your opininons about pirated/illegally downloaded material

Chat about just about anything else
yigit
Level 1
Level 1

your opininons about pirated/illegally downloaded material

Post by yigit » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 am

before i migrated to Linux, i can say that i have lived an enlightenment and i ... i have erased all my pirated/illegally downloaded mp 3 files which amounts over 700 GB and all movies downloaded from torrent... and installed Linux mint 17... now i have been using Linux mint 17 nearly 4 months and for 4 months, i have no pirated material on my hard drive...now i am listening to radio, and it is odd but i feel more " quietude"
Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 32 Bit / KDE 4.14.2 / Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: your opininons about pirated/illegally downloaded materi

Post by Habitual » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 am

I commend your character.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Opinion: it is wrong to do so (use pirated or hacked games or other products); as it deprives the artists of revenues
--even if it is mostly the companies that benefit

Knowing its is wrong, or perhaps believing it is somehow OK, doesn't stop anyone from doing so
--I understand in the share all/connect all/social site/advertising world we all inhabit: the idea of of private data seems somehow anathema to those who just want to get it NOW..

WrathOfFire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WrathOfFire » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 am

I'm not saying that piracy is a good thing, but most pirates probably weren't going to buy whatever they illegally downloaded anyways.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:49 am

it's a major issue in this country:
- there is a thing colloquially called "Australia Tax"

- where foreign companies charge,
what is significantly more for the same product,
- that is sold in either the US / CA market

prompting the end consumer - to get that product "by other means".
- this applies particularly to products that are video / music / software based.

the current federal gov't is unwilling to prevent a thing called "geo blocking"
where the local market is blocked via it's IP addressing.
- it's both highly political & very unpopular. ..

and we haven't even addressed the issue - of those same foreign companies
- actively engage in Tax Avoidance - to the same federal gov't.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-29/g ... ft/4850484
and
http://www.afr.com/p/technology/apple_m ... g1jvJh7f5J

that was under the previous federal gov't - but nothing came of it - due to a change in the federal gov't.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Firry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Firry » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:18 pm

The piracy issue is part of a larger issue in our societies. In our parents' / grandparents' generation it was most common to buy things based on highest quality. Now things are just the opposite... we buy things based on lowest price. Rather than buy things that will last, we buy things that are disposable, have built-in obsolescence, or won't operate past the next one or two generations of updates. Piracy is part of this cheap-as-possible mindset. Having a product last a long time used to be a sign of a smart consumer purchase and of a good caretaker. Now, having a product last a long time makes someone seem unfashionable or cheap. The marketing departments of a lot of different industries have changed the way we think and buy things, in order to keep us buying things more often. This keeps sales brisk and profits up.

Most people used to have a small collection of their favorite music and films. Now that they're so cheap a lot of people have hundreds or thousands of them. When we pay less for them, their relative value to us goes down too.

Funny that back in the day of vinyl LPs, making a cassette tape of the LP for a friend wasn't a problem. Recording songs off the radio and making mix tapes wasn't a problem. It wasn't until the advent of CDs that the music industry became alarmed at piracy. Apparently a poor quality copy wasn't scary or offensive to the RIA, but a high quality digital copy inspired lawsuits. Why wasn't the RIA going after everyone with a cassette deck or a boombox back in the 70s? Hmm. Maybe there's something to quality after all.

Next time you buy something, ask yourself if the item you're buying is the best, how long you expect it to last, and who benefits from the purchase. Then try and figure out if there's anyone who might be negatively impacted by that purchase. The overworked kid in that Chinese factory, the family that lives next to that polluted river in Viet Nam, the neighbor who owns the local store competing with the bog box store, etc.

Thanks for listening.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Why wasn't the RIA going after everyone with a cassette deck or a boombox back in the 70s
Actually it did get it's feathers ruffled over cassettes.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/12/07/ ... echnology/

But thumbs up regarding our throw-away society.

Jamesc359
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jamesc359 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:51 pm

I'd commend your character as well. I personally don't advocate downloading music and etc. from pirate sites, but I won't judge those that do as I'm sure they have their reasons.

