Page 1 of 2

What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:48 pm
by TheWebaholic
I was just curious to see which mobile operating systems are most popular amongst Linux Mint users. ( f you currently use more than one, vote for your favourite). I originally assumed it would be Android (since it's based on the Linux kernel), but I know a few Linux desktop users who use iOS instead. When I asked on Twitter about this, some people said they were concerned about being tracked by Google for advertising purposes. Also I know there are some techies who use an old-style phone, presumably for similar reasons. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 pm
by jahid
Android 4.2.2

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:55 pm
by 0ddity
I use Omnirom, a modded Cyanogen ROM specifically for my phone so I can run Android 4.4.4, since my old phone phone isn't officially supported past 4.1.2. Also using a custom kernel with ram boost, fast charge and an OC (1.4 ghz max vs 1 ghz max on a single core CPU.)

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm
by Neil Edmond
I assume that by "mobile" you mean cell phone OS, right? And not mobile as in tablet, or laptop computers, which are mobile compared to a desktop system. If that's the case, then, my phone is not a smart phone, so it runs whatever OS Samsung built into it.

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:03 pm
by /dev/urandom
You may select 1 option
Really? Why only one?

The poll is misleading anyway, CyanogenMod is Android is AOSP is Samsung's TouchWiz thingy is HTC Sense ...
Interestingly, even the CM vote option is misleading. AOSP is not a "Custom ROM", it is the original Android - still, all smartphones come with a custom ROM pre-installed.

I'm currently on a 4.4-based AOSP ROM. I'm not sure what to vote here. :?:

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 pm
by colyn
I use the iPhone in part due to the security issues with Android.
Googles app store is so malware infested I had to dump my Android in favor of iPhone..
In addition you have to root the phone to use the most up to date OS.. My Android was always 3-4 updates behind..my iPhone is up to date with the very latest IOS and is malware free..

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 am
by killer de bug
I voted CyanogenMod.
I have it on my S3 mini, so that I can use the last improvement from Android 4.4.4 instead of the old default Android 4.1.2 by Samsung...
It's worth mentioning that I was able to install it without using Windows. Not as easy as with Windows, but possible :wink:

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 am
by wanderer7
Well, what about Replicant: http://replicant.us/
Which option should one choose in that case?

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12 am
by killer de bug
wanderer7 wrote:Well, what about Replicant: http://replicant.us/
Which option should one choose in that case?
How exactly is Replicant different from CyanogenMod?

Replicant uses CyanogenMod's source code as a base. It is rebranded to provide the Replicant look and feel (wallpapers, logos) and parts of the code are reworked to remove anti-features that can spy on the user. Most importantly, Replicant does not include any of CyanogenMod's proprietary components (programs, ibraries, firmwares) and instead provides free software replacements for some of these. The rest of the system is also adapted so that the free software replacements can run correctly.
So I guess you can choose the CyanogenMod (or other Android custom ROM) option :wink:

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 am
by wanderer7
killer de bug wrote: So I guess you can choose the CyanogenMod (or other Android custom ROM) option :wink:
Thank you, killer de bug. :)

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:58 am
by eanfrid
Symbian. Using a smartphone but not a tactile one (Nokia Asha)... I just can't stand tactile devices :roll:

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 pm
by TheWebaholic
Neil Edmond wrote:I assume that by "mobile" you mean cell phone OS, right? And not mobile as in tablet, or laptop computers, which are mobile compared to a desktop system. If that's the case, then, my phone is not a smart phone, so it runs whatever OS Samsung built into it.
Yes that's right, I'm talking about cell phone OS. :)
/dev/urandom wrote:Really? Why only one?

The poll is misleading anyway, CyanogenMod is Android is AOSP is Samsung's TouchWiz thingy is HTC Sense ...
Interestingly, even the CM vote option is misleading. AOSP is not a "Custom ROM", it is the original Android - still, all smartphones come with a custom ROM pre-installed.

I'm currently on a 4.4-based AOSP ROM. I'm not sure what to vote here. :?:
Yeah, it does get kind of confusing! I would just vote for Android in your case.
colyn wrote:I use the iPhone in part due to the security issues with Android.
Googles app store is so malware infested I had to dump my Android in favor of iPhone..
In addition you have to root the phone to use the most up to date OS.. My Android was always 3-4 updates behind..my iPhone is up to date with the very latest IOS and is malware free..
Yes, I know what you mean about late Android updates. I had to wait several months for my Samsung Galaxy S4 to be upgraded to Kit Kat. Next time, I might be tempted to buy a Nexus phone, as they always get the latest version of Android as soon as it's released by Google. I know someone who has the HTC One M8, and he told me that HTC have promised to update it within 8 weeks of Android L being released, which sounds pretty good. It looks like a nice phone too. So I'm not sure what Android phone I'll get next time, but I have almost a year before my current contract ends, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

I've never had a problem with malware in the Google Play store though, and I've been using Android for nearly 3 years now. I have an antivirus app installed (just in case) and I also ensure I only download apps which have good ratings from existing users.

