Where did Linux developer learn how to develop Linux?

Chat about just about anything else
Brahim Salem

Where did Linux developer learn how to develop Linux?

Post by Brahim Salem »

Aside from the known countries that support FOSS and Linux, Most countires do not support it or teach it at schools, especially USA and European countries ; but most Linux distros have a European or American background. So the question that begs an answer is where did Linux developers learn how to develop Linux???

In my country, you are obliged by law to use Microsoft products and aside from servers (most of them are Linux) Windows is ruining everyone's life :( Yesterday they sent me their representatives to my remote youth house to delete Linux Mint from the PCs and install "bugs bunny" on them and now my life is a mess and I'm froced to watch their "blue wheel" whenever I launch an application. It feels like travelling on a tractor to Mars :D They said they have conventions with USA to use their blue wheel on every PC. the paradox is that they have installed a Linux server "for higher connection speed", as they put it:D

funny world :D
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Where did Linux developer learn how to develop Linux?

Post by Previous1 »

Many linux hackers learned their "trade" by DIY. Much of Linux is written in C, so that's a good skill to have. But not a great place to start. Maybe this will help:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
Last edited by Previous1 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Brahim wrote:In my country, you are obliged by law to use Microsoft products
Wow! There are only two reasons I can think of for a law like that.
1) They are getting paid. And payoffs by a US corporation to a foreign government violates US law. (But corporate control of the US government has progressed to the point that anti-corruption laws are seldom enforced any more than half-heartedly.)
2) They can monitor their citizens' activities more easily. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Microsoft provided a better window into net activities.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi »

They said they have conventions with USA to use their blue wheel on every PC.
there's no way USA government have these such convention. it's definetely a lie. he's just using USA name to threathening you. next time, ask them to show the legal documents :p
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Brahim wrote:Most countires do not support it or teach it at schools, especially USA and European countries
This is totally false. In my engineering school we had Linux workstation...
And before university some schools have Linux OS too...

I know some of my friends in sciences university who have Linux OS during their courses... :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

austin.texas wrote:
1) They are getting paid. And payoffs by a US corporation to a foreign government violates US law. (But corporate control of the US government has progressed to the point that anti-corruption laws are seldom enforced any more than half-heartedly.)
2) They can monitor their citizens' activities more easily. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Microsoft provided a better window into net activities.
kurotsugi wrote:
there's no way USA government have these such convention. it's definetely a lie. he's just using USA name to threathening you. next time, ask them to show the legal documents :p

you are absolutely right austin .it is neocolonialism man :D multinationals are doing more and more mergers and they are tightning their grip on world politics. And we all know that The 1973 Chilean coup d'état was led by Coca Cola :D Watch "Capitalism: A Love Story" by Michael Moore and you'll understand the whole story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232qaFGyzwQ
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Brahim wrote: The 1973 Chilean coup d'état was led by Coca Cola
If you are talking about Chile, it would be Alcoa, not Coca-Cola, and they may have benefited from the coup, but I don't think they instigated it. (Although it was certainly instigated by the US.)
If you want to talk about Coca-Cola - they are not innocent. They instigated the coup in Guatemala in the early 1950's, along with the United Fruit Company.
I know it is hard to keep track of all these corporate coups...
I am sure what he was referring to was probably a deal with the US corporation, Microsoft, not the US government.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

You are right austin that was "Operation PBSUCCESS" :D But we all know that WTO, NAFTA and WTO are corporate fronts too that affect world politics. Back to Tunisia and the 3rd world, USA deploys cow boy diplomacy over here and they threaten you of cutting aid if you do not comply by their rules!

"Stuxnet" and the “back door” in their OS are all clear examples of the dark Microsoft side (Kaspersky spoke about issues like the Stuxnet-ready Windows causing disasters in nuclear Russian facilities). Microsoft just lets the thugs (FBI, NSA, CIA, police etc.) get in and do their deeds and can even interfere to help like in chine, to censor people. Microsoft joined the NSA's notorious PRISM program in February 2011 and During the first six months in 2013, Microsoft had received requests that affected between 15,000 and 15,999 accounts. The company has been in numerous lawsuits by several governments and other companies for unlawful monopolistic practices. In 2004, the European Union found Microsoft guilty in a highly publicized anti-trust case. (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft# ... Government)

Here is a good article list to read http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Mi ... nd_the_NSA

Microsoft is a multinational operates worldwide and it created an estimated three billionaires and 12,000 millionaires from Microsoft employees!! these guys with others affect the world politics to serve their interest and US diplomacy serves their best interest by making"the world safe for american democracy" :lol:

Do you want some mystery and consiracy theories!! here we go:

This is a synopsis of this http://removingtheshackles.blogspot.com ... orts.html
1- TheGates Foundation, aka the tax-exempt Gates Family Trust, is currently in the process of spending billions of dollars in the name of humanitarianism to establish a global food monopoly dominated by genetically-modified (GM) crops and seeds. And based on the Gates family's history of involvement in world affairs, it appears that one of its main goals besides simply establishing corporate control of the world's food supply is to reduce the world's population by a significant amount in the process.

2- Bill Gates' father, William H. Gates Sr., has long been involved with the eugenics groupPlanned Parenthood, a rebranded organization birthed out of theAmerican Eugenics Society. In a 2003 interview withPBS' Bill Moyers, Bill Gates admitted that his father used to be the head ofPlanned Parenthood, which was founded on the concept that most human beings are just "reckless breeders" and "human weeds" in need of culling (http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_gates.html).

Now do you think Microsoft can interfere in world politics?? :lol: :lol:
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

In my country, you are obliged by law to use Microsoft products

I doubt it.

LPI (Linux Professional Institute) and Government of Tunisia to certify IT graduates
Tunis, Tunisia and Sacramento, CA, USA - The Linux Professional Institute (LPI), the world's premier Linux certification organization, announced with the Ministry of Communication Technologies of Tunisia a program to train and certify young graduates in Linux and Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). ...
http://www.lpi.org/news/lpi-and-governm ... -graduates
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Flemur wrote:In my country, you are obliged by law to use Microsoft products

I doubt it.

LPI (Linux Professional Institute) and Government of Tunisia to certify IT graduates
Tunis, Tunisia and Sacramento, CA, USA - The Linux Professional Institute (LPI), the world's premier Linux certification organization, announced with the Ministry of Communication Technologies of Tunisia a program to train and certify young graduates in Linux and Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). ...
http://www.lpi.org/news/lpi-and-governm ... -graduates
yes you are right about this but you won't see an Linux at universities or schools :D
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

austin.texas wrote:
+1

Well Stated! MS doesn't tell it's users this upfront, but buried deep in the fine print of the EULA, reason #2 is correct. That's what MS really means when they say it's best to have a "live" (singed into) account, rather than a local one. With Windows 8 or 8.1, MS knows every app we install & can actually block ones that are unsigned (unapproved). They want total control of their customers & in the end will make Steve Jobs look like a good guy (actually he was to those in his circle).

I personally know only one Linux developer, really he's more of an IT professional, though he develops custom solutions for his clients. He did go to some form of school for the trade, but today most of what he does is self taught. Linux development isn't easy, but in the field, it's rewarding work. Income is better than that of a Windows developer & demand is higher.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009

Return to “Open chat”