Just because you rid yourself of your ill-gotten gains it doesn't mean that you have to discard all the benefits of digital music and/or film. You're perfectly free to acquire legal music (and movies) through a paid services as well as ripping music from you CD collection. There's also plenty of other ways to enjoy music legally. Online radio stations and etc. I personally recommend Youtube and Spotify. :-)
“Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here.”

deleted

Post by deleted » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:31 pm

If you don't work for free, why would you expect someone else to?
-H

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:26 am

hinto wrote:If you don't work for free, why would you expect someone else to?
-H
The real question is why should you pay and not be able to do whatever you want with the software?
When I buy a computer I can change the hardware, the OS,... When I buy a TV I can decide how to use it, when I buy a car I can change the pieces, the oil, the tires...

SO why should I pay for a software and not be able to modify it to fix my needs?
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:39 am

I "pirate" music for one sole reason: 30-seconds listening tests rarely are enough to know whether you like a 30-minute Progressive Rock suite.
I buy what I like(d) indeed; and if I don't like it, I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

I doubt that's OS-specific.
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

deleted

Post by deleted » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 am

killer de bug wrote:
hinto wrote:If you don't work for free, why would you expect someone else to?
-H
The real question is why should you pay and not be able to do whatever you want with the software?
When I buy a computer I can change the hardware, the OS,... When I buy a TV I can decide how to use it, when I buy a car I can change the pieces, the oil, the tires...

SO why should I pay for a software and not be able to modify it to fix my needs?
Because you get paid for your work.
-H

doob9911
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doob9911 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:02 am

They have various reasons.
1. I want to buy that. But it is only available in certain countries. I cannot download it in my country.
2. I want to buy that. But it is extremely/insanely expensive and I cannot find good alternatives. It's monopoly. I am not slave.
3. I may buy that. But it is not allowed to try before buying.
4. I will not buy that because I will use that for short time.
5. I will not buy anything because I hate capitalism. All products should be free. No one must work for pay.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:36 pm

hinto wrote: Because you get paid for your work.
-H
That's totally unrelated.

Do you really think that when I buy a car the company who build it is not paid for this? Does this mean that I cannot change something in the car after that? No.
If I buy a software, I want the source code. I want to be able to tune the code like I want. That's a fact and it has nothing to do with being paid for your job or not.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

deleted

Post by deleted » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:32 am

That's not really the definition for piracy.
That would be opensource.

You cannot expect someone to give away something that they own. That would be something that they want to do.
That is, Nissan doesn't have to give away the schematics of their Altima, but they do. Coke on the other hand chooses not to give away their formula (nor does KFC).

Software Piracy, redirected to here, is to say, rip off Microsoft for Office or copies of Win7 without paying for it. In this case, the developers for Microsoft get paid for their work, just like you expect to get paid for your work.

-Hinto

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:16 am

Making piracy a moral question doesn’t do much as a preventative. Content suppliers need to figure out a different marketing model to protect themselves. What that model is I don't know but what they have now has never worked very well. I wish them luck.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

deleted

Post by deleted » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:23 am

Piracy isn't a matter of (moral) opinion. It is defined by law (which has little to do with morality)
it's a matter akin to Plagiarism
-H

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:17 am

hinto wrote:Piracy isn't a matter of (moral) opinion. It is defined by law (which has little to do with morality)
-H
I know that, I was commenting on folks who do see piracy a moral question, which they can but that will do very little to suppress the practice.. As to the legal aspect of piracy, enforcement has obviously failed as well that is why I suggested the need for a new distribution model.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JusTertii » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am

hinto wrote:Piracy isn't a matter of (moral) opinion. It is defined by law (which has little to do with morality)
-H
Actually, on this thread, the topic is asking for your opinions on piracy. So, yes, it is a matter of moral opinion, whether or not it's defined by law. As an aside, most Copyright Acts that I'm familiar with don't have "piracy" in their defined terms.

And no, it's not akin to plagiarism, because plagiarism involves taking someone else's work and passing it off as your own. That's the crucial difference. I very much doubt whether any pirates pretend they wrote whatever they ripped off.

Also, if you're going to run neo-conservative economic arguments (which is what I read your post as laying the groundwork for), consider the concept of a "free market". If people are going to rip others off unreasonably - see Pierre's post about the Australia tax - then market forces act to correct it.

deleted

Post by deleted » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:30 am

No, both are copyrighted.
And opinion really doesn't matter when it comes to the law. That's legal/illegal. Opinion only comes into play when passing judgement.
That is, it is wrong to download pirated cds/dvds, etc. But the judge's opinion can can give you 5, 10 years or none at all, depending on 1, 2, 4000 cds/dvds you have.
-H

Return to “Open chat”