I've heard of Replicant, but I don't know much about it. Does it allow access to the Google Play Store?

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm
by colyn
TheWebaholic wrote:
colyn wrote:I use the iPhone in part due to the security issues with Android.
Googles app store is so malware infested I had to dump my Android in favor of iPhone..
In addition you have to root the phone to use the most up to date OS.. My Android was always 3-4 updates behind..my iPhone is up to date with the very latest IOS and is malware free..
Yes, I know what you mean about late Android updates. I had to wait several months for my Samsung Galaxy S4 to be upgraded to Kit Kat. Next time, I might be tempted to buy a Nexus phone, as they always get the latest version of Android as soon as it's released by Google. I know someone who has the HTC One M8, and he told me that HTC have promised to update it within 8 weeks of Android L being released, which sounds pretty good. It looks like a nice phone too. So I'm not sure what Android phone I'll get next time, but I have almost a year before my current contract ends, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.
AT&T won't update if that is your carrier...
TheWebaholic wrote:I've never had a problem with malware in the Google Play store though, and I've been using Android for nearly 3 years now. I have an antivirus app installed (just in case) and I also ensure I only download apps which have good ratings from existing users.
I had several apps that with the updates had malware so I had to dump them. That was when Google stopped checking them...
TheWebaholic wrote:I've heard of Replicant, but I don't know much about it. Does it allow access to the Google Play Store?
I haven't heard of it so I don't know.. I've been using the iPhone for some time now..

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm
by Incentive I.C
I had several apps that with the updates had malware so I had to dump them. That was when Google stopped checking them...
Maybe you were using a "fake" Playstore. Those do exist. If the playstore isn't installed best to find and flash gapps instead of using an APK of it.
AT&T won't update if that is your carrier..
I always thought it was device specific not carrier specific :? According to the website they have a build of 4.4.2 Kitkat For the At&T Samsung Galaxy S3. SG3 came out with Jellybean.

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 pm
by Incentive I.C
Next time, I might be tempted to buy a Nexus phone, as they always get the latest version of Android as soon as it's released by Google. I know someone who has the HTC One M8, and he told me that HTC have promised to update it within 8 weeks of Android L being released, which sounds pretty good
You could get a play edition phone. I think they get updates like the Nexus.

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:14 am
by wanderer7
TheWebaholic wrote: I've heard of Replicant, but I don't know much about it. Does it allow access to the Google Play Store?
Replicant is a fully free Android distribution and it uses F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/
F-Droid contains FOSS apps only.
I don't know about Google Play Store, in Replicant forums someone asked this before and the answer was:
I suppose you can give it a try and see, but we won't provide instructions nor support about how to install and use Google Play with Replicant.
And I understand that, since what's the point of using Replicant if you're going to install a proprietary program later?

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 am
by colyn
Incentive I.C wrote: Maybe you were using a "fake" Playstore. Those do exist. If the playstore isn't installed best to find and flash gapps instead of using an APK of it.
I know the difference and that is not the case..

It's well known that Google store has malware infected apps they finally pulled a fake anti-virus app that had been known for sometime..
Incentive I.C wrote:I always thought it was device specific not carrier specific :? According to the website they have a build of 4.4.2 Kitkat For the At&T Samsung Galaxy S3. SG3 came out with Jellybean.
The carrier will modify the OS to their specs before releasing it to update the phone. Only the newest phones have an up to date OS untill the next one.. 4.4.2 is behind.. The current is 4.4.4 which I doubt will ever be made available for the S3..

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 am
by Monsta
eanfrid wrote:Symbian. Using a smartphone but not a tactile one (Nokia Asha)... I just can't stand tactile devices :roll:
Wait, but don't Asha phones use Series 40 instead of Symbian?

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 am
by eanfrid
Wait, but don't Asha phones use Series 40 instead of Symbian?
Maybe. I thought S40 was like S60 was Symbian... I'm not a phone geek. I mainly use my mobile for voice calls and sms, proof/evidence photos, while surfing the Internet on a tiny mobile screen is the least of my needs.

Re: What mobile operating system do you use?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:37 am
by Monsta
The option for S40 should be "I have an old-style/regular mobile phone (not a smartphone)" :)