Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows 10 is worse than 8

Post by Pierre » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 am

it's now on a countdown:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... n-july-29/

with 8 weeks to go. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:27 pm

That menu looks distracting and cluttered. Tiles, tiles everywhere! Perhaps it will work fine. It looks like it will work best with a touchscreen device?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:55 pm

xenopeek wrote: It looks like it will work best with a touchscreen device?
That's anyway the road they want to go. They want to conquer tablet and phone market.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:00 am

killer de bug wrote:
xenopeek wrote: It looks like it will work best with a touchscreen device?
That's anyway the road they want to go. They want to conquer tablet and phone market.
I'm tired of MS trying to force me into a phone and tablet. HEY Microsoft I don't want that! I'm also tired of them dumbing down everything to look like big baby buttons, and vague descriptions and information. The whole privacy issue and highly connected junk is a no go for me too.

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:32 am

doob9911 wrote:You must see bing gossip trend on search box.
It cannot be turned off.
WOW. Windows 7 will be my last windows os.
same here, after windows 7, everything is just POS
jimallyn wrote:98 was my last Windows. Microsoft will never get another dime from me.
hey i wish i moved to linux back in the 90's, did not understand what redhat linux was all about,
saw them in the shelfs at a local electronic store, the linux seed was planted!!!

Windows 10 is worse than 8,,, 8 is POS already, and 10? is a POS, every new windows is a POS,
i like windows xp, but get tired of blue screens. i could still be using it, if they support critical updates for 120 years.
cant there be a millennium amount of updates for an os? i say bring back windows xp and never change it(de,wm,fm) for the next 1000 years.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:04 am

reddot wrote: i like windows xp, but get tired of blue screens.
You like XP but it blue screened a lot. Doesn't it make it a POS? How can you like XP? It was very unsecure even before MS stopped supporting it.

I'm the opposite. The first good Windows was Vista but too bad manufacturers weren't prepared for it. The hardware at the time wasn't powerful enough for it and it got a bad reputation undeservingly in my opinion. Every Windows before Vista was a POS.
7 was and still is very good but it's showing its age. It looks dated and I am bored with it.
8.1 is my favorite Windows. Fast, uses less resources than 7, and more secure than 7. I don't mind the tiles too much because I rarely need to go to the Metro interface. Classic Shell took care of the touchscreen UI in a desktop nonsense.
10 was silly fast for me and very modern (by Windows standards) but I had to revert back to 7 in the machine that I had it on because some of the software I use for school is not supported 10 yet.

I will never understand the love for XP.

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:37 pm

z31fanatic wrote: I'm the opposite. The first good Windows was Vista but too bad manufacturers weren't prepared for it. The hardware at the time wasn't powerful enough for it and it got a bad reputation undeservingly in my opinion. Every Windows before Vista was a POS.
7 was and still is very good but it's showing its age. It looks dated and I am bored with it.
8.1 is my favorite Windows. Fast, uses less resources than 7, and more secure than 7. I don't mind the tiles too much because I rarely need to go to the Metro interface. Classic Shell took care of the touchscreen UI in a desktop nonsense.
10 was silly fast for me and very modern (by Windows standards) but I had to revert back to 7 in the machine that I had it on because some of the software I use for school is not supported 10 yet.

I think XP in general has a reputation for being stable. I've never encountered persistent BSOD like some are saying. Usually if something does go wrong, it was because of something I did like installing bad software or something. I actually agree with you about Vista. I think it is perfectly fine if you give it 2GB of RAM and a decent processor. I agree that it gets a bad rap for no real reason. In general I think it's pretty stable; although there have been a few times when I would encounter BSOD during install. Never figured out why, but figured there was a little hardware glitch somewhere. In the end I got past that, and my Vista works fine after all the updates. Win7 seems pretty good to me. Win 8.1 did not come across as resource friendly. There would be times when it would max out my cpu at 100% for a good half hour. It was trash on the computer that I had it on.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Mr_Reed wrote: I actually agree with you about Vista. [...] I agree that it gets a bad rap for no real reason.
:shock:
No real reasons? Nothing acquires a bad reputation for no reasons.

