Windows 10 is worse than 8

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lmintnewb2

Re: Windows 10 is worse than 8

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Liked Xp, it's what I cut my teeth on, didn't dislike win7, though nowhere near as much experience with the OS. Anything beyond these imo, no thanks. Presently have 1 system with win8.1 on it and it's enough for me. Took literally dys to get up to speed and tweak the thing so it wasn't needlessly and pointlessly smashing my hardware, spying on me ( at least disabled what m$ spyware "features" I could find. Can't help but feeling I probably missed a few.)

M$ offerred free Win10 upgrade, in fact, had to track down and uninstall the m$ update they'd slipped into win8.1 that kept nagging me and reminding me a free "upgrade" to win10 was on offer. Errrr ... no thanks, win8.1 was more than enough. Though tyvm m$. :)

Not saying don't learn about win10, hope and don't doubt enough nixers will have 1st hand experience with the OS to provide the rest of us with plenty of quality information about it. Personally, nope, am good with win8.1 and at this stage am seriously considering getting rid of the customized win8.1 at first opportunity, after making a useable backup/reinstall media ... just in case.
Drygar

Post by Drygar »

Latest from Microsoft - they are more and more aggressive in their way to push Windows 10 on every PC on this planet

Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/301523 ... night.html

Bad Santa - Upgrade NOW or Upgrade Tonight
wl-2015-12-15-upgrade-now-100633358-large.idge.jpg
Paying Windows 7 and 8.1 customers have been subjected to:

Surreptitious installation of a potentially unwanted program, GWX, starting way back in April
Incessant nagging by a balloon notification in the system tray that "Your upgrade is ready"
Forced download of 3GB to 5GB of unwanted installation files
"Accidental" automatic launching of the upgrade program

(...)

On Sunday, Microsoft's over-the-top pushiness (or is it hubris?) led the company to introduce a new Upgrade to Windows 10 dialog, shown in the screenshot. Windows 7 and 8.1 users who click on the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray are now presented with two options: Upgrade now or Upgrade tonight. As you can see, there's no option to defer the upgrade, and no obvious way (short of the "X" in the upper-right corner) to dismiss the ad.

The fact that Microsoft introduced this "enhancement" on the weekend, shortly before the holidays, may have been a colossal mistake. Or it may have been a calculated maneuver to hit paying customers when they're least likely to have tech help at hand
1.png
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed swearing
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

To disable the Windows 10 upgrade notification and download, use GWX Control Panel. You can download it from here: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/. I used it on two computers of family members that use Windows 7; they haven't had a Windows 10 upgrade notification since and no background downloads wasting disk space.

Windows 7 has 4 years of support left (till January 2020) and their computer are a few years old. We'll figure out what operating system they want to use when it's time to replace the computers. Thank you Microsoft, for your presumptuous arrogance. But no, Windows 10 isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread :wink: Let's hope it drives more people to use no-nonsense operating systems that put the interests of their users first.
Drygar

Post by Drygar »

xenopeek wrote:To disable the Windows 10 upgrade notification and download, use GWX Control Panel. You can download it from here: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/. I used it on two computers of family members that use Windows 7; they haven't had a Windows 10 upgrade notification since and no background downloads wasting disk space.

Windows 7 has 4 years of support left (till January 2020) and their computer are a few years old. We'll figure out what operating system they want to use when it's time to replace the computers.
Hi xenopeek,

GWX CP is very useful tool especially for novice users who simply want to ignore Windows 10 update and remain on their current Windows OS. It is very useful, I also recommend it online. It saves time to anybody who want to remove the Win 10 nagging and files because all that this app does can be done manually but it takes more time than running the app.

In addition to GWP CP, for those who still run and have to run Windows 7, I also manually remove the following Windows updates or run this script in a bat file/CMD (found on GitHub)

Code: Select all

ECHO OFF
REM --- remember to invoke from ELEVATED command prompt!
REM --- or start the batch with context menu "run as admin".
SETLOCAL

REM --- (as of 2015-10-10):
REM KB3012973 - Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
REM KB3021917 - Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
REM KB3035583 - GWX Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
REM KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
REM KB2976978 - Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
REM KB3022345 - Telemetry [Replaced by KB3068708]
REM KB3068708 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
REM KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
REM KB3075249 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
REM KB3080149 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
REM KB3050265 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
REM KB3050265 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
REM KB971033 - W7 License validation check
REM KB2902907 - Compatibility update for upgrading
REM KB2976987 - Compatibility update for upgrading
REM KB3065987 - Compatibility update for upgrading
REM KB3075853 - Compatibility update for upgrading
REM KB3044374 - W8,8.1 Nagware for W10
REM KB3022345 - Compatibility update for upgrading
REM KB3068707 - Customer experience telemetry point. W7,8,8.1
REM KB3081452 - Ensures smooth experience for updateing OS to future versions
REM KB2977759 - W10 Diagnostics Compatibility Telemetry
REM KB3083710 - Client Update for W7 and for server 2008
REM KB3083711 - Similar to 3083710 but for 8.1 and server 2012

REM --- uninstall updates
echo uninstalling updates ...
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3012973 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3021917 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3035583 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:2952664 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:2976978 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3022345 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3068708 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:2990214 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3075249 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3080149 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3050265 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3050265 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:971033 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:2902907 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:2976987 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3065987 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3075853 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3044374 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3022345 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3068707 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3081452 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:2977759 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3083710 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.
start "title" /b /wait wusa.exe /kb:3083711 /uninstall /quiet /norestart
echo - done.

