Why do segments of my sentences go bold for a moment?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Why do segments of my sentences go bold for a moment?

Post by Mintstant Karma »

Can anyone here explain why, when I'm in the "post a reply" or possibly the "post a new topic" windows, I sometimes see a segment of my text become bold (just like that) for no apparent reason? It's very odd. I've seen it three or four times now in just a couple days. If I place the mouse cursor somewhere (anywhere) over the line and drag as if to highlight a part of it, the bold font goes away and it's back to normal.

It just happened again so I'm back to add detail. It happened this time as I was clicking my mouse's scroll wheel to scroll down within that compose window. Suddenly a segment of one line was bold. But then I also noticed that a roughly-equal-length segment just to the left of that one was mid-bold between normal text and bold text. Very strange. So it looked like this, though I can't show it exactly....

normal text normal text normal text normbolder text bolder text bolder text bolder text boldertbold text bold text bold text

All my sentences were intact, and the character heights were all the same; only their thickness appears to change. And I just made it happen yet again, this time on purpose, by moving the scroll wheel up and down a couple times over the text as I'm making this post. Curioser and curioser.

This is mostly just a curiosity; it doesn't seem to hinder the forum's usefulness. I ask for the sake of science. :)

Does this happen to anyone else, or do I have just the right combination of hardware, software, observation and curiosity to be the only one ever to post this? :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why do segments of my sentences go bold for a moment?

Post by xenopeek »

Does this only happen on this website? And only with your web browser, or also with other programs? I'd suspect either your graphics card driver or your browser. If you happen to be using Google Chrome or Chromium, add a few notches to your browser being the prime suspect. Do you have another web browser installed? Try that one for a while; or install one to experiment with.
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why do segments of my sentences go bold for a moment?

Post by Mintstant Karma »

Yes, as far as I've noticed, this happens only on this website, and only with my web browser.

I'm using Firefox, and do not have another browser installed. I'm using a live USB flash drive, so (evidently) can't install another browser to try. It's not that big of a deal, anyway, I was just curious.

The graphics card driver does seem like a logical suspect, assuming nobody else here has experienced this, and by your sole reply I have to think that may be true.

Return to “Open Chat”