Switch From LM Ubuntu to Debian Base.

Chat about just about anything else
peterldg
Level 2
Level 2

Switch From LM Ubuntu to Debian Base.

Post by peterldg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Cinammon Rebecca Ubuntu 17.1 - geeks love assigning code names.

The Ubuntu base works well on my laptop. My desktop hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth and needs something more refined.

I think the addition of Compiz has something to do with it?

Anyways- These are the differences when installing the Debian LMDE version-

First- the timezone map shows topography. The Ubuntu installer has nothing that fancy.

Second, and most important. The installer does not assign the root- So you have to right click the partition and select "/" root-

I've noticed that Kali-Linux has moved to the Debian base. These people probably know best about security?

I think I'm finally figuring out all the names.

"Hey, what distro you on?"

"I'm on Rebecca Mint Debian?"

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Switch From LM Ubuntu to Debian Base.

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Second, and most important. The installer does not assign the root- So you have to right click the partition and select "/" root
Are you sure? I think I remember the same process when I installed both Mint and LMDE.

As you probably know, Kali is the rebirth of BackTrack. BackTrack was based on Ubuntu (or so I've read) and Kali (a favorite distro of mine) is based on Debian--I believe the Stable branch.
Kali in its default configuration is actually not that secure. If you've noticed you generally log in as root, which allows full privileges to all applications. The purpose of this is that many of the tools require elevated permissions to run. Logging in a root means that you don't have to type in your password every time you run these tools, which is convenient. However, it also gives malicious attackers full permission to do whatever they want without knowing your password.
This can easily be fixed by setting up an admin account and using it instead of the root account. You will have to type in your password much more often but it provides an additional level of security from malicious hackers.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

peterldg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by peterldg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:24 am

Yes- Why would you run penetration testing with anything other than root privileges?

Kali-Linux is a Debian based penetration testing distro.

The quieter you become- the more you can hear.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:50 am

I'm guessing you're asking why wouldn't you run pen testing in the root GUI account? (it's somewhat safer in a terminal window.)
Because someone else can easily run pen testing on you. Imagine the irony of a hacker being hacked. You make it easier when in the root account, because everything runs with elevated privileges. If on the other hand you run everything in a admin account. Only the things that need privileges get them, and on a limited basis. That's why you may have noticed that the sudo command times out after a certain period of time in terminal in your Mint account--which is likely an admin account. If you were in the root account you wouldn't even need the sudo command--everything already has elevated privileges.
Now let's assume that there is a bug in gedit, or OphCrack. That bug has full privileges if you are in the root account. If an attacker manipulates that bug, there is a chance that he can access your system. On the other hand, if you were in a admin account, that bug will have a much harder time being manipulated, as it does not have elevated privileges unless you specifically allow them. Even then, the privileges can expire more easily. Any cracker would have to work much harder to compromise your system.
Remember that the whole point of security is to make it harder to be attacked. On computers, as in the real world, you can't stop an attack. If someone really wants to, they can attack anything. Your goal is to make it difficult. Don't give them the tools they need. Be proactive in monitoring your system. Do your best to stay obscure, so that crackers are not attracted to you. And don't do anything that you feel unsure about. Trust your instincts. If you are too cautious, you can learn what is safe and give yourself more freedom. But if you are liberal with your computer's security, you can give everyone else whatever freedom they want with your machine.
Best to you
Fred

And yes, "The quieter you are, the more you are able to hear." Kali was my first Linux distro, and I fell in love with that motto. It's safe to say that Kali was the hook that drew me into Linux.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Open chat”