Here are the reasons Vista was a major disaster.
1) UAC. (so badly implemented.)
2) Constant unauthorized reboots to apply updates.
3) Constant hard drive activity.
4) the list goes on...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:44 pm

z31fanatic wrote:
reddot wrote: i like windows xp, but get tired of blue screens.
You like XP but it blue screened a lot. Doesn't it make it a POS? How can you like XP? It was very unsecure even before MS stopped supporting it.

I'm the opposite. The first good Windows was Vista but too bad manufacturers weren't prepared for it. The hardware at the time wasn't powerful enough for it and it got a bad reputation undeservingly in my opinion. Every Windows before Vista was a POS.

good points, my love for xp is gaming related, sometimes i would have to use win98se or winME for certain games like M.I.A. Missing in Action or Blood 2/Shogo. But thanks to GOG, they have updated old titles like system shock 2, blood collection, dues ex and work on winxp+. They are not the originals which sucks, but updated the GOG way, for instance they made stalker hardcore hard on easy mode :lol: on the final lvl. I usually play games easy mode, then move one difficulty up and play it again. Chaser is another ridiculous GOG game in easy mode, yet alone hard is a nightmare.

And for bluescreens few where hardware, but most driver related. I was addicted to counter strike for over 9yrs, also planetside for about 4-5yrs on xp, i did get some BSOD playing some Halflife mods, and CS1.3. I read about BSOD on the new CS:GO on win7+, never gamed sufficient in win7+, just played old titles for the sake of childhood memories, dues ex and system shock are really freaking hard on difficulty hard GOG version.

Im the type of user that does not like change, i dont want my DE, or file manager to be changed, modern OS? no thanks, i like it simple like xp or 98,
win8 FM is ugly as hell and bloated, its mando to have classic shell, i would also load it in win10, i did in beta stage.
Eventually i got a bluescreen in win7, and that was the end of my windows journey, i did not attempt to fix it. enough is enough im tired of being tired,
maybe yes windows 10 is better and 8.x, i just certainly not interested since i dont need any programs on the windows platform, or game anymore, maybe someday i will i dont know.

Now if MS would make a open source OS compatible with all windows software and give away the source of the OS that would be awesome!!!

Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:15 pm

killer de bug wrote:
Mr_Reed wrote: I actually agree with you about Vista. [...] I agree that it gets a bad rap for no real reason.
:shock:
No real reasons? Nothing acquires a bad reputation for no reasons.

Here are the reasons Vista was a major disaster.
1) UAC. (so badly implemented.)
2) Constant unauthorized reboots to apply updates.
3) Constant hard drive activity.
4) the list goes on...
I always thought people complained about the performance; which can be remedied by more RAM and a decent CPU. It doesn't have to be dual core, but I would avoid VIA C7. I can't speak from experience on their later Nano series, but a C7-M I had in a laptop was heavily taxed in Vista Home Basic. Some of your reasons were fixed by SP2 or at least somewhat tamed. I do agree that there is a lot of hard drive activity. From what I've found, it's related to indexing, automatic updates, and Defender. I think MS could have continued to tweak and improve Vista through a SP3, and even given people a SP4 for XP would have been nice. Don't even get me started on why they stopped at SP1 for Win7. It sorely needs SP2 or 3 by now!

KabirGandhiok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KabirGandhiok » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:17 pm

In my opinion, Windows 10 lacks originality. They took a ton of features from Linux, which they should have already included in earlier versions of Windows, for example workspaces. Why did they not include it earlier, and even window snapping. In Windows 10, a lot of how it looks has been taken from Plasma 5. And their Edge browser, looks exactly like the Vivaldi browser, so my question is, what did Microsoft work on if they just copied designs from other platforms, I think they only worked on Cortana and the ridiculous start menu. I was never a fan of their aero themes. They tried doing something different with windows 8 but metro was disaster, I hate the tiles. And the new start menu of windows 10 is utterly cluttered and lacks proper design aesthetics, because the tiles kind of stand out, taking all the attention away from the real menu. Cortana? I don't need that, and I never want to use it, not because of all the privacy violations but because I find it odd to tell my computer to check my email, maybe I'm not that lazy, but that doesn't mean I like the idea of a thousand clicks just to get to the control panel. I can't say which is worse, windows 10 or 8, because they both suck and I would rather use a fountain pen than windows.
Microsoft days for me are finally gone, I'm happy to run Linux Mint without dual boot, I'm happy I wiped windows off my laptop, I can never understand what it is about windows that makes it such a massive memory hog. Even if I was doing absolutely nothing in windows 8.1, the available RAM would always be less than 50%, where did all that RAM go, I wondered. After reading, I discovered that metro apps, always remained alive and kept feeding of off the RAM. One has to literally right click and select close or end process them from the taskbar to shut them down. I would much rather have more RAM available than faster boot if I had to choose. Windows 10 design... not my taste. I'm sick of the flat and highly colorful designs.

