been cheaper] my mother took an interest in what I was doing, called my grandfather, that was a radio repairman and got the transistor I was needing to finish it. My aunt being a crazy as I am, put it in a matchbox and wrapped it up with a bow for Christmas. :lol: It was part of my Christmas so I didn't have to use the money from my summer jobs to pay for it.

I can also understand the need to upgrade a 4yr. old computer, I'm using a NetBook now I bought back in 2009 . [desktop craped out]Have you ever tried to repair pictures with an Atom CPU? :? Even if you can plug the 22inch monitor and not have to use the 9inch that is internal. Most gaming it out of the picture.

I admit things were never "peaches and cream" with my parents, and my life is far from that now, but we can still work together for a common goal. And they are probably just as happy as I am that most things are not their problem anymore. :wink:
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-17.1: KDE)

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Where can I get a tablet for $70?

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 pm

n/m. I'm an idiot.

Aristotelian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aristotelian » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm

"Thanks for getting this for me but it is not quite what I want. Do you mind if I return it for a refund or exchange it for a credit?"

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Knuckl3head wrote:I could swear my parents are working against me.

I am trying to build my own computer and I am working to get the money. However, today my mom got me a tablet without me knowing, now I owe her $70 for a tablet I didn't want in the first place. Have you ever have this happen to you?
the problem isn't parents. It's the mandatory gift paradigm that is promoted by commercial advertisers.

I could make a long list of crap people have given me,-- all well intentioned -- and completely un-related to what I was doing.

I finally started refusing gifts completely and that finally put a stop to the practice. I still help my kids out -- but -- with things they need when they need it. when a holiday comes around if you feel you must do something -- get together and go out for pizza.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open chat”