Microsoft vs. Apple

Chat about just about anything else

Which do You Consider to be the "Lesser of Two Evils," Apple or Microsoft?

Microsoft
29%
Apple
33%
Undecided
38%

Total votes: 24

TechGuyAndrew

Microsoft vs. Apple

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

I was curious to see which company people view as the "lesser of the two evils." Now please realize I am not trying to start a full blown Microsoft v. Apple debate on, of all places, a Linux forum. I just want to see what people think about each of the companies.

First, I'll give my opinion. If Linux was non-existent and someone was going to go buy a new computer, I would much rather see them purchase a PC over a Mac. For me, I have always felt much more against Apple than Microsoft. For some good arguments against Apple, go read the previously mentioned thread, which pretty much covers my opinions. To summarize my main reasons against Apple, it is how closed source and proprietary Apple is with every one of their products that I don't like them. Also, typically when someone buys an Apple product, they end up getting sucked into what I call the whole "Apple ecosystem," never again to try any other operating systems. I won't go on anymore there.

I don't fully support Microsoft either. As I have gotten more into Windows, especially the Windows Server OS, I have realized just how bad Microsoft is when it comes to licensing. I have noted this on other topics I've posted in the past. It just seems ridiculous all of the hoops you have to jump through and limitations you have with Windows. For example, with WS 2012, you have to buy a license for every two processors in a server, a license for every user that accesses the server/domain, and a license for each remote access user. Then you have the whole Windows 8 deal and the fact that you can't really customize the client OS, which I am not going to discuss because hundreds already have.

Now that you have extremely brief summaries of my opinions against the two giants, which one do I think is worse. I am going to say Apple. In the absence of Linux I would side with Microsoft. Keep in mind that my opinion is probably tainted because I have grown up and currently work a lot with the Windows OS and Microsoft (I have my own PC support business :roll: ). One of my big reasons is that at least Microsoft let you build your own system if you wanted and install their OS on it, unlike Apple which forces you to buy their products with their OS pre-installed. Also, while their is limited cusomization in Windows, I don't even think the word customization exists in the Apple world. Last, PCs have almost always been cheaper than Macs, due to Apple unreasonably overpricing their products.

Okay so now you have my opinion, what is yours? Let the discussion begin. PLEASE keep all discussions clean. Also, make sure to record your opinion on the attached survey. If you vote and then change your mind, you can change your vote.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to tone down language

ktheking
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Microsoft vs. Apple

Post by ktheking »

They both want to make money the easy way with the biggest profit margins ,so they're both sitting at the same table of the merchants of death (ref. 'Thank you for smoking' , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss0jLHvMO20 ). Who is lesser evil ,the weapons dealer , or the tabacco giants ?

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

TechGuyAndrew wrote:I know that in the open source community, people generally hate both Microsoft and Apple
and how do you "know" this?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I've never used an Apple product (well, OK I used an Apple II a couple of times, decades ago) so I don't know much about them. But the people I know who use Apple seem to like their stuff OK. A couple I know have Apple phones, an Apple desktop, and an Apple laptop, and seem quite happy with them. Microsoft, on the other hand, I do have experience with. I was looking for an alternative to Microsoft products even back in the DOS days. It just seemed like their stuff was too buggy, and I didn't care for some of their business practices.

Two pastors I know use Linux. For them it's a moral choice: they don't want to contribute to companies whose business practices they feel are contrary to their faith and moral beliefs. The church I attend has computers that run Linux wherever possible. But there are also a few Windows computers in the church, and the sound mixer uses an iPad via wifi to control it, so there's a little of everything in the church. If it were possible to do so, I think the church would prefer to use Free/Open Source software exclusively.

I voted Undecided, as I prefer to use Linux and don't really care to use either Apple or Microsoft products.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

They are both evil but of the two Apple has the best OS..