Out of everything that I hate about windows 10, what tops the list is automatic updates. My laptop is not a rental, and if wanting the freedom to update whenever and whatever I want, requires me to get their windows 10 pro license, then Microsoft has one more screw loose than I thought.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:55 pm

KabirGandhiok wrote:Even if I was doing absolutely nothing in windows 8.1, the available RAM would always be less than 50%, where did all that RAM go, I wondered
It is windows Superfetch caches data to RAM so that it can be immediately available to your application. If some application requesting more RAM, superfech will clear some cache. BTW, rest of your RAM just spending electricity for nothng. It's not good, so not? Better if all 100% will occupied by cache.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:09 pm

As i have mentioned before, the automatic updates have been flawless and that is because of the new system they use, which is: 1) Miscrosoft testing 2) Insiders fast ring 3) Insiders slow ring 4) FINALLY, the general users.

By the time the general users get them, they are very solid and reliable...Personally, i love the new start menu and pin my favorite and most used apps to live tiles...one click on a tile, and there's my app!

Windows 10, for me, is the best windows they have ever done...it's easy to use, doesn't have that old fashioned windows feel and actually got me to come back after years of being on linux...and as a big linux fan, it would have to be REALLY REALLY good to get me back...and it did :)

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:34 pm

craig10x wrote:..it's easy to use, doesn't have that old fashioned windows feel and actually got me to come back after years of being on linux...and as a big linux fan, it would have to be REALLY REALLY good to get me back...and it did :)
You traitorz$$$ :mrgreen:

Agree about the 10 start menu. I don't love it but I do like it and I did use it together with classic shell when I played with 10.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:03 pm

I know...i know...i was just as "shocked" as you are about it...i don't know how it did it...but it "stole my heart" :wink: :mrgreen:

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 pm

You M$ shill, you! :mrgreen:

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Funny part is, i have been mostly linux since 2009 (as you will note from my join date here)...initially with ubuntu, then linux mint for a few years and then back to ubuntu when unity arrived. Just small excursions using windows 7 and windows 8 briefly with a pirated copy just to check it out....

I only have one computer, which is a toshiba 17" which serves as my desktop and when i bought this one 3 years ago i just made the restore discs for 7 and went right back to ubuntu...Recently i put the 7 restore discs back in and then upgraded to 10 (to take advantage of the free offer and just give it a try). Figure i would probably just use it for a few weeks and then go back to ubuntu but as i started using it, i said "hey, you know, this is actually pretty nice to work with on a daily basis".
Next thing you know...i was "hooked" :D

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 pm

z31fanatic wrote:You M$ shill, you! :mrgreen:
Wow, z31! Coming from you! :roll: :lol:
( I have to admit, although the above is completely made in jest, you've confused me yet again. ;) I thought you loved Windows 10, yet you mentioned "when I was playing with it." Did you drop it, or just quit playing with it?)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Reverted back to 7 in my main machine because the CAD and CAM software that I use in school is not supported in 10 yet. I still have it on a low powered desktop that I use as a HTPC but I don't get to play with it that often.
I am OS agnostic. I like them all. :mrgreen: Each has its use for me.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:24 am

By the way, with all the fuss made about the auto updating...on a daily basis, all i get is the windows defender definition updates (that keep defender up to date) and they download and install in less then 2 minutes...

Large packages of updates only seem to come in once every two weeks or so..and they only take a few minutes to download and install if you have a good speed internet connection...so, it isn't like you get bombarded with huge amounts of updates every day...

Return to “Open chat”