timeout 10

echo ... COMPLETED (please remember to REBOOT, and Hide the Following KB Updates)
echo ...3012973
echo ...3021917
echo ...3035583
echo ...2952664
echo ...2976978
echo ...3022345
echo ...3068708
echo ...2990214
echo ...3075249
echo ...3080149
echo ...3050265
echo ...971033
echo ...2902907
echo ...2976987
echo ...3065987
echo ...3068707
echo ...3081452
echo ...2977759
echo ...3075853
echo ...3044374
echo ...3022345
echo ...3083710
echo ...3083711

echo - done.

pause
REM --- EOF

Finally, I completely stop and set to disabled several Windows 7 services including Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) and Windows Updates.
Well, this will prevent Windows 7 (and Windows 8) from installing any MS updates (via the official method) but I don't trust Microsoft anymore so why allowing them pushing more and more unwanted updates? They are so arrogant and pushy with Windows 10 that even installed more official spyware {called Telemetry by them} in Win 7/8

xenopeek wrote:Thank you Microsoft, for your presumptuous arrogance. But no, Windows 10 isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread :wink: Let's hope it drives more people to use no-nonsense operating systems that put the interests of their users first.
:D :D :D +1
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will now require Windows 10:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... indows-10/
and
http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-micros ... ess-users/
The policy will be phased in beginning with systems based on Intel's new 6th-generation CPUs (code-named Skylake),
- New consumer-based Skylake devices must run Windows 10 to be supported.

maybe some more < older > PCs that are available for conversion to the World of Linux systems?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I love the new policy of Microsoft. They can even modify their own rules and nobody will say anything... :?
Pierre wrote:maybe some more < older > PCs that are available for conversion to the World of Linux systems?.
Maybe businesses should move to a Gnu/Linux world. This would stop this hostage situation.
Ark987

A countdown to move to Windows 10

Post by Ark987 »

I was shocked today reading this from the tech news!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... indows-10/

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... nnovation/
Microsoft wrote: Through July 17, 2017, Skylake devices on the supported list will also be supported with Windows 7 and 8.1. During the 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends. After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.
Does this mean that within few years any new Intel computer will be unable to downgrade to Windows 7/8?

So we better keep an eye when Broadwell processor are about to be sold out of the market, everything after Skylake is exclusively for Windows 10:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

But what about AMD?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: A countdown to move to Windows 10

Post by Pjotr »

I don't think many Linux users will care whether they can run Windows 7 or 8.x or even 10 on their machines....

I surely don't. If the need arises, I can always launch a Virtual Machine with Windows. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Ark987 wrote:Does this mean that within few years any new Intel computer will be unable to downgrade to Windows 7/8?
I remember times when I screamed loudly discovering my new XP computer unable to run W98 properly.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

But what about AMD?
- haven't read anything about their reaction - yet.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Pjotr wrote:
I surely don't. If the need arises, I can always launch a Virtual Machine with Windows. :wink:

Well yes and no, because Intel VT is common in all CPU now days, what will happen then is when you buy your new shiny Skylake CPU you wont be able to run Windows 7/8 even virtually because it wont be supported (aka no drivers).

So not even virtualization will help only Windows 10 could be virtualized on that specific CPU, starting from 3 years from now more or less.

Not a big deal for Linux users but if you ever need to run a Windows thing you are forced to use Windows 10 on that hardware.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

OS X is also in danger. I crying thinking about Apple's fate.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
tbellas3rd

Post by tbellas3rd »

Gotta say though, Windows 10 is a very solid, robust OS.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Ark987 wrote:
Pjotr wrote:

Well yes and no, because Intel VT is common in all CPU now days, what will happen then is when you buy your new shiny Skylake CPU you wont be able to run Windows 7/8 even virtually because it wont be supported (aka no drivers).

So not even virtualization will help only Windows 10 could be virtualized on that specific CPU, starting from 3 years from now more or less.

Not a big deal for Linux users but if you ever need to run a Windows thing you are forced to use Windows 10 on that hardware.
Are you sure? Because a VM is abstracted from the hardware. The hardware concerns only the host, not the guest.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

tbellas3rd wrote:Gotta say though, Windows 10 is a very solid, robust OS.
If only it wasn't for all those privacy violations, Windows 10 would actually be a fine OS.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Pjotr wrote: Are you sure? Because a VM is abstracted from the hardware. The hardware concerns only the host, not the guest.
Quite sure, with VT is what gives you the paravirtualization aka speed boost as you CPU is exposed to the VM. But honestly I don't want to test it as I would hit my head to wall :? I guess we will very that later.
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed »

Fragezeichen wrote:
tbellas3rd wrote:Gotta say though, Windows 10 is a very solid, robust OS.
If only it wasn't for all those privacy violations, Windows 10 would actually be a fine OS.
I agree it gets a little creepy. I hope it fails miserably.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

There is a solution against the spying :
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
konjad

Post by konjad »

Bolle1961 wrote:There is a solution against the spying :
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

There is an even better solution:
http://linuxmint.com/
Herr Wasp

Post by Herr Wasp »

Windows 8 (not 8.1) is fugly. It (8.1) sits in a prison on my Mini to be brutalized by malware testing. Also had to reinstall AM every time attempting to monthly patch and the reason was the release I bought there was patching needing to be done so likely caused that issue. Poor Windows 8 / 8.1.

Now, Windows 10 while not as fugly in most places is an OS I've been satisfied with. As long as I can keep doing what I want to be doing, no other OS will replace it on my main machine. Just remove the default apps from 10 and install preferred software as is and it will be fine. Every OS has a purpose, it is up to the EU to find out what that purpose is.

Return to “Open Chat”