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

OK, So i've used Windows XP,7,8 Linux RHEL , Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and Mint 17 + LMDE side by side for over a year now. The following is what I thought of it:

I will always and always stay on the Linux side of things if all my software was available (I use some highly proprietary software at work). I would even do Windows through virtual machine if I was allowed, but alas, it is not so.
I own a Iphone and Ipad and Macbook late 2008 Alu. A powerful PC with Windows 8 and Linux Mint. I use Mint 17 80% of the time - even for the Windows games through wine sometimes.
For portability and ease of "world sharing" - Apple (with Iphoto, Imovie, and Garageband and the plugging in of keyboards and such sound equipment) in a heartbeat. I would go for a Macbook if I had the money (not easily the Imac). They work and they give what I want when I want it - no hassle. For a price!!!
For everything else - Linux - in any form.
For that one thing every few months/years - well, there we're all screwed aren't we? you have to Windblows.

I give this feedback having used Linux almost exclusively over 7 years. But if I need to travel, work abroad in strange places my iStuffs go with me. Apple also has the Unix command line which I use a lot since I love it on Linux. - And believe me - Apple product are good, look good and work, It does not fail me, ever. I does not break.
But when I use Linux again (You can of course but Linux of your iProduct) I feel the freedom - the help from the community. The enhancemetns I have seem so far in 7 year are unbelievable! If this continues for the next 5 years - you will have an unbeatable awesome OS with almost any new Linux you get. - Remember - 97 % of the world supercompters run, wait for it, Linux.

My views are based Objectively on my ease of use and enjoyment while using it.

As for the iPhone and iPad - if someone comes out with something that gives me the same quality of service (I owned Samsung/HTC/Nokia before) then I will go for that, I have no loyalty to any of the brands.

That which gives me the most pleasure and the awesomest experience - that is the one I will go for.

Always remember that with Linux, giving enough effort, you can and will achieve the best results, always... I will even spend money (and have) on quality Linux products. I don't mind paying for something that gets me what I need. - I will also always give a few hours trying it on Linux and I succeed 80% of the time...

Enjoy the day.
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

I think I may have been misunderstood. I am not trying in any way to say Microsoft or Apple are better than Linux. I fully support Linux and have been using Mint for about a year now. I just wanted to see all of thoughts regarding both Apple and Microsoft, because as a Linux user you can just sit on the sidelines and laugh at both of them.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom »

Ah, the mid-90s when Apple was half-dead and Microsoft was dominating the PC market still leave their traces.

Microsoft is not evil anymore.
http://windowsitpro.com/paul-thurrotts- ... government

Apple is.
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom »

colyn wrote:They are both evil but of the two Apple has the best OS..
No.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

WrathOfFire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WrathOfFire »

Windows is a great OS, but Linux is a lot better. Mac, on the other hand, is a piece of crap with the Apple logo slapped on it.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

apemanx wrote:I would even do Windows through virtual machine if I was allowed, but alas, it is not so.
That's not true, you're allowed to run windows in a virtual machine
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

"Microsoft is not evil anymore.
http://windowsitpro.com/paul-thurrotts- ... government"

"This has serious implications.
If the US government is successful, then the trust in the cloud has just gone out the window for most businesses - especially non US."

- there are stacks of European companies that don't trust US based companies security or practices - any-more.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Bolle1961 wrote: That's not true, you're allowed to run windows in a virtual machine
No it's not.
The same for Office.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

You're still expected to pay for your Windows licenses, virtualised or not.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I prefer Apple simply because of the UNIX base, so if Linux wasn't around, I would use OS X. With that said, I don't like Apple's policy of restricting the os to their computers. Microsoft at least gives you a choice.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom »

If you want a UNIX base, why do you prefer Linux over BSD?

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

/dev/urandom wrote:If you want a UNIX base, why do you prefer Linux over BSD?

Maybe they'd like their hardware to actually be supported.

:|

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

Sorry BSD lovers...had to get that one in there.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom »

There are good chances BSD has WiFi drivers your Linux will never have. :mrgreen:

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

/dev/urandom wrote:If you want a UNIX base, why do you prefer Linux over BSD?
MIght like it (never tried though) but I was lumping all non-commercial *nix OSes under the title of Linux.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Open chat”