How to boot Windows 7 from USB

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Brenster88

How to boot Windows 7 from USB

Post by Brenster88 »

I like this OS alot and I will use it in the future. However I need to reinstall Windows 7 due to convinence and because some of the windows programs I am trying to use don't work on wine. SO I am trying to reinstall Windows 7. I have the iso and the usb drive but it seems that everytime i try to do a usb boot, it just skips over it and goes straight to linuxmint. No warning or anything. I got into my Bios, set up my usb flash drive but it still doesnt seem to work. I've changed the format to FAT32 and NTFS but it doesnt seem to work. I've tried googling how to do it but all of the tutorials and forums are about downloading linux from windows, not the other way arround. The file is to big to run burn on a cd

I have the iso file on both a bootable usb and on my desktop. It recongnizes the usb but it skips it and goes straight to linux mint.
I am using Linux Mint 17.

Please Help and thank you for your support.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to boot Windows 7 from USB

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Brenster88.

The Windows 7 ISO images can be burnt on a DVD, not on a CD. Creating a bootable Windows 7 DVD from a downloaded genuine Microsoft Windows 7 ISO image file works flawlessly. At least it did so for me. :wink:
About how to create a bootable Windows 7 USB pendrive from inside a Linux system:
I will have to google around a bit, sorry, because the programme that I know which can create bootable USB pendrives holding Windows ISO images has to be run on Windows. This will not help you, I assume. - WinSetupFromUSB - OK, so let us find out whether my Google search will be more successful than yours, no warranty given ...

Create A Bootable Windows 7 USB Drive From Linux (Tested On Ubuntu)

Note:
In case your machine cannot be persuaded to boot from a bootable USB pendrive the WebUpd8 article will not help. In this case only a bootable Windows 7 DVD can be used.
My old desktop machine is such a crook. It should be able to boot from USB pendrives, marked as ZIP-drives, yet, it simply does not and drops back to booting from the internal harddisk instead. The same pendrives boot fine in 3 different notebooks. Hence on this desktop I can use bootable DVDs only.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
scryan

Post by scryan »

If the above instructions fail, and you have access to windows, there is an official tool offered to allow you to install from a USB if you download windows from the MS store...
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... vd_dwnTool

Ignore the download part, it should work with any official windows iso. I believe this tool is the one I used to install 8, but the article links to something about windows 8 as well if the 7 tool can't make an 8 bootstick (I think it can)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

assuming you have a windows 7 iso you don't need any special tools on Mint, just follow the instruction given here, I do it with windows 7 8 and 8.1

http://serverfault.com/questions/6714/h ... from-linux

to create an iso from a windows installation media (no tools neede)
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-ISO-File-in-Linux

Hope this helps

Return to “Open Chat”