Funding a "3D SVG Animation" export plugin for Blender

Chat about just about anything else
.Ne0
Level 1
Level 1

Funding a "3D SVG Animation" export plugin for Blender

Post by .Ne0 »

Mod edit: Split from original thread found here. New topics deserve new threads.

xenopeek wrote:Inkspace is the best vector editor around I think. You can make your animation frames with Inkspace, and then make the animation in post-processing with another application (like GIMP, Blender, ImageMagick+FFmpeg, and so on), or you can do it in Inkspace (but cumbersome right now I believe) with manual editing (explained here http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/SVG_Animation).
killer de bug wrote:
Pierre wrote:"Support alternatives instead."

+ 1
That's the best policy. I agree :)
OK, then let me change subject, and ask this...
How should I go about funding a "3D SVG Animation" export plugin for Blender ?
(something like what Swift3D did for 3DMax)
Free Your Mind

scryan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: funding a "3D SVG Animation" export plugin for Blender

Post by scryan »

.Ne0 wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Inkspace is the best vector editor around I think. You can make your animation frames with Inkspace, and then make the animation in post-processing with another application (like GIMP, Blender, ImageMagick+FFmpeg, and so on), or you can do it in Inkspace (but cumbersome right now I believe) with manual editing (explained here http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/SVG_Animation).
killer de bug wrote:
Pierre wrote:"Support alternatives instead."

+ 1
That's the best policy. I agree :)
OK, then let me change subject, and ask this...
How should I go about funding a "3D SVG Animation" export plugin for Blender ?
(something like what Swift3D did for 3DMax)
Well what did blenders devs say about that?

I will say, overall... You would think I was crazy if i ask you the best way to open a tin can with my wallet right?
Or if I wanted to know how to play my old pacman rom with grub?
Some things may not work. When I do actual engineering work, i cuss a bit and reboot to windows... Then google ways to make windows have a tiling window manager :D
Just because I love linux doesn't mean I can use it to play Playstation games even if my computer has better specs. You may simply have to use the correct tool for your work, which is not always free, or your favorite tool.

Back to my original question, not to be overly presumptuous or cynical... but I am betting you have not asked that same question directly of the blender devs have you?
If not, why not? It would seem they would know more about that then anyone. They are the best source of support for their program.

Basically, other than the kernel... None of this is here on its own. Things in linux only exist because enough people cared about them to sit down and write the code. People basically writing programs to fulfill their needs, and sharing them with others. If it doesn't exist, then this simply hasn't happened. This is an unfortunate part of linux, but hey you didn't write the code for it either did you?
Occasionally, it really is the case that just not enough people care... Or possibly just the right people don't care (no one cares AND programs). At that point the only way you could fund it would be to hire a programmer.
Otherwise, what you can do is make it known that it is needed. Contact the developer(s) of the programs you want to use that you think should support it, but don't. Be nice and remember that they have spent thousands of hours so you can have something awesome for free... But ask about it not being supported. Ask if there are any plans to support it, maybe its being worked on, or simply something they have not gotten to yet. Find other people with the same need and make mention of your numbers when asking developers about support. You may not want to flood their mailbox as a way of showing how great demand is as this could take away from the time they spend working on the project.... but if you had something like a discussion thread on an adobe forum (or other relevant forum) with a large number showing interest in linux support that could show them a large user base looking for a home it would be beneficial.

Return to “